More eBay bidding lunacy

AlphaLimaXray

Digital-to-Analog Convert
I was casually ambling through eBoy, on the lookout for a decent little tuner for my PC setup, when this auction made me do a double-take. FMtunerinfo (look near bottom of page) lists the Yammie T-1000 at about 40 to 80 bucks. As of this post- with two and a half days to go- the 18 bids have taken this albeit minty unit but unexceptional tuner north of $160!
:wtf:
I have a feeling the seller is about to enjoy an unexpected but welcome windfall. Ignorance may be at play here, since the high bidder is a newb, but still...wuddah yutz! :screwy:

BTW, FMtunerinfo (the Tuner Information Center) loves to hear about exceptional tuner auctions like this, so if someone here is a member of their Yahoo group, please notify them. They say that a T-1000 sold for only $10 as recently as May. Quite a fluctuation, ain't it? :scratch2:

Cheers.
:beerchug:
-AlphaLima

Damn! someone paid only 14 dollars?

I'm the 24 dollar winner. hehe

It cleaned up nice and is hooked up to my DSP-A1 Intergrated.

I'm thinking maybe they thought it is a TX-1000. :dunno:

Tuner Info Center

I never buy a Tuner untill I check it out at the Tuner Info center if it is an unknown tuner. Saying that this Yamaha tuner that sold for 162.50 is not that bad, I would pay the same for a perfect one even though TIC says NO, NO. . .

I would not pay 810 bucks for a Onkyo T-9090II like this idiot did but not because TIC says not to. They are a great information source but sometimes it concerns me when they try to control prices. . . I dont particularly care for their remark after the 810 dollar fiasco where they write in bold letters "Never pay over 450 for a T-9090II In my mind it is not their call what someone pays for a tuner period. I do apreciate the way they list the average selling price from ebay records but to tell you not to pay such and such is not up to them to make the call. Reporting past sales is one thing but telling you what to pay or not pay is another thing.

Again I think they are the greatest resource available for tuners and I always listen and trust their reviews. Just dont tell me not to pay what for anything as if I want it I will set my own limits sometimes much higher sometimes much lower. . . .

Originally posted by Fuzzy Lumpkins
Damn! someone paid only 14 dollars?

I'm the 24 dollar winner. hehe

It cleaned up nice and is hooked up to my DSP-A1 Intergrated.

I'm thinking maybe they thought it is a TX-1000. :dunno:
I suspect the same thing. If so, that single letter is really gonna cost one of them. :eek:
BTW, FL, how do you rate the T-1000(selectiivity, sensitivity, sound, etc.)?

Gyusher, while I wholeheartedly agree that Tuner Info is an invaluable resource, I don't think their price recommendations amount to price-fixing. They are general appraisals- from experts whose collective knowledge is practically authoritative- based on each model's general market performance, technical sophistication, and how good it is compared to the competition, both contemporaneously and absolutely(i.e. in the Shootouts, etc.).
Do they have some influence? Certainly, amongst the knowledgible, just like folks like you do with folks like me.;) However, as the auction in question makes rather apparant, not everyone listens to the experts. I figure those who have the greatest dislike of Tuner Info are the less-than-scrupulous sellers, who are always looking to put one over on hapless customers. Knowledge is power, after all, and a lot of sellers hate it when bidders and buyers have any, unfortunately.:(

BTW, this auction has more than a day to go; who knows how high it'll go? Since it may be a truly mint unit, complete with everything, a 25% premium over the average high price for this model might not be exorbitant. However, when a run-of-the-mill tuner like this goes for at least over twice the suggested high price*- well in the price range of superior and reasonably available models- one has to question the wisdom of the bidder(s).:screwy:

*(not counting shipping costs, of course)

Cheers.
-AlphaLima

we agree

However, when a run-of-the-mill tuner like this goes for at least over twice the suggested high price*- well in the price range of superior and reasonably available models- one has to question the wisdom of the bidder(s).

I couldnt agree more my only point is that TIC does a wonderful job of informing people of what the going rates are for the tuners they are aware of, also I fully support their "Rouages Gallery" also a valuable resource. My only concern is when they flat out tell you what to pay. . . It is one thing to be armed with good information then it is up to the buyer to make the decision as to pay the asking price.

I am not concerned about a 20 dollar tuner selling for a hundred as long as the price was driven up by spirited bidding not from some conn artist trying to make you think that 20 dollar tuner is a 100 dollar tuner, big difference in my mind.

I am also not too concerned about that T-9090II going for 810.00 as thats one in a million not the seller's fault as he just placed it on auction with no reserve and the gods shined on him and he knows it. His email to me was that he was litteraly blown away. . .

I might tell you what I know or think about something but I will never tell you how much to actually pay. . . Thats a personal decision that when and if it backfires you wont be blaming me for telling you what to pay.

This is really a very small step up from a non-issue it just gripes me any time tells me what to pay, tell me what others have paid and leave it at that.

I feel a little peculiar even bringing it up as TIC is one of my favorites, a great site that I check before buying any tuner. . . I agree with most of their assesments of the tuners they check out and I am thankful they are there.

Now that Yahoo tuner thing bugs me. . . . I became a member to get more in depth info on some tuner but I always get messed up every time I go there, I like this format at AK and I like the TIC's format much better than Yahoo's discussion groups. . .

Re: we agree

Originally posted by gyusher
I might tell you what I know or think about something but I will never tell you how much to actually pay. . . Thats a personal decision that when and if it backfires you wont be blaming me for telling you what to pay.

This is really a very small step up from a non-issue it just gripes me any time tells me what to pay, tell me what others have paid and leave it at that.

Now that Yahoo tuner thing bugs me. . . . I became a member to get more in depth info on some tuner but I always get messed up every time I go there, I like this format at AK and I like the TIC's format much better than Yahoo's discussion groups. . .
I see your point about how TIC can come off as downright instructional(almost commanding), rather than merely advisory, in its buying/pricing recommendations. I'm sure their intentions are firmly oriented towards the latter, in their efforts to educate the public. A simple rephrasing of their advice, such as "I/we wouldn't pay more than $[such-and-such] for this," and so forth, could significantly change the message's tone without altering the crucial information. It may be mere schematics, but absent the tone and inflection used to enhance or interpret the spoken word, it becomes all the more important. :blah:

Still, it's a relatively small error on TIC's part, and their extensive and objective advice more than make up for such shortcomings. We here know that, possibly aside from a slight bit of inevitable ego that comes from being the tantamount 'last word' on the subject, TIC intentions are quite altruistic and their judgment is informed and sound. :angel:

I also quite concur with your opinion of Yahoo's discussion groups. Their format is archaic and the controls are maddingly basic and rather counterintuitive. I've seen some 15-year-old DOS programs more refined!:eek: The BBS used by AK is far and away superior(to state the patently obvious). ;)

Cheers.
-AlphaLima

Never underestimate the power of EC w/ original packaging/lit, & excellent feedback.

The bidder obviously must have it or die, with money to burn.

He probably should be a member here!

The power of "&".

:)

Pete

PS Why can't MY auctions go way over estimates?? :(

Okay, the auction has ended...with the winning bid at only $100!
:confused: :confused: :confused:
On top of that, the bids of at least two members have up and disappeared(remember the guy with "loans" in his mane?)- no retraction/cancellation information given.
:wtf:

Could someone please tell me how all of this can happen? I'm baffled, frankly. :headscrat :dunno:

Cheers.
-AlphaLima

I think that what happened on this auction was that the buyer mistook the Yamaha T-1000 for a Yamaha TX-1000. Yamaha TX-1000s sell for $300+ everytime they come up for bid on eBay. The TX-1000 is in another league.

Rule #1 - Be familiar with the item you are bidding on.

Rule #2 - Know what the item you are bidding on is worth.

my $0.02 worth. :p:

Back
Top Bottom