Moody Precision Tools, The Best!

I used to use a multibit almost exclusively because it was magnetic. I bought a nice magnetic fixed bit #2 Phillips and it's become my go to for anything it fits.

I also picked up a DeWalt brushless impact driver and use it way more than I thought I would. Getting into chassis has never been so quick. :D

I recently bought a $99 Dewalt brushless drill driver with the light duty 20v batteries. I like it, BUT, the reverse switch is a little too convenient, location wise. I keep knocking it for wrong direction. Frustrating. And can strip screwheads that way.

This is what I have been talking about for a good year and a half. ^^

The Hammerhead is not going to drive deck screws, but for audio work, its so perfect its scary LOL! and you are absolutely correct @transmaster the torque and speed for audio work is spot on. :)

Oh, but it will! :)

I drove eight 2" deck screws with mine. It slowed on the last one though. Recharged and everything is good.

Di

Did you get the 1/4 drive impact wrench? I have drooling over it for several years. I have 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4 inch drive socket sets and I use the 1/4 drive more than both of the others.

View attachment 1165450

It's the one that takes hex shaft bits. I bought adaptors to be able to use standard 1/4 and 3/8" sockets with it. It's got a boatload of torque, I used it to bust some nuts loose when I did the brakes on my car. Had to use ear protection for that one. :eek:

As mentioned by @Old Guy8 , the reverse switch could be a little stiffer to avoid accidental switches. I like that mine has three torque settings. The lowest is extremely easy to control.

I want to buy three or four of the highcap batteries for it.

I have the Milwaukee 1/2" impact for bigger car tasks. That thing is monstrous.

Di

Did you get the 1/4 drive impact wrench? I have drooling over it for several years. I have 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4 inch drive socket sets and I use the 1/4 drive more than both of the others.

View attachment 1165450

It's the one that takes hex shaft bits. I bought adaptors to be able to use standard 1/4 and 3/8" sockets with it. It's got a boatload of torque, I used it to bust some nuts loose when I did the brakes on my car. Had to use ear protection for that one. :eek:

As mentioned by @Old Guy8 , the reverse switch could be a little stiffer to avoid accidental switches. I like that mine has three torque settings. The lowest is extremely easy to control.

I want to buy three or four of the highcap batteries for it.

I have the Milwaukee 1/2" impact for bigger car tasks. That thing is monstrous.

The kit I bought about three years ago is the one where the impact drill took hex bits.
I actually had no desire to buy another impact drill. The old style 14V one I had was still working fine, but to get the better 20v regular drill I had to buy the kit that included the impact. At least around here I had to.

I figured they'd be pretty close, but about a year and half ago pulled the old 14v out and used it at a job where I was redoing a sub floor. I only had the two 20v batteries with that kit, but 3 for the old one. The old one was really sluggish compared to the new one.

I use Megapro at work as well.. good stuff it is. I'm with you on the multi bit drivers, not really my thing, but I do have and use that exact driver (in blue) often.

Lately my tool bag consists of a drill (Milwaukee M-12), the Dewalt Gyro or the Bosch "GO", just depends on what is closer to me at the time. A few quality bit sets, and a few tools specific to my work. I can say the GO driver has been one of the best drivers for me. Has plenty of torque for an electric screwdriver, so much so if you are not careful thing will spin your whole arm. Its funny seeing co-workers use it for the 1st time.

As for the Megapro for audio work, the driver would be good, but the security bits may not see much use. On the other hand, swap out a few of the double ended bits with finer Philips and smaller flathead bits and could be a great tool for audio.

Kind Regards,
John

I use Wera, Snap-On for any fine work I need to do, I really like the Wera drivers.
Oh, and I like Bosch stuff. Mostly.
My jigsaw is a Bosch, as is my portable table saw and stand. Both are fantastic tools. The table saw/stand is fantastic for a guy who flies solo.

Way back when we bought this house(and I didn't know jack about woodworking) I bought one of their mitre saws. Meh is about as nice a word as I can say about it.
Also, that dishwasher I mentioned on the last page was a Bosch. Great unit when it worked, but what a lemon.

I currently have 3 Bosch routers 2 of which are full-size and a palm size, and then there's the
7518 Porter Cable a beast in the 6 foot double ended router table, yah I like routers.
You've got issues!

When I worked in a cabinet shop the owner liked P/C routers. He had a few full sized ones, plus a palm size.
I really liked them.

My router is a Craftsman that was a hand-me-down from my grandfather. Does the trick for the odd time I need it, but it's darn kludgey. If I were to buy another one I'd aim higher.
Can't say I recall using a Bosch router, but they'd certainly be on the short list.

Oh, and I like Bosch stuff. Mostly.
My jigsaw is a Bosch, as is my portable table saw and stand. Both are fantastic tools. The table saw/stand is fantastic for a guy who flies solo.

Way back when we bought this house(and I didn't know jack about woodworking) I bought one of their mitre saws. Meh is about as nice a word as I can say about it.
Also, that dishwasher I mentioned on the last page was a Bosch. Great unit when it worked, but what a lemon.

This is the 1st Bosch tool I've owned, I can say the build quality is fantastic.

The "GO" driver has a torque setting, but in order to operate it you must apply pressure to the bit/chuck. For amps its fine, but for standard speaker screws, I'd not use it. I did try it on some L26's and sure enough it ripped the back set nut that JBL uses right out of the MDF. A little to much power for some light work. For amp work it would be a good driver, but I can say I would prefer the hammerhead on any of my gear, less room for error.

index.php

@John James , you should check out the GO, this thing will not only drive a 4-6" into a 4x4 it will do it with no problems at all. Mind you its not designed for it, but if needed it will get the job done. :)

I was looking at the Hitachi for a good while, how do you like it? I read that the chuck on it tends to wobble, not sure if that is true or not. They do have good reviews on a few sites.
I love it. The chuck doesn't wobble at all, and I've used it almost daily for the last 5 years. Comes with 2 batteries, so one lives in the charger. Very good battery life, and you've got to love lithium/ion batteries; practically full output until exhaustion.

I'd buy it again, and there are only a handful of tools that make that cut for me. My Hakko soldering/desoldering tools are in that category.

I'm going to have to check out the Moody Precision tools now.

Yeah, my main MegaPro is the blue/yellow one.
If I buy another one it's going to be the pink one, just to screw(ha!) with people!

I really should look into one of those smaller drivers. I have plenty of moments where I think pulling out the drill is too much, but end up torquing a screwdriver for too long.

I use the Dewalt Gyro all the time, after a few days of use you don't even realize it any more. Your natural reaction to pull or drive a screw becomes a lot faster and easier. Since I have been using the Dewalt or the Bosch my drill has not gotten much use.

I love it. The chuck doesn't wobble at all, and I've used it almost daily for the last 5 years. Comes with 2 batteries, so one lives in the charger. Very good battery life, and you've got to love lithium/ion batteries; practically full output until exhaustion.

I'd buy it again, and there are only a handful of tools that make that cut for me. My Hakko soldering/desoldering tools are in that category.

I'm going to have to check out the Moody Precision tools now.

Check out Wera tools as well, you should also check out ISO-TIP Soldering Irons

https://iso-tip.com/

I have the 7700, for standard PCB board work its amazing. I do have a few full stations, a full Weller bench station, and a few Hakko Irons. I have to say, for a cordless iron, the 77/7800 is hands down one of the best irons one can have. Id not really use it as a portable iron, as its not intended for that. Think cordless phone... The base station sits on the bench, and with every few solder joints, you let it reset/recharge while your working. Don't be fooled by the old Ni-Cad batteries on the iron, Lithium batteries would not work for this application. Really a great iron.

Kind Regards,
John

Here is one screwdriver lineup that I highly recommend,both for being very well made as well as very convenient.When you can't carry entire sets,these are a great,inexpensive option.I own most of their models:)

http://www.picquic.com/

View attachment 1165676
Oh yeah, they make good ones.
I've had the stubby one for 20(?) years. It just lives in my drill bag.
You never need one, until the time comes that you need one. And carrying around a full set of stubbys just adds weight and takes up space. It has also saved my bacon when I misplaced a bit for my regular drills.

Here is one screwdriver lineup that I highly recommend,both for being very well made as well as very convenient.When you can't carry entire sets,these are a great,inexpensive option.I own most of their models:)

http://www.picquic.com/

View attachment 1165676

Good Stuff ^^

have a few, and can say the build quality on the drivers are really nice. I have the green and yellow ones (Medium and small). I use the torx bits on the mini one all the time actually. Pretty sure the steel is D2, Not sure what the handles are made of but it has a nice heft. I can get some good pictures when I'm at home.

Back
Top Bottom