1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Moore lay offs & bad news at Gibson ....Is the end near?

Discussion in 'Musical Instruments' started by PureQuill, Mar 1, 2018.

1. PureQuill

PureQuill AK Member Subscriber

Please register to disable this ad.

2. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

People don't want to take the time to learn to play musical instruments any more. Too bad.

3. Yamaki

Yamaki Not For Hire Subscriber

That Really Sucks!

4. bberkom

bberkom AK Subscriber Subscriber

They’ve never been known to be the best run company in Nashville. I’ve had a few acquaintances and friends work for them and did business with Gibson at one of my jobs, and no one had great experiences.

KentTeffeteller and PureQuill like this.
  5. valvenator

valvenator curious bystander, serious procrastinator Subscriber

I have very mixed feelings about Gibson. They've been screwed but they've screwed other people too.
    This little blurb from one of the articles:
    Gibson began making guitars in 1894. Its popular Les Paul electric, which debuted in 1952, is one of the bestselling guitars of all time and has been used by legendary musicians like Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, and Pete Townshend.
    True, but a lot of those musicians moved on to other guitars.
    They forgot Jeff Beck and Slash BTW, :eek:........................................... and Buckethead?!!! :wtf:

PureQuill likes this.
  6. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

The owner Henry Juszkiewicz was / is known to be a bit of an ass and had visions of grandeur thinking that he could take on and beat out Yamaha to become the biggest music company in the world. Which led to over extending themselves by buying several brands that probably would have never panned out. Even with the best management. The guitar has become the greatest musical instrument success in history but times and tastes change, you can get an excellent playing and sounding instrument for much less than Gibson is selling for new and the used market takes a good chunk of new sales as well. Plus Gibson's quality control, or lack of is legendary among other missteps. And that's only part of the problem.

Bill Ferris and PureQuill like this.

7. PureQuill

Onkyo, Stanton,Cakewalk,Neat, KRK? What do these companies have to do with building great guitars? .....NOTHING! That is why Gibson is hemorrhaging debt along with making over priced guitars of questionable quality control that feature robotic tuners and PCB boards.
    Gibson is a company that has forgotten what made them iconic.

PQ

8. mhedges

mhedges Super Member

Yeah I read an article recently that went over the terrible management decisions Gibson made. Some of them were unbelievably stupid.

There is some of this, but there are still a lot of people learning instruments. To me it is more the same thing you see with a lot of other hobby products that exploded with the baby boomer generation - that generation has stopped buying things at the same rate, and younger generations have different tastes. They don't want their fathers guitar.

nedseg and PureQuill like this.
  9. hjames

hjames dancing madly backwards ... Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

Who is "Moore" ?

nedseg, Mystic and turnitdown like this.
  10. Beatnik

Beatnik What's this ?

Gibson has Slingerland and never did much with it, too bad.

Speaking of Les Paul and Slingerland.

PureQuill likes this.
  11. winters860

winters860 AK Subscriber Subscriber

They've been burning through capital on a tremendous acquisition spree, to the detriment of the brands they're buying, many of which are intimately familiar to AKers.

So screw Gibson, ya know?

PureQuill and KentTeffeteller like this.

12. Celt

Celt Peanut Head Staff Member Super Mod

Gibson quit being "Gibson" once they left Kalamazoo, Michigan in '74. Just sayin'....

Wildcat, Mystic, Tom Brennan and 2 others like this.
  13. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

Less's partner.

14. dr*audio

dr*audio Fish fingers and custard! Subscriber

They need to divest themselves of all non - guitar related businesses, not their experienced employees. They have recently come out with a couple of great pre-war model acoustic guitars. They could compete with Martin if they pursued this. Just another example of Evil Management.

Ross6860, Wildcat and PureQuill like this.
  15. marqueemoon

marqueemoon Gimme indie rock!

They've been shooting themselves in the foot for decades.

PureQuill likes this.
  16. PureQuill

Amen!
    PQ

17. PureQuill

I agree totally!
    Gibson like Martin strengths are in tradition and history.
    Martin gets it,,,Gibson does not.
    One look at how successful the Martin CEO 7 has been, shows they are most successful when innovating with one eye on history.
    As one reviewer said the CEO 7 is the guitar Martin never built in the 1930's but should have!

PQ

louisjames likes this.
  18. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

Part of this is mindset, part understanding the market and where ones strengths are and having leadership that both honors the past and find ways to thrive in the present and the future. Something which Martin has done very well over the years and is embodied by their CEO Christian Frederick Martin IV. Unlike Gibson who as mentioned is trying to be a "music powerhouse" instead of focusing on what they "should" do best.

19. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

I worked there in early 1998. Needless to say, I have stories to tell.

As for guitars, people are certainly learning the instrument, but as others have opined, there are literally dozens of great options under 700 or so bucks.

Not everyone needs a $4000 tiger striped Les Paul (except me and Ron, aka Northwinds, lol)

20. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

Gibson makes some great acoustic guitars as well, but to get one that equals my Martin is easily 50-100% more money. It just doesn't make sense as a guitarist if you're on any kind of budget.

Taylor and Martin have been getting the guitar thing right for a while now. Keep the super high end, but make $700-2000 guitars that play and sound great.

I'm curious if Larivee and Breedlove are going to last.

Cheers
    Nathan