More bad packing

andy

I found out you can't ship a 120 lb plasma TV in a cardboard box. There's no surprise there, but the ebay seller seemed to think it was packed well. It would have been fine on a pallet in a truck, but not going through UPS sorting centers. UPS just pikced it up for inspection. Fortunately, I paid with a CC through paypal, so I'll still get my money back no matter what happens with UPS and the seller.

bobgary said:
UPS will argue that the TV was packed inadequately and they take no responsibility for damage. What's really bogus is when UPS sells insurance for a package, and then rejects a damage claim because they claim the thing wasn't packed right. If the item isn't packed correctly, they shouldn't be taking in money to insure an item. It's a racket. Hopefully the person you purchased from will debit back your money, as that will be the easiest and quickest way to resolve the issue.
1) I bought an ancient Garrard turntable and the shiper basically put it in a box without any padding. Needless to say it arrived destroyed but the cartdridge and stylus were OK. I told her that it was basically her fault for doing such a lame job packing. She says no problem, UPS insured it and sure enough, UPS picked up the pieces, I kept the cartridge though. Two weeks later a check came to cover the whole thing.
2) Is that your cat? I have one that looks exactly like it. Too funny.

Just not Ebayers packing right

Went to pickup my Pioneer Elite AVR from Ultimate. Bought this in 1999 for $1400 dollars and every year, like clockwork, the DSP board fails. For people who don't know, Ultimate ships all merchandise to CO for repairs, no local repair anymore. Somewhere between me dropping it off and 3 months later picking it up, the face and case are smashed. They placed it in a box with cardboard inserts with a memo stating its packed this way to prevent damage. Hopefully Ultimate comes through and fixes or replaces it.

BTW, they damaged a Denon AVR and promptly took responsibility for it. Fixed everything in a timely manner.

g

In my experience, UPS and Fedex care more about whether or not you follow their procedures than how the item was packed.

As a seller, I've only had two claimed rejected (both items were very well packed).

One was when they buyer had the item repaired and sent me a copy of the invoice to prove how much the damage cost. I foolishly used this to justify the claim amount (which was half the insured value). UPS rejected it because this meant they could no longer inspect the damage. The buyer then threatened to sue UPS and they promptly paid. Ironically, I'm about 99% sure it was a false claim. The repair invoice looked fake (no phone number, or description of the work done) and his story about what was wrong with it changed every time I talked to him.

The really funny thing was that while all this was going on, UPS shipped the empty box back to me with no explanation. Then UPS called me wondering where the box was (I played dumb).

The other time was with Fedex ground for a VCR I sold on ebay. It was denied because I didn't make the claim within 15 days. Well, I didn't know it was shipping damage until the item had been returned to me and I could figure out what was wrong with it (there was no visible damage). Next time I'll just have to assume it's shipping damage even before I see it.

what do you think about this:

Hi

the pieces of newspaper were inside the box....

isn't this rediculous? :banana:

if the seller wouldn't live in denmark, i would have visited him...
he didn't even pull the Tubes, neither fixed the screws...

in a way i was lucky, it survived and i found that it was one of the best st-70 i saw and except of some scratches it really is now:

Helge

Last edited:
greetings from Denmark

Dear dynacophil,

Used newspaper pages are not that expensive here in Denmark,thougth, as other kind of package filling. Glad the item you have bought didn't got destroyed!

By the way: just realized that many of the Scandyna speakers that you'll find real cheap here in Denmark are Dynaco's. Thus I've recently found a nice pair of Scandyna A-10 that sound really good with my little Braun csv-14 tube amp.

Peter, Denmark

Hi pqrannes

yeah, after all ive been lucky :)

I have had my first Dynaco contact in Denmark, and finally got my first Dynaco gear (PAS 3x and ST120) from a danish coworker (came from Kopenhavn) who went back to denmark (Esbjerg) few years ago.

The A10 i ve been looking for along time. I wanted them as Rears to my SEAS A25x. Now i got ScanDyna a45x as fronts :) mighty,

and the A25x got the rears.

i am looking for some information, a kind of timetable of the connections Dynaco to SEAS/Scanspeak/B&O.... turntables were sold as ScanDyna in usa, SEAS Speakers, later Scandyna (Scanspeak) in well quality, BUT i also happened to see real cheap built stuff Branded ScanDyna.... do you know more?
even the A10 i seen in really cheap looking versions... but also in very decent built versions with SEAS Speakers.

regards
Helge

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom