more wadia itransport

I went to the Apple web site and looked up the info on the Apple TV........I could not find any information on if the unit has the capability of accessing an IPOD's pre internal DAC data stream like the Wadia does...........I will say the unit does have alot of different types of outputs......(beside a set of analog RCA's all the different/current types of digital outputs....). But unless the Apple TV can gain access to the IPOD's pre-DAC audio signal, the Wadia is still the front runner for getting audiophile audio out of a IPOD by by passing the IPOD's internal DAC.....that is the main reason why some of us are taking a serious look at the Wadia..........maybe someone out there that has a connection of some sort to Apple that find that info out.....but I would think that if the Apple TV unit does indeed give the user access to the pre-DAC audio signal, the info on the Apple TV would of said so (I would think that would be a very large selling point)..........so I am going to go out on a limb here and say that yes the Apple TV unit seems like a very well thought out unit for the "average" person who is happy with the way the IPOD sounds using all the different types of audio files, giving them access to the different ways to connect the unit to their stereo, AV and video systems but for the "audiophile" looking the get the very best audio out of an IPOD this is where the Apple TV falls short and the Wadia is still the front runner...may not be the "cheapest" way but it is the "only" way for now anyway....but this is just my opinion..... one of many I am sure..........:smoke:

I am wondering why only Wadia has a product that can bypass the ipod's 0.30c dac? Apple invented the ipod so at the very least you would think that Apple would also have something available ie the ATV, that does the same thing. Does anyone know why not?:scratch2:

I di not think one would have to worry about Apple changing the 30 pin connector that is currently being used on most of the IPODs......they are to imbedded with all the companies that manufacture and sell all the accessories that use that connector..........

As for Apple spending money on a dock that bypasses the internal DAC like the Wadia does, the market for such a unit I would think is pretty small (audiophiles like us....) and their "bean counters" probably told them they would not make a profit on it...Apple is geared toward the market that is more interested in quanity instead of quality......but again this is just my opinion.............:music:

Yeah, I think someone in marketing @ Apple said, how do we get just as many big rig users out there to buy a $400.00 170i? Get Wadia to make it, and with there reputation for $10,000 + cd players etc we might attract the higher end folk, and for them if it is a simple trial on how to integrate their kids iPod into Dads hardcore set up (one example), in the living room, Apple had at least added that lot to their sales.

Yeah, I think someone in marketing @ Apple said, how do we get just as many big rig users out there to buy a $400.00 170i? Get Wadia to make it, and with there reputation for $10,000 + cd players etc we might attract the higher end folk, and for them if it is a simple trial on how to integrate their kids iPod into Dads hardcore set up (one example), in the living room, Apple had at least added that lot to their sales.

I see your point but I would think if "DAD" has a high end system he would not bother playing his kids IPOD with 128kbps MP3 files though his system.......just "his" IPOD with "wav" files............:D

I see your point but I would think if "DAD" has a high end system he would not bother playing his kids IPOD with 128kbps MP3 files though his system.......just "his" IPOD with "wav" files............:D

You're right, 128kbps yikes. I assumed two things in haste, her iPod at 128 and dad's rig might not have a decent dac or ext dac at all....

SoundHD: There is no IPOD involved with ATV so I am not following your comments about it accessing the IPODs pre-DAC audio signal. It is the "IPOD", except with an optical TOSLINK output. Does the Toslink output bypass the ATV's internal DAC? I would think so. Don't know for sure, and I've been wrong before, but why would a digital output go through a DAC first? Maybe somebody who knows can comment.

Back
Top Bottom