Most economical rates for components?

N8Nagel

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm starting to pack some items that I've been trying to get rid of. However now I'm wondering if it's better to just drop low value items off at Goodwill or similar. I remember shipping some packages FedEx around Christmastime, however it appears that shipping rates have about doubled since then, does anyone really want to pay $17 to ship a $30-40 item? We're talking light things like DVD and Blu-Ray players here, seems like a 3 lb. box is still expensive. I was expecting about $10 or less but that's not what I see when I punch the numbers into FedEx's calculator.

How do you guys do it and who are you using?

Nope, cheap stuff of any size isn't worth shipping unless somebody wants it so bad they don't care. I'm also convinced that flat rate boxes were designed based on an analysis of the stuff people ship, minus about 20%- you always need the next size up because the size you should need is half an inch short in some direction.

I'm starting to wonder if you're not right, it just would kill me to see this stuff back on the thrift store shelves and eventually recycled because nobody sees the "SACD" logo or similar... would rather get this stuff into the hands of people just looking for something decent and cheap

yeah stuff like that is best done local sales, or just donate it if you're completely fed up with looking at it.

You're paying more for the size than the weight. Weight adds as well of course but the trucks are more limited by volume than anything else.

Honestly I'd just give it away to friends, but other than ones met through this auspicious site, I don't think anyone knows what a SACD is...

I know what it is, but I don't own any. Or really very many regular CDs or a CD player. Its lack of former that has allowed lack of latter. I had them stolen a long while ago and never really replaced them.

USPS Parcel rate tables in ebay are flat out wrong. USPS bumps up rates to Priority for locations close to you. You could end up losing a good amount of your sales price. For longer distance, USPS is better than Fedex Ground which has gone to weight plus dimension pricing. UPS has not been competitive for years.

UPS ground rates for account holders with the accompanying discount are ok, just the retail pricing that's out of sight. If you factor in more consistent delivery time & tracking (vs. USPS Parcel), it's a reasonable alternative. Dimensional weight is still a factor, though - really helps to adopt lean packing methods that don't require using over-sized outer cartons. If I more fragile, heavier stuff like some of you (McIntosh glass-faced pieces, tube gear etc.) I suppose I'd run into those issues more.

John

Back
Top Bottom