Moonshine

Satcom123

I'm sure this will bring up some memories. Once in a great while I'll come across some moonshine made by, well, moonshiners.

I got some today from a friend. He said do not drink it straight, it'll kill you. He said it was at least 200 proof.

Got home and took an eye dropper and had a taste. Smooth, then the numbness of the toung took over. Desided to cut it with coke. Much better. But now my head is numb.

I think I'll try it on my reel to reel heads for cleaning. :D

It actually cannot be 200 proof... and be potable.

However, I'm sure it's right up there! Enjoy! :drunk:

More like "it can't be 200 proof and exist without special containment equipment"... ;)

Everclear used to be around the 190-192 range, they might have cut it back as the years have gone by. That stuff is downright dangerous.

Careful. Unless you personally know the maker, I wouldn't touch the stuff (again).

In theory, it can be as safe as any legal grain alcohol made for human consumption. In practice, that's too often not the case. Even if the moonshiners aren't using methanol as a cheap profit-enhancer, and aren't using an old car radiator with lead soldering as the distiller, some of the volatile compounds that should be distilled off from natural grains often aren't in the moonshine process (time is money AND risk).

I see no reason for the stuff when a decent bottle of Bourbon is $12.00.

I have had some on occasion (popular at local weddings) that was not butt-nasty, but still see no reason for the stuff.

Ah, Everclear. Illegal in Ohio but readily available across the line in Indiana. Many a college party was jump-started with that stuff. The half-life of girls drinking that "punch" was about an hour. Not to be trifled with, for sure. In the morning, you could burn your trash with it.

The only 200+ proof booze was distilled by Nigel Tufnel. He had a special still, you see.

I made shine for several years. Started out with a Macauley pot still which is just a large stainless steel pot, a large stainless steel bowl (big enough to seal off the top of the pot). A stand made from a colander stand and a small stainless bowl to go inside to catch the juice. Put your mash or wine or whatever in the pot. Put the small bowl in the stand inside. Put the large bowl on top fill the large bowl with ice and water, set to a very low simmer and away you go. Filter your distillate though activated charcoal (from pet supply) and you have a very fine product.

Went more high tech later :yes:

There is a thing called foreshots and tails when distilling. In a distillery they put those portions to the side and add them to the next batch.

The foreshots are that portion which comes through from when you start cooking until you reach optimum temp. The tails are similar except at the end of the process. With a thermometer it is easy to follow the process once you've done it a couple times.

When distilling you also get fusel oil/alcohol. That's what gives whiskey it's bite. When aged it mellows.

I found that activated charcoal took out most of any off flavors out of my end product.

Only problem that I could see with my shine was that having product around all the time lead to consumption of that product all the time. Not necessarily a good thing. :D

I used to make some very nice liquor clones with the kits that you can buy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusel_alcohol

I found out today that it was made by an old gentlemen in the south for at least 50 years. The guy I got it off of said he gets a big jug of it each year. I was given lest than a pint. It's more of a novelty item for me though I taste it now and then.

Yes I have woken in a bathtub in the past. Stroghs beer was the culprit though. Fired brew. I think they still sell it in Cleveland.

We had an old boy who worked in the Plant who was the best shiner around. His stuff was so good, he was the one that all the local big-shots went to when some VISITING big-shot wanted to "try" some moonshine. $10 for a half-gallon, but his was as clear as water. Had sort of a "Wild" taste, was best if you put it in the freezer & let it get VERY cold. Wish ol' O.B. was still around-Some of you yahoos MIGHT have been gettin' a Box from me...We had some guys from Germany come over one time, we, of course, in the spirit of international Brotherhood & all, y'understand, proceeded to get them "Schitt-Faced" on some of O.B.'s best...One guy came up to the plant engineer & gave the engineer his address back home in Der Fodderlandt...We sent him a gallon...Sent it Fedex Hazardous Waste..Think it cost the company $200 or so, but it was worth it...Them dam Krauts LOVED that hooch...

Evan Williams black label. Very decent stuff.

Evan Williams is excellent sour mash bourbon, and, believe it or not, it's my regular brand! I always buy the larger size, so I'm not familiar with the price for the 750 ml size. I'll check tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom