Most common album at yard sales, thrift stores

Jenkster

Bonzo!
Subscriber
I don’t go yard/garage saling too often. Nor do I visit many thrift stores frequently. But, in the last couple of months I have stopped by both more than usual. At every single one that had albums was a Herb Alpert and the “Tiajuana Brass” album, every one. No wonder he is the A of A&M records as he must have made a fortune! Some may not know that originally there was no TJ Brass, just him and studio musicians.

Some other very common albums are Tapestry by Carol King, Dark Side of The Moon by Pink Floyd, Frampton Comes Alive and surprisingly a lot of Al Hirt records?

I live in far Northern California. I would think common albums would change geographically? I would like to know the common album finds by other members. Thanks!

Last edited:
I don’t go yard/garage saling too often. Nor do I visit many thrift stores frequently. But, in the last couple of months I have stopped by both more than usual. At every single one that had albums was a Herb Alpert and the “Tiajuana Brass” album, every one. No wonder he is the A of A&M records as he must have made a fortune! Some may not know that originally there was no TJ Brass, just him and studio musicians.

Some other very common albums are Tapestry by Carol King, Dark Side of The Moon by Pink Floyd, Frampton Comes Alive and surprisingly a lot of Al Hurt records?

I live in far Northern California. I would think common albums would change geographically? I would like to know the common album finds by other members. Thanks!

My experience here in the Colorado Front Range is the following :

#1 - - Ray Conniff

#2 - - Guy Lombardo

#3 - - Herb Alpert

#4 - - John Denver

# 5 - - Jesus Christ Super Star

I see these in all sales, and in all collections. At one time I had 12 JCSS albums. I started giving them away, and it was really difficult, until I started showing people how to make bowls in the oven with records.

TFF_cover.jpg

Vaughn Meader ... seen this album about a hundred times (not an exaggeration) in numerous thrifts over the years.

According to several sources, stand-up comedian Lenny Bruce went on with his November 22 nightclub show as scheduled. Just hours after Kennedy's death, Bruce walked onstage, stood silently for several moments, then said sadly, "Boy, is Vaughn Meader f***ed."The joke proved true. Meader discovered that he was so completely typecast as a Kennedy impersonator that he could not find anyone willing to hire him for any of his other talents.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
In Central Florida :

The Soundtrack from Sleepless in Seattle. I counted them in the SA one time ... they had 8 of them.

Distant second is the 1984 Mannheim Steamroller Christmas album.

Mark Gosdin

Adding to albums above, I've seen at garage sales:
Tennessee Ernie Ford
Jim Nebers, sorry on spelling if wrong?
Perry Como
George Shearing, can be to my liking.
Andy Williams Christmas Albums
Mitch Miller
Nat King Cole, again I like.
Peggy Lee, """
A lot of classical orchestral box sets from Time Life, 101 Strings, Readers Digest.
Olivia Newton John
Captian and Tenille
Boots Randolph
Pete Fountain, I like
Godspell sound track
Linda Rondstadt
Statler Brothers

Last edited:
Carol King Tapestry. These things have multiplied like rabbits over the years. I see multiple copies still sealed in most record stores I visit. One had a whole stack sitting on the floor. Once in the 80's a truck backed in to be unloaded and the driver was flustered. A big bin of albums and cassette tapes had burts open spreading them all over the trailer. He started flinging them out the back. Again, Carol King was one of them that multiple copies kept flying out the back of the trailer. We tossed those right back at him. :D Ive always wondered why so dang many of these albums were made? Remember all the constant TV commercials for this album? Worse than the Slim Whitman commercials. :rolleyes:

Carol King Tapestry. These things have multiplied like rabbits over the years. I see multiple copies still sealed in most record stores I visit. One had a whole stack sitting on the floor. Once in the 80's a truck backed in to be unloaded and the driver was flustered. A big bin of albums and cassette tapes had burts open spreading them all over the trailer. He started flinging them out the back. Again, Carol King was one of them that multiple copies kept flying out the back of the trailer. We tossed those right back at him. :D Ive always wondered why so dang many of these albums were made? Remember all the constant TV commercials for this album? Worse than the Slim Whitman commercials. :rolleyes:

Alike Barry Mantilo (spelling), someone liked them.

Rugby Songs, Irish Songs, Scottish Pipe Bands, Songs From The Welsh Valleys, The Seekers, Pussycat, Kamahl, Richard Clayderman, Barry Manilow, Harry Secombe, Perry Como, Val Doonican, Herb Alpert, Art Garfunkel, Leo Sayer, Nana Maskouri, Demis Rousos to name a few.

I've occasionally been stopping by a record store that has discounted LPs stuck everywhere. While perusing the recently received stacks last week I saw at least three copies of the Alpert album. Others I keep seeing are Chuck Mangione's Feel So Good, The Eagles Greatest Hits, and the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.

Back
Top Bottom