Morrow Audio MA1 ICs

addylo

Just ordered a Morrow Audio MA1 interconnect. Based on what I've read on this forum they seem to be well regarded for the money. I understand a long (100+ hr) burn-in period is required.

I've been using Blue Jean Cable's LC-1's. Looking forward to comparing the two.

You guys are bad for me. :D

Last edited:
They are certainly way different than the LC-1 which I could never get to work in my system. Some folks will like the Morrow better and others the LC-1's. I liked the MA-1's better but to be honest I haven't kept either on a primary source for long. One smothers all the detail and the other is just a bit too open. You will have a lot of fun with the comparison. Look forward to reading your impressions.

BTW, I love your system. Great pieces that should make for quite the engaging listen.

Thanks Art. I believe it was one of your posts that got me to looking at the Morrow. The fact that they're running a 30% off 4th of July special didn't hurt. For that money I thought it was worth getting one to compare.

Yeah, I'm enjoying these components. It's my first decent system so I don't have much to compare it with but so far I've had no complaints.

I like the Morrows because they sound good, and they're very flexible - great in tight spots. FWIW, Morrow websites states it can take up to 400 hrs for break-in, if you believe in that sort of thing

I bought 5 pairs of the Morrow MA-1's last year out of curiosity. Cut to the chase, they're probably the finest budget cables for under $50. Fast and open sounding cable with lots of detail without being bright.

The discussion I've seen the most for these is between a primary source and the pre/amp. What about between the pre out and the amp in? Is this a good choice for that?

I received my order yesterday, plugged them between my phono stage and amp, and am impressed so far. But I was surprised to read the break-in guidelines and learn that 400 to 500 hrs is recommended. I had thought that only 100 hrs (or so) was needed. Not a big deal but I listen to an alternating combination of vinyl and CD. 400 to 500 hrs on just vinyl is going to take a while. And they don't recommend switching the cables between components.

Morrow's 30% special ends today. I may just go ahead and order another set for my CD player. Over 6 months (or so) I'll have reached the breakin period on both.

Works well with my horns, open and fast though not quite as detailed as silver Litz but then they are a fraction of the price.

Morrow's 30% special ends today. I may just go ahead and order another set for my CD player. Over 6 months (or so) I'll have reached the breakin period on both.

Morrow Audio is perpetually on sale... Generally 30-50% off the RRP. I receive emails weekly regarding their various sales.

Just ordered a Morrow Audio MA1 interconnect. Based on what I've read on this forum they seem to be well regarded for the money. I understand a long (100+ hr) burn-in period is required.

I've been using Blue Jean Cable's LC-1's. Looking forward to comparing the two.

You guys are bad for me. :D

What are your thougths compared to the BJC LC-1's?

I'm still early in the break-in period but I'm preferring them so far. A tad richer mids is the first thing I noticed.

I did end up buying a second set. I put the first set between the phono stage and amp. The second set went to the CD player.

So far I'm probably a quarter way through break-in on the first set because I mostly listen to vinyl. I doubt the second cable set (on the CD player) have gotten a total of 2 hours since I bought them.

Have any of you guys here ever heard about the break in trick of applying a 9v transistor radio type battery to ICs. The fellow who told me about at a fest a few years back said that you want the negative terminal on the end that will plug into the amp, and the positive on the end that will plug into the device (CDP or whatever). Current flows from negative to positive, so this will break them in directionally as well, even though we are dealing with AC voltage. He also said it takes just a second, no matter what the manufacturer recomends. I never tried it, as I use a Cardis sweep LP for most burn in jobs. It just came to mind when I read the 400 hour deal. I wonder what is actually happening to the wire that takes so long, do they say? I think if I were to try the above mentioned "trick" I'd first try it on some cheap cables and use a 1.5 volt battery, or even a variac set for 1 or 2 volts to get AC.:scratch2: I think I might design a cable burner inner. I used to have a lot of trouble with belts stretching when I did residential AC and heating. I'd put on a new belt, and in 30 days it would be too loose. I made myself a belt stretcher with a motor, a couple pulleys, and a fairly heavy spring. The problem was eliminated, as were the call backs.:thmbsp:

Have any of you guys here ever heard about the break in trick of applying a 9v transistor radio type battery to ICs. The fellow who told me about at a fest a few years back said that you want the negative terminal on the end that will plug into the amp, and the positive on the end that will plug into the device (CDP or whatever). Current flows from negative to positive, so this will break them in directionally as well, even though we are dealing with AC voltage. He also said it takes just a second, no matter what the manufacturer recomends. I never tried it, as I use a Cardis sweep LP for most burn in jobs. It just came to mind when I read the 400 hour deal. I wonder what is actually happening to the wire that takes so long, do they say? I think if I were to try the above mentioned "trick" I'd first try it on some cheap cables and use a 1.5 volt battery, or even a variac set for 1 or 2 volts to get AC.:scratch2: I think I might design a cable burner inner. I used to have a lot of trouble with belts stretching when I did residential AC and heating. I'd put on a new belt, and in 30 days it would be too loose. I made myself a belt stretcher with a motor, a couple pulleys, and a fairly heavy spring. The problem was eliminated, as were the call backs.:thmbsp:

Morrow has a website. Send him an email and ask whassup.

I told a friend about Morrow and he stopped by Mikes house since he was on business near Cincinnatti. He called as soon as he left saying that Mikes reference system was the most 3D/ magical yet realistic thing he has ever heard.

I told a friend about Morrow and he stopped by Mikes house since he was on business near Cincinnatti. He called as soon as he left saying that Mikes reference system was the most 3D/ magical yet realistic thing he has ever heard.

Probably with the M7 Grand Ref I/C at a $Grand a pr......not the M1 @ $50 pr....:tears:

I just bought a pair of SP3 speaker cables, MA3 interconnect and PH3 phono cables. They should be shipping soon. I'm pretty excited as these are my first upper level cables.

I just bought a pair of SP3 speaker cables, MA3 interconnect and PH3 phono cables. They should be shipping soon. I'm pretty excited as these are my first upper level cables.

Let us know about the PH3 phono cables....I have interest in those.

I have very few hours on my cabling thus far, but to say it was an improvement is an understatement. It's lifted the veil, so to speak, that I had while using the Blue Jeans Interconnects and Speaker cable. Much larger sound stage with much more air in the presentation. Imaging is more focused and the top and bottom end have become magical.

i just got my ma3,3 pr to replace audioquest copperheads,i ordered with the 2 day break in,they say 96 hrs,so far i like them,i really dont hear an improvement,but it seems i can give more power to my marantz 250 amps without distortion..we"ll see i have 60 days to send back...

After reading about Morrow cables here and on Audiogon, I tried a pair as well...and then slowly went about putting them in my entire main system.

PH1 between VPI Classic and PS Audio GCPH, MA 2 to the Yamaha MX-830 amp, then a run of SP1 to my speakers. I also used some MA 1.1s between a Peachtree dac/pre.

Like you all said, it really opens up the sound...if it didn't, I would have returned them and got my money back (Mike Morrow will take them back up to 60 days from purchase). It's easier on the wallet to believe that cables don't matter, but in my room, with this equipment, that's just not been the case.

I also upgraded from Blue Jeans -- which are also excellent cables.

Back
Top Bottom