More Craptastic "Popular" songs

I think most some missed that Sandy is referring to *current* songs that will be overplayed over the course of the next 30 years.

The answer is: that's really hard to say. Stuff endures for a lot of different reasons, and most of them defy predictions.

Remember: Stairway to Heaven never even made the Billboard Top Ten list and wasn't all that popular when it first came out.

I noticed that, too. But threads sometimes take their own direction.

I wouldn't know what songs might be annoying to younger folks thirty years on, and don't expect to be around to find out. However, the world has changed so much since many of us grew up. FM radio was once a primary source for us, with hits driving the record industry. And we bought and listened to albums. Now, people listen to songs they like online, when not watching cat videos, and while there are still songs everybody knows, they mostly choose when and if to listen. Perhaps that "choice factor" will result in less of the "overplayed syndrome." Perhaps not; I really don't know.

Most of these were pretty decent songs when they came out, but after the 1st 350 gazillion times you heard 'em, they kinda wore out their welcome.
There's the fly in the ointment, Sandy -- you're assuming there are some decent songs in the current pop crop -- there aren't. Just a bunch of two-chord vamps or at best, three- chord progressions repeated ad nauseum superimposed on a maddening boom-ksshh, boom-ksshh rhythm track. If any of this crap is floating around in my head twenty years from now, I'll just go ahead and slash off. I'll be pretty old by then anyway.

Hmmm, I guess Eagles songs were never truly good then. Much of their hits catalog has been ruined from play after play. YMMV.
If one really dug The Eagles(or any other band) and wanted to preserve that feeling, changing channels or listening avoidance would stave off any form of ruination.
As far as The Eagles go I was never so inclined to care.
Just change the station and listen to something else when somethings overplayed:whip:(discipline:))

Classic Rock get's played over and over ad infinitum, in the same way as Classical music.
Stuff now isn't particularily classic so far and is just "dust in the wind", so to speak.
I'd say someone might be more likely subjected to More Than A Feeling(or even Frank Sinatra) in 2057 than anything contemporary today:dunno:

There is current music??? ;)

I find myself facing the same dilemma: I don't know no current music, not unless concerts recorded in 2016-2017 by such bands as Sabbath, AC/DC, Metallica, and some others count, heh heh.

I just looked at Billboards top radio songs for the last couple of years and I recognize some of the artists but none of the tunes.

http://www.billboard.com/charts/radio-songs

We were sitting around a fire one evening listening to some tunes with my buddies 18-year-old son and he mentioned how lucky our generation was, in that we were still listening to good music that we probably listened to in high school. He said he could not imagine sitting around a fire in 30 years and listening to music that was popular when he was in high school.

I just spent $430 on tickets for The Weeknd for my daughter and three of her friends. As part of that package, I get 4 of his CDs in the mail. Oh boy. I chose the "explicit" version. And I'll gladly drive them to the concert. It's her music and I'm fine with that. She patiently listened to 5/8/77 Grateful Dead all weekend long.

Almost any Michael Jackson or Madonna song that had made the top 10.

American Pie by Don McLean had been played into the ground for decades. Pink Houses by John Mellencamp gets aired quite a bit around these parts for some reason. Can't speak for other radio markets...

I just spent $430 on tickets for The Weeknd for my daughter and three of her friends. As part of that package, I get 4 of his CDs in the mail. Oh boy. I chose the "explicit" version. And I'll gladly drive them to the concert. It's her music and I'm fine with that. She patiently listened to 5/8/77 Grateful Dead all weekend long.
Sounds like a fair trade to me.
No way would my dad have bought 4 tickets to NWA for me back in the day in trade for me listening to his music all weekend.

Disclaimer:
I have no idea what the Weeknd is about beyond their spelling issues. If I have offended their or NWA's fans, I apologize.

I have no idea what the Weeknd is about beyond their spelling issues.

He's a hip hop artist. His music is a bit lightweight if you ask me. I like my rap/hip hop to hit a bit harder, like, say, Erik B. and Rakim. Nice beats and James Brown samples:

In this day and age with all the options there really isn't the opportunity to get sick of songs like there was in the past. If you're listening to something ad nauseum that's your fault. In the past if I wanted to hear something cool by U2 I'd have to sit through 10 rotations of "In The Name Of Love".

He's a hip hop artist. His music is a bit lightweight if you ask me. I like my rap/hip hop to hit a bit harder, like, say, Erik B. and Rakim. Nice beats and James Brown samples:

My last room mate, back in 2001-ish was a huge Eric B fan. I leaned towards De La Soul and A Tribe Called Quest, we met in the middle with PE and NWA. Lots of great hip hop nights in that joint.
He lost me when Slim Shady became a thing.
He also still gives me the gears about how I was the one who actually dropped the $ on that Brown boxset, and he just copied it.

Remember: Stairway to Heaven never even made the Billboard Top Ten list and wasn't all that popular when it first came out.

Billboard schmillboard, Stairway.. was ardently embraced, almost immediately in fact, by the contemporary rock cognoscenti and especially folks who'd admired the progression of the '60s British Blues movement, Pagey's role and development re: the movement, and so much more. We were not taken by surprise, folks, by IV. We expected that ****er. We assumed that ****er.

Back
Top Bottom