1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

More Sad News

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by LBPete, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Kevin D

Kevin D AK Subscriber Subscriber

Such sad news RIP.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Hipocrates

Hipocrates Anti-Muppet Subscriber

This us sad, he help me a couple years ago with some hard to find parts.
    AK finest.
    RIP Jim.

3. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

Looks like there will be a service for Jim this Wednesday, October 10th at 3:00PM. I don't have the location information but it's supposed to be posted on Jim's facebook page soon. I will definitely be there and it would be nice if we had a good AK turnout.

I'd also like to thank AK member Trucker1964. He has been the conduit for this information.

- Pete

4. tarior

tarior Dirty pool, old man? Subscriber

5. JOMARK911

JOMARK911 Super Member

Oh not another death.. Pity . And I had just send him my AU X1 SM
    R.I.P. Jim.

6. Trucker1964

Trucker1964 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I saw your X1 boxed in the garage. As I’m sure you know, his son who is a great guy, plans to ship it for you.

I must say that when I saw the box I thought “I sure would like to have an X1 restored by Jim”. I’m sure you’ll find a great tech to restore what is a very special piece. :D

7. LBPete

Here's the details on his memorial service:

Wednesday October 10, 2018
    3:00 PM to 4:00 PM
    Heritage-Dilday Memorial Services
    17911 Beach Blvd
    Huntington Beach, CA 92647

Here's a link to his page set up by the funeral home. It has a "Tribute Wall" where you can post comments. It would be nice to show the international reach of his friends.

https://www.heritagememorialservices.com/tributes/James-Masingill

- Pete

8. LBPete

Jim's service yesterday was heartfelt and even inspiring. The chapel was packed, standing room only, filled with family, his children, grand children and great grand children. It began with an Air Force Honor Guard to commemorate his 20+ years in the Air Force. The reverend said some kind words and then there was a long parade of family and in some cases, kin of family members standing up to tell stories. It was clear from the beginning how much Jim meant to his family. The common theme was how freely he went out of his way to help them and others.

His sister couldn't attend and sent a video where among her kind words she read the following Hunter Thomson quote: “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

We knew him as an extremely knowledgeable, helpful and friendly guy. His family saw him that way a thousand times over. He touched all of them again and again with generosity and kindness in a way that most of us haven't come close to matching. We lost a truly great guy.

- Pete

9. tnsilver

tnsilver AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks Pete for letting us know. It's very moving. This week I managed to fix my old Technics CDP based on one of Jim's posts that I made notes of. It's been on my todo list for pretty long but my sense of accomplishment was somewhat bitter. I wish I could thank Jim for that post earlier, when it could still matter. He will be missed dearly by many of us strangers, so it's only obvious how deep is the family's loss.

Hyperion likes this.
  10. bluesky

bluesky Addicted Member

11. ManyMoonsAudio

ManyMoonsAudio AKA paul79 Sponsor Subscriber

Very sad... One of the OG Sansui Guys to be sure.

12. johnny_fever

johnny_fever Walk tall & carry a big G Subscriber

Thanks Pete. This news still pains me. Jim and I had some fun (lengthy) phone conversations. I remember being new here and was in disaster mode because my 9090db went into protection. Jim was eager to help get my machine working again. Back in those days when you had a sick Sansui you were in good hands if Jim (CDFixer) offered to help troubleshoot. Again. Thanks Pete.

13. LBPete

Jim was the expert on the 9090/8080/9090DB/8080DB and was the first to post fixes for many of the common issues with this series. Here are some examples: He was the first to refer to this series as the X0X0 models. He coined that term in this thread, back in 2004. In one of his first posts he identified the two fusible resistors on the F-2624 driver board that put the unit in protection in this thread. He didn't post all that often but what he did post helped all of us.

- Pete

Hyperion and tnsilver like this.