More Surveillance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't these new formats of "smart televisions" do the same thing?
My friend bought a newfangled TV, with very little hyper-velocity resolution out there to support it. It has some form of camera that watches you watching it; and I'm assuming, some form of internal microphone as well? That creeped me out. But to him, he just shrugged it off.
At minimum, I've got that thing wrapped in 10 layers of black Gorilla Duct Tape, after filling its eye, and the microphone port, with JB-Weld.

I saw this writing on the wall the very first day I saw one of those devices advertised. I have no intention of using an internet connected device to listen to me all the time. I knew good and well they would be used for data collection. I'm not uber paranoid or anything, I have a smart phone and all, but I try to be somewhat prudent about my privacy. The Millennials don't even understand the concept of privacy protection. They will post personally identifiable information on their Facebook page with not privacy settings turned on or anything. The amount of information I've been able to glean about someone (regular people, not public personalities) just from some internet sleuthing then the need arises is amazing.

So Big Brother is watching watching now.. Not a surprise for most anyone who read the book..

Not doubt. Don't even get me started on controlling the media and making "the truth" a vague concept.

My last three vehicles have GPS trackers. One a 2012 Jeep, a 2012 Ram 1500 and a 2014 Charger. Chrysler admits it. All to better the product. They know where you've driven and in some cases know the health of the car through the OBC. How fast tou drive, how hard you brake, ect. Some car manufaturers even have RF tags put into the factory tires. At leased I can be fairly anonymous when tramping through the woods in my 2002 wrangler. :D

The Millennials don't even understand the concept of privacy protection. They will post personally identifiable information on their Facebook page with not privacy settings turned on or anything.
Sure, and why not?

Millennials realise that no one in the "big data" business cares about individuals. Individual preferences, yes -- that's what allows advertising to be targeted rather than scattered -- but individuals, no. An individual is nothing but a tiny grain of data among billions of other grains of data on a vast, sandy beach of information, and no individual stands out more than any other.

It's mainly grumpy, flaccid, underachieving middle-aged men (like me, dammit, like me) who are so blindly self-absorbed as to think someone cares about their personal data, and are so naively arrogant as to think it matters. In reality, nobody and nothing gives a ****. All that matters is that "you" share certain data characteristics with the millions of others who are marginally more likely to buy some product than not, which makes your data -- along with the data of millions of other irrelevant motes -- slightly more valuable than nothing at all.

I'm going to try a test by talking about some product I never buy and never talk about, with my phone turned off, and see if I start getting ads. That's just creepy. Not the first time I've heard about it though.

Sure, and why not?

Millennials realise that no one in the "big data" business cares about individuals. Individual preferences, yes -- that's what allows advertising to be targeted rather than scattered -- but individuals, no. An individual is nothing but a tiny grain of data among billions of other grains of data on a vast, sandy beach of information, and no individual stands out more than any other.

It's mainly grumpy, flaccid, underachieving middle-aged men (like me, dammit, like me) who are so blindly self-absorbed as to think someone cares about their personal data, and are so naively arrogant as to think it matters. In reality, nobody and nothing gives a ****. All that matters is that "you" share certain data characteristics with the millions of others who are marginally more likely to buy some product than not, which makes your data -- along with the data of millions of other irrelevant motes -- slightly more valuable than nothing at all.

I just wish they really would pay attention to me, as an individual. I like the idea of someone keeping an eye on me 24/7. And a little mind control would be welcome, too.

Here's my big idea, which I might try to develop and sell to DirectTV or Dish, or someone; how about if you could add to your subscription the ability to access all other subscribers? I'd pay out the bunghole to be able to see and hear exactly what's going on at your house tonight. I'll bet it's awesome. I know it is at my house, at least until I doze off around 8:45.

I'm going to try a test by talking about some product I never buy and never talk about, with my phone turned off, and see if I start getting ads. That's just creepy. Not the first time I've heard about it though.

Just don't forget to consider all possibilities. Correlation isn't inherently causation.

Sure, and why not?

Yes, when business collects data it is all about money, but maybe not when it is a government agency and you are of potential interest. Of course no one knows precisely who or what that interest may be. Difficult to know just how free we really are until we find ourselves over some invisible or seemingly arbitrary line.

Digital IS NOT your friend.

Never even owned a cel phone, ever. Used a borrowed cell phone twice in my life. Used a borrowed smart phone once. I really watch that 'giving up your freedom' stuff.

Analog with AlNiCo(s)!!

Seriously, you gotta be nuts to have any devices - that spy on you. Your giving up your privacy. Want a whole lot of problems... go on Facebook. Get 'connected'. Wackos.

I prefer 'disconnected', as much as possible. And I don't need no satellite navigator. I know where I'm going. And that TV watching you as your watching it... that freaks me out. Should freak everyone out.

This system is not designed for you.

Last edited:

I've been trying that, got nohing so far. Feel like an idiot though.

Yes, when business collects data it is all about money, but maybe not when it is a government agency and you are of potential interest. Of course no one knows precisely who or what that interest may be. Difficult to know just how free we really are until we find ourselves over some invisible or seemingly arbitrary line.

No, not precisely, but I think most have a pretty good idea who (generally speaking) might be on the shit list and who isn't of any interest.

Sorta like the people I knew back in the day that were always bitching about the Police dogging them. Well, yeah, when you invite that sort of attention you'll probably get it.

It warms my heart that others also value their privacy.

Tho it may be pissing in the wind, I will always fight against the Truman Show excesses of modern living.

Some pretty scary stuff out there, as I recently heard about a couple who had no pets, but for 3 days, with their phones OFF, talked about getting a cat, we need cat food, blah blah blah, as some type of test.

The phones were within earshot.

In 3 days, they received Facebook ads for.....wait for it........cat food.

Now, I don't know if this is true or not, but if it COULD be done, then what would stop those who would?

I mean, have we really reached a point where dialing a phone (by pushing a button using a single finger, mind you), changing a TV channel using a remote by using a single finger, etc., etc., is so annoying and unbearably inconvenient that we have to automate the process so that voice control can take care of it? Why not just go the whole way and get ****ing brain implants so that whenever you even think you might want something, radio signals immediately go out, and robot drones arrive at your door moments later with different options for you to fuss over and send back after finding them all unsatisfactory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom