Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Not so funny now.

That was some trailer!!!. And it would have surprised a lot of people if they had. Saw it when it was released then.

How do you know so much about sparrows?
index.php

Wicked wicked Zoot ... she is a bad person and she must pay the penalty. And here in Castle Anthrax, we have but one punishment ... you must tie her down on a bed ... and spank her. Come!

Silly English kniggets!

For at least ten years I thought they were saying some weird word like "coniggots" which made absolutely no sense, and there was no internet at the time to clarify such things.

And..."The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch". A favorite movie of mine, as well as "Life of Brian".

"Brian" took me longer to appreciate. But now I think it's every bit the equal of "Holy Grail".

I have watched the Monty Python crew from their Flying Circus days and I well understand their humor. In Search of The Holy Grail is my least favorite of the list. The scene at the bridge when Arthur hacked the arms and legs off the challenging knight wars not in any way funny. Incidentally the reason why they had coconuts instead of horses is they did not have the budget for them. In my opinion the best of all of the Monty Python movies is Jabberwocky (1977) from a historical prospective the movies setting are extremely accurate than you put a layer of Monty Python humor on it and it is a howler for somebody who has knowledge of the time frame, the 15th Century.

Last edited:
For at least ten years I thought they were saying some weird word like "coniggots" which made absolutely no sense, and there was no internet at the time to clarify such things.

"Brian" took me longer to appreciate. But now I think it's every bit the equal of "Holy Grail".

We were sort of watching for the hundredth time at a social gathering when a friend who wasn’t really paying much attention realized kniggots.

African or European?

My kids were infected with MP at an early age although my son retained it. When he was in the ~3rd grade his teacher was talking about swallows and casually tossed off what their wind speed velocity might be? My son piped up "African or European? and his teacher was gobsmacked. Told us about it in the parent-teacher conference that he'd never gotten that response before.

It's definitely better than the Grail but that's like comparing good beer to really good beer, you can drink both and be happy. I saw Brian on release when I was attending a parochial boarding college. When the film ended I noticed how many in attendance were classmates. Talking about it later we were all convinced lightning would come down at any moment and torch us. Especially so with the stoning of Stephen scene.

Back
Top Bottom