More Surveillance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, have we really reached a point where dialing a phone (by pushing a button using a single finger, mind you), changing a TV channel using a remote by using a single finger, etc., etc., is so annoying and unbearably inconvenient that we have to automate the process so that voice control can take care of it?

I believe we have. Take texting for example when it became popular it supplanted making an actual phone call were one would have to speak to another. It was convenient and supposedly less time consuming. Now there is "voice text" because I guess typing has become such a nuisance.

No, not precisely, but I think most have a pretty good idea who (generally speaking) might be on the shit list and who isn't of any interest.

Sorta like the people I knew back in the day that were always bitching about the Police dogging them. Well, yeah, when you invite that sort of attention you'll probably get it.
Without getting into politics, this is very country specific. And since this forum is open to everyone on the planet, that should be taken into account for the purpose of my previous post.

I'm sure police do dog citizens differently in other countries. China, NK, Russia. It is all a matter of degree...

Without getting into politics, this is very country specific. And since this forum is open to everyone on the planet, that should be taken into account for the purpose of my previous post.

I'm sure police do dog citizens differently in other countries. China, NK, Russia. It is all a matter of degree...

Yeah, I believe what I said was fairly universal. It's all relative. I've been to China and other places, although not North Korea. The citizens there know, generally, what flies and what doesn't; what draws unnecessary attention, and what doesn't. Just as we know, generally, here.

Yeah, I believe what I said was fairly universal. It's all relative. I've been to China and other places, although not North Korea. The citizens there know, generally, what flies and what doesn't; what draws unnecessary attention, and what doesn't. Just as we know, generally, here.
Yes and as I said, simply keep well clear of that invisible ambiguous line. Hope they didn't screw up your identity with a known undesirable, hope any relative or close friend does the same, and you will be just fine..

Regardless that the cat is out of the bag and the horse has already left the barn, the whole assault of data gathering and is a bit distasteful;)

Whatever you write, will be somewhere buried on the internet, forever.
"wayback machine"states: "explore more than 308 billion web pages saved over time"
If AK would stop at the end of the day, you still will be able to find the text of this topic, as long as the internet exists.

Opps, I quoted the wrong post, then decided to remove quote entirely, I don't want to single out any one of you curmudgeons.

I know this isn't exactly what you're talking about, but some of these technologies have been a boon for my disabled mother. I won't go into detail, it's not needed. But her quality of life has improved, from being able to control the lights to the TV and, of course, the internet.
My point is you are generalizing, which is fine - but certainly not applicable to everyone.

LOL, that being said, I also have tape over my laptop\ipad cameras.

Data collection bothers me a little but the biggest concern to me about all the internet connected stuff is hackers.

With a fully connected house a hacker could control all of it from your fridge to your computer. Heard stories of people sitting at their tv's with cameras and the watchers image pops up on the tv.

How about hackers taking control of you car. It was proven it could happen and probably has. The last story of the lady who was going down the interstate. Her car sped up to 90 and wouldn't stop. After many miles the car finally just stopped. Never heard what the cause was but could have been a hacker.

All of our financial info online (well we know what happens here).

As far a data collection to show proper ads to me, I don't pay attention to ads ever so that doesn't matter to me at all. Would rather they didn't collect data tied to my ip address.

Yes and as I said, simply keep well clear of that invisible ambiguous line. Hope they didn't screw up your identity with a known undesirable, hope any relative or close friend does the same, and you will be just fine..

Well, you know, one can never say never. But, I have learned over the years that worrying about the improbable is not the way I choose to spend my remaining time.

Data collection bothers me a little but the biggest concern to me about all the internet connected stuff is hackers.

With a fully connected house a hacker could control all of it from your fridge to your computer. Heard stories of people sitting at their tv's with cameras and the watchers image pops up on the tv.

How about hackers taking control of you car. It was proven it could happen and probably has. The last story of the lady who was going down the interstate. Her car sped up to 90 and wouldn't stop. After many miles the car finally just stopped. Never heard what the cause was but could have been a hacker.
It could have been a hacker, but it's vanishingly unlikely. There are numerous reasonable explanations that are more likely.

Concern about hacking is real and certainly need to be taken seriously, and almost everyone needs to be more security-aware and vigilant, but technologists and computer scientists are steadily improving the security of digital systems to reduce the possibility of hacking. The result is that actual incidences of hacking are minuscule compared to the number of un-compromised users of online banking, other Internet-based services, and "smart" devices.

There is arguably no corresponding improvement even possible to significantly improve the physical security of our homes, businesses, and ourselves. At least computer systems can be steadily improved, but until humans in general decide not to prey on each other, there's a steady and greater risk of physical theft and harm up close and in person -- via crowbars, knives, guns, lockpicks, pickpocketing, vandalism, etc. -- than there is online.

In short, on average it's safer to keep money in an online bank account and access it via a debit card than it is to carry cash in your pocket.

All of our financial info online (well we know what happens here).

As far a data collection to show proper ads to me, I don't pay attention to ads ever so that doesn't matter to me at all. Would rather they didn't collect data tied to my ip address.

I agree, it's the hackers to worry about, IMO.
A lot of those hacker stories, such as the car hacking - are essentially click bait. In order to "prove" that car hack, they had to have physical access to the car first, then there were some other details that I thought were far fetched. Could it happen, sure - but incredibly impractical. But times are a-changing, you never know.
If you're interested, this is another one that's ridiculous - read the actual details of what it takes to accomplish this.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...ms-to-control-malware-on-air-gapped-networks/

Last edited:
Whatever you write, will be somewhere buried on the internet, forever.
"wayback machine"states: "explore more than 308 billion web pages saved over time"
If AK would stop at the end of the day, you still will be able to find the text of this topic, as long as the internet exists.

Just not by using the Audiokarma internal search feature.

C'mon, it's a joke . . . ;)

15 years ago I wouldn't even use a Kroger Card. I didn't want them knowing my whereabouts and grocery habits. I used to joke that if you bought too much tabouli, you'd end up on the watch list. Today I've pretty much thrown in the towel regarding privacy. Smart phone, Facebook, Google searches, you name it.

I even currently have a Google Home Mini in my kitchen, just kind of experimenting with it and trying to figure out it's potential for helping my elderly nearly blind mother.

I try to be smart about it but there no hiding anymore...

I remember when any sale at Radio Shack wasn't complete until the clerk asked for your address. My standard response to that was "It's none of your business".
Yeah, and your phone number - even on a cash sale.
That's when RS and me parted ways.

15 years ago I wouldn't even use a Kroger Card. I didn't want them knowing my whereabouts and grocery habits. I used to joke that if you bought too much tabouli, you'd end up on the watch list. Today I've pretty much thrown in the towel regarding privacy. Smart phone, Facebook, Google searches, you name it.

I even currently have a Google Home Mini in my kitchen, just kind of experimenting with it and trying to figure out it's potential for helping my elderly nearly blind mother.

I try to be smart about it but there no hiding anymore...
It's not cheap, but you can install voice controlled lighting, HVAC Control and of course podcast\internet radio stuff, all controlled thru the Google Home\mini. My mother 80yrs and in a wheelchair and really has a hard time with (although she's much better now!) technology - and her strength is fading.
Good luck with helping your mother.

I remember when any sale at Radio Shack wasn't complete until the clerk asked for your address. My standard response to that was "It's none of your business".
Gah, I also remember being miffed about this and refusing to give my address.
Geez, I guess I've changed my tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom