Moonshine

Resurrecting a old thread here...got together with my good friend James for a couple belts & a bite. We're heading to our cars after dinner & I loaded up his ST-70 for some surgery. He reached into his trunk
& said "Got you your Christmas & birthday present combined right here" & handed me a plastic gallon jug full of a mysterious clear liquid. I took a snort right on the spot & smoke came outta my ears. Seems he has a friend who's retired with a lot of $$$ & time on his hands and always looking for new hobbies. (Example: he thought being a pilot sounded cool...so he went out & bought a Cessna 182 & THEN started flight instruction. Actually makes sense: learn to fly in the aircraft that you'll be flying all the time) Anyhoo...he decided that distilling would be an interesting endeavor, so read & read on the subject & started buying equipment.

The first few batches were best suited as parts cleaner, but his skills got better & better and his output would do a long-time Southern 'shiner proud. At home, I went old school & poured exactly one ounce over ice and added Squirt. Potent rocket fuel. All I can suggest is get more of the aldehydes out...you can feel 'em IMMEDIATELY.

I learned how to fly in a Cessna 182. Big, heavy plane, its easier to learn how to fly in one of those than a 150. My dad had half interest in it. Moonshne-EVERYBODY, I guess, who lives around here, has a few "Shine" stories. I used to carry a goodly bit w/me back to University of Richmond. There were a few guys from Connecticut who thought it was the Bee's Knees, & almost BEGGED me to bring some back every time I went home. I stopped when a couple of OTHER guys from "Up There", & who would remind you of guys in "The Sopranos", told me it would be a good idea if I didn't do that any more..

Have a bit of shine put away{grappa} but its like smokeing that hydroponic weed it knocks you out!
I'm currently racking my homemade wine from last fall.....that hi test enough for me!

hunter

I hear from the locals that you can buy locally made moonshine (legal) somewhere in Mingo County WV (where part of the Hatfield-McCoy occurred a century ago). I never touch those strong fermented delicacies. I've been told where a quart jar of it is, but I wont touch the stuff.

From page 2 of this thread...
"Also you 'shine lovers should Google Popcorn Sutton. He was a mountain man from here who made his living for years selling moonshine. Was an advisor to several historical societies here and finally was jailed by the Feds. Wound up committing suicide in his jail cell because he couldn't stand the confinement. A harmless old soul who simply made corn likker."

I saw on PBS a video of Popcorn's still construction, called "The Last One" where supposedly he called it quits and made his last still and quart for a cameraman. Must have taken several weeks and a lot of trust. Quite entertaining.

I ended up with a bottle of 'shine in a wager with a customer in Memphis. Poured some of it in some government surplus paper coffee cups I got at an auction. After a minute or two, it would melt whatever they used to seal the bottoms of the cups and start leaking.

Smooooooooooooooooooooooooth...........................not.

Kinda amazing how much corn wine I've seen made around these parts.. and boy have I had my share.. it's still alive and well here in the Appalachians.

"Also you 'shine lovers should Google Popcorn Sutton. He was a mountain man from here who made his living for years selling moonshine. Was an advisor to several historical societies here and finally was jailed by the Feds. Wound up committing suicide in his jail cell because he couldn't stand the confinement. A harmless old soul who simply made corn likker."

He never served any time for that conviction. He committed suicide before he was to report to the feds. He was arrested for having been caught with 850 gallons of shine.

Looks like someone else uses oak for aging too.. I've been providing some nicely toasted oak in exchange for a little corn wine every now and then :naughty:

I take my clothes off before I start drinking shine. I just get that outa the way. You can hurt yourself getting naked while drinking creek. I've only heard this.
o_O:rflmao:
I've never had that happen.

I like shine, unfortunately Everclear 190 is illegal in MI.
I had a friend pick me some up on his way back up from somewhere and drank the whole 5th by myself (in stages) and never had a problem. Why the government can decide I can't handle it, I'll never know.

Back even further, a different friend brought back a pint backwoods shine from KY which we all enjoyed. there was maybe an eighth of an inch left in the bottle and one drunk idiot decided to light it. Three of us saw and yelled no, but...
You should of seen that flame. The bottle was sitting on the kitchen table and there was a good fume build up in the bottle.
WOOSH!:eek2:
I'm pretty sure it hit the ceiling. Scared the crap out of lighter boy and he went over backwards.

Bacardi 151 will also do that, I think 150 or 151 is the lower proof that Everclear is sold in as well. I don't drink Everclear, but I use the 190 proof stuff to dissolve shellac flakes. Looks like booze, smells like booze - sure hope nobody takes a swig when I'm shellacin' :yikes:

:yikes: a swig is beyond me. I can manage a shot of 151, but everclear? Never again. I tried it once and that was enough. Mixed drinks only.

here in Tennessee the state got smart and decided to legalize the industry. Seems you need tohave your distillery inspected, then licensed and taxed and you too can make liquor. Right now, my local store carries two varieties in the typical Mason-looking jar for about $20; cherries soaking in the stuff is about the same price. I don't drink bourbon, but sent a bottle to a friend who said it was very tasty and smooth.

Also you 'shine lovers should Google Popcorn Sutton. He was a mountain man from here who made his living for years selling moonshine. Was an advisor to several historical societies here and finally was jailed by the Feds. WOund up committing suicide in his jail cell because he couldn't stand the confinement. A harmless old soul who simply made corn likker.

Me I like vodka or gin.

I saw on PBS a video of Popcorn's still construction, called "The Last One" where supposedly he called it quits and made his last still and quart for a cameraman. Must have taken several weeks and a lot of trust. Quite entertaining.

He never served any time for that conviction. He committed suicide before he was to report to the feds. He was arrested for having been caught with 850 gallons of shine.

My stepson-in-law got a mason jar of Popcorn Sutton's protégé's moonshine direct from Popcorn's stills and using his recipe, but with a legal tax stamp. I gotta say, it was quite smooth!DSCN0857 copy.jpg

I used to get a half gallon or so every year from some Russian friends of mine. Distilled from old homemade wine. Still have a bit of each batch in the cabinet. Yummy goodness.

Earlier posts mentioned the disintegration of cups containing 'shine. I can attest to that, since the ordinary gallon milk jug mine was in developed a leak after a month or so. Transferred the remaining contents to a 2-liter pop bottle. So far, the PET plastic is resisting the booze.

Back
Top Bottom