Morinized AR XA Cartridge/Sytylus Recomendations ?

Be watching this thread as mine is going together slowly after getting the arm back from Marc and the Plinth from Larry.
I am getting the new Sumiko Moonstone soon that might end up on the AR TA I have.

IMG_20181004_221135.jpg

I've used several different carts on my XA's, but the one that I'm enjoying currently is a Pickering V15 Micro IV(same cart as a Stanton 600). It works especially well because lots of stylus choices are available to provide an additional amount of flexibility.

I’m currently trying out an Jico Seto Hori MC cart , it’s hand made but I won’t get into the details unless anyone would like to know . What I can tell you is even though I wasn’t sure on whether it would be a match for my Marc Morinfied XA I shouldn’t have worried , it’s an absolute perfect match despite how heavy it is . I am using a pretty light headshell (Yamamoto Cherrywood) and I have it all dialed in nicely. The sound this cart makes is nothing short of breathtaking on the XA. So if anyone is wondering in whether a Marc Morin table can handle a pricey cart I wouldn’t worry as it handles it with zero issues and sounds wonderful. It’s not your typical looking cart and is a love it or hate look but all that is forgotten once you listen to it .
0C5D1B0F-4BAF-4837-8D1E-3D12AF431952.jpeg 7956300D-F65F-4777-BBEB-01EB7F0296B3.jpeg

Audiofreak71

I’m currently trying out an Jico Seto Hori MC cart , it’s hand made but I won’t get into the details unless anyone would like to know . What I can tell you is even though I wasn’t sure on whether it would be a match for my Marc Morinfied XA I shouldn’t have worried , it’s an absolute perfect match despite how heavy it is . I am using a pretty light headshell (Yamamoto Cherrywood) and I have it all dialed in nicely. The sound this cart makes is nothing short of breathtaking on the XA. So if anyone is wondering in whether a Marc Morin table can handle a pricey cart I wouldn’t worry as it handles it with zero issues and sounds wonderful. It’s not your typical looking cart and is a love it or hate look but all that is forgotten once you listen to it .
View attachment 1721852 View attachment 1721853

Audiofreak71
Interesting.... Are you using the heavier counterweight with the Yamamoto cherrywood?

Audiofreak71
I was intrigued. For anyone else interested-
https://www.jico-stylus.com/seto-hori/

I've always thought Grados sounded wonderful on an AR. One of my AR XA has been given the full Morin treatment and my Grado Gold2 is still my daily driver on that machine.

I'm real happy with my Grado ZF3 w/Black stylus on my XA. At least I think it's a black stylus, either that or it was NOS or low hours original. Either way, it's clean and sounds great.

Audiofreak71
although the arm dates from the early 60's, once some of the fundamental parts are changed, the arm is quite capable of running most any cart. it just looks crude.

AK member @flasher1 may still make heavier counterweights that are just longer versions of the original brass ones. I use also the Yamamoto headshell with the heavier CW based upon @Audiofreak71 's recommendation.
Coincidentally, I'm having Larry drill out 7 or 8 grams from his 125 gram CW to augment my 99 gram stock CW and my 125 gram heavy CW. The goal is to have a variety of weights to select from in order the get the CW as close to the pivot as possible when using a variety of headshells.
For example, with my boxwood Yamamoto headshells I can't use the heavy CW (can't adjust in far enough) so I have to use the stock CW located way out at the end of the arm.

Coincidentally, I'm having Larry drill out 7 or 8 grams from his 125 gram CW to augment my 99 gram stock CW and my 125 gram heavy CW. The goal is to have a variety of weights to select from in order the get the CW as close to the pivot as possible when using a variety of headshells.
For example, with my boxwood Yamamoto headshells I can't use the heavy CW (can't adjust in far enough) so I have to use the stock CW located way out at the end of the arm.
the center mass of the C/W and its distance from the vertical pivots is 1/2 the formula for "effective arm mass" being that it is of neutral mass type, the effective mass and dynamic mass are pretty much the same, not true for a static balance arm, the dynamic mass swings can be quite high, depending on how far above the centerline masses Cart/Counterweight, the vertical pivot sits

The boxwood Yamamoto weighs about 8.2gr and the cherry one is 10.4gr The additional 2.2gr translates into needing about 15gr more counterweight so that is probably why Larry's 125gr CW works with the cherry headshell. The CW is pretty close to the pivot block in my case. For a reference point I use a Shelter 501 with the cherry headshell for a total weight of about 19g.

What carts are you mounting to the boxwood Yamamoto? Just a thought: It might be easier to just add a brass shim to the headshell vs altering the CW.

Back
Top Bottom