mOOn / BF

Johnny

Senior Slacker
Hey guys

Took my newly aquired au717 in for a professional cleaning and a check up , wanted to make sure all is up to spec`. Just got off the phone with the guy, he says all is just fine, had it on the bench and its putting out 250 wpc into 4 ohms .

Is this possible ?? Is this guy a hack ? Or is he on the money ?

This is the same guy that fixed my G9700 two years ago and shes still working perfect. 250wpc sounded a bit off to me. I dont care if its 50 or 300wpc, I would just like to know if the guy I`m taking my gear to knows what hes doing.

J

Ahhh that sounds a bit optimistic to me. Try 85 wpc if I recall. Is your Tech talking about dynamic headroom or some other screwy rating ? :dunno:

I only talked with him for a moment, but I`m picking it up tomorrow and I`ll have the the full poop then.

J

Hi guys,

I might be a little late for this response, but that 85 watt rating is into 8 ohms, not 4. Still shouldn't make THAT much difference, though. I just looked at the sansui.us site, Not many details on power ratings for the 717 -- in fact NOTHING for 4 ohms -- but the older AU-9500 has about the same 8-ohm RMS rating, so the other figures aught to be in the same ballpark:

IHF Music Power (IHF): 260W (4 ohms l,000Hz), 220W ( 8 ohms 1,000Hz)

Continuous RMS Power (each channel driven): 120/120W (4 ohms 1,000Hz), 85/85W (8 ohms 1,000Hz)

Continuous RMS Power (both channels driven): 115/115W (4 ohms 1,000Hz), 80/80W (8 ohms 1,000Hz)

So, maybe this "IHF" figure is what he's talking about. I'm familiar with RMS, "peak" and "overhead" power, but does anybody know what IHF stands for, or actually what it means?

John, I think you are right on, ( 4 ohms 1,000 Hz ) I`m sure that is exactly what he was refering to. Yeah, I couldnt find any specs on the 717 either. Thanks man.

Dunno bout the " IHF" figure (??)

John

John W

Hey the more the merrier. Now i just yanked one of my sansui brochures for the G7000 which just so happens to be rated at 85wpc @8 ohms. Into 4 ohms its 95wpc. Really I can see the 717 being a whole lot more then that. Now once you get into the big boy Recievers like the G33000 its ratings go from 350 wpc @8 ohm to 450 wpc @ 4 ohms.

Grumpy

I found these in an old ad for the AU-719.

THD less then 0.015%
Power 90wpc @ 8 ohms

Not much help. I am sure Beatlefred has the exact numbers floating some where.

Grumpy

Sansui AU-717 was reviewed in Stereo Review mag Feb 78. And I have some other reviews as well around here, including one that Jack (car 67) sent me from an overseas audio publication.

The rms power level cited in S.R. before clipping was 128W. Actually if you had some power dummy load resistors and an oscilloscope, you could do the test yourself to measure the power output of your amps/receivers.

I can assure you though, as has been mentioned in mag reviews, the AU-717 is very load tolerant, and a 4 ohm load should present no difficulty at all for this model. It is extremely well designed and it sounds that way too- alot of listeners in the listening panel (from car 67's review he sent me) had a distinct preference for the AU-717's sound in comparsion to the other models also tested (Luxman L-10, Marantz 1122, Niko TRM 750, Yamaha CA-810).

I did post the excelllent AU-717 description that was from one that was recently on Ebay, I hope everyone read it here- that description pretty much tells you all you need to know about the amp. I have corresponded with the person who wrote that description by the way (He has to sell his hi fi stuff because he is moving back to his home country soon, Croatia). Very knowledgeable guy.

In fact, he told me words to the effect that the AU-717 could handle a 4 ohm load better than an AU-919- the AU-717 has more space inside, not as tightly packled in as the 919, and so, more room for heat sinks, and thus 717 can run cooler over longer periods than a 919 can.

I dont recall you mentioning which speakers you are using, if its 4 ohms or not, in which case it doesnt matter. Regardless, I wouldnt worry about it at all, the AU-717 is a Great amp, and probably THE most popular Sansui integrated they ever made. Aint ever selling mine, thats for sure:)

Thanks B/F, and all. I did read that discription of the 717 you posted. Actually thats what pushed me towards the 717 to begin with :D :D :D So, Thanks.

So far I`m very happy with this amp, sounds great and I love the looks of the TU-AU combo. B/F, my speakers are rated @ 8 ohms, he just tested the AU at 4 ohms. Is that fairly standard ?

Cant wait to pick it up today !!!

Thanks again,

John

Agreed -- 70's Sansui amps rock!

I agree with BeatleFred -- practically speaking, unless you're trying to power a VERY large area, the 717 should be more than enough. If it's anything like the 9500 (and I've always heard that it is -- only more clear), the power is very conservatively rated.

My brother used to work for the hi-fi sales/repair shop where I got my amp, and they apparently tested quite a few 9500's back in their day. He said they ALWAYS produced over 100W RMS into 8 ohms (I assume that's at some midrange test frequency, like 1k), and they often cranked out around 120W!

My old electronics instructor once looked over the schematic back in the mid '80s, and was really impressed with the reserve power he thought it had to be producing: "200 watts!! Wow, 100% overhead is really unusually high for an audio amp these days!"

I can personally attest to that, since cranking the volume around 6 or higher consistantly blows the tweeter fuses on my 100W RMS rated speakers. (These are not cheap, overrated boxes, either!)

Anyhow, based on what I've read here by BeatleFred and others (Thanks, guys!), and on the Sansui.us web site, I just recently snagged a 717 on e-bay myself, but I'm still waiting for delivery. I just hope it looks as good in person as in the picture. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3014783515&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6

Supposedly, it even works, too! Imagine that!

BTW: I'm really surprised by the steady stream of 717 units being sold on that site! There's a lot of them out there.

I'm still confused by IHF. The formulas for converting peak and peak-to-peak power to RMS don't seem to quite jive here. Oh well. RMS is the standard long since adopted by the audio industry, so I guess it doesn't much matter!

Well, I'll stop rambling.

chears,
John

Re: IHF meaning

Originally posted by Toasted Almond
Institute of High Fidelity. No shit. It's a 60's thing. Like a peak power rating.

Almond, Toasted/MSgt, USAF

Yeah, and those of us old enough to remember (Woodstock, Haight & Ashbury, etc.) know what "high" actually meant in the 60's (and 70's). Sometimes it resembled peak power. ;)

Rob

Hey, congrats John !!!!! IMO it looks very nice in the flesh and even better if ya have the matching TU717 to go along with it :D A very handsome pair. I`m very happy with the sound and look forward to swapping a few different speaker combos this weekend. Compared to my big G9700 the lil` 717 holds up quite well. The 717 having a bit more "laid back" sound, while the big G is an all out gut stomper. Think I`ll keep em both :p:

John, what speakers are you planing to run with your new 717 ?? I`m curious to hear your opinion when ya get er hooked up. Keep us posted.

My tech guy, Tom, was indeed testing at 1,000Hz @ 4 ohms, hence the 250wpc. He confirms the 717`s output at 85-90 WPC into 8 ohms. mOOn, he was very impressed with how clean (inside and out) this bugger was, and so am I .

Later

John

Take two...

Oops! Fat fingers. Continuing...

I'd guess that actual RMS reading at 4 ohms should be right around the 140 to 170W range -- Which, if I remember correctly, should translate to about 200 to 240W peak. Which is what he could be using if he's just reading it off the scope.

I'm planning on using my old Phase Research Model R speakers. Not everyone's familiar with those. They're basically large bookshelf, mid-70's speakers that sound great with all kinds of music.

Here's another pair I picked up off of e-bay. (My 1st ebay purchase!) Pretty much a steal at that price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14993&item=3012493208&rd=1

I'm thinking of getting some B&W CDM-9NT's later on. Does that sound like a good match? Might be a little bright, I dunno.

- John

BTW: Probably won't get the TU717, since my bro just gave me a really nice looking vintage Marantz tuner. I don't know the model or the year off-hand. I'm not quite as particular about tuners anyhow. Though it might be nice to have a better cosmetic match. Hmmmm. Well, we'll see.javascript:smilie(':rolleyes:')
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Hey John

Not all that familiar with B&W speakers, I listened to a pair while out speaker hunting a few years back (cant remember the model #) and for the price I was not as impressed as I thought I should be (<huh?) I listened to a pair of Energys as well, which sounded strikingly simular to the B$W`s at literally a fraction of the cost. My point ? Check out Energy before spending the loot on B&W, you may be glad ya did :)

J

Back
Top Bottom