Most listened to album in your lifetime?

Great question. Like you, my tastes have evolved over the years, so much of what I played to death in my youth I tend not to spin these days. Nevertheless, on the whole, I'd say it would be a toss up among these albums:

Beatles - White Album
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St.
Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup
Tame Impala - Currents

What one album have you listened to the most in your lifetime? Not necessarily your most favorite (although it may be).

As for me it is a tough call. There is Led Zeppelin IV, Hotel California, Rumors, I Robot and Aja all of which I have warn out several records each over the years. It may not be fair in that there are some newer albums I really like that just don’t have the benefit of time to make the list.

Also, my tastes have changed a bit over the years but I still don’t listen to music as often as I did back when I was much younger. I could not imagine listening to KOB in my 20s but it is probably the most played album in the last 10 years in my system.

For me it must be DSOTM which is totally etched in my brain and I’ve heard probably more than all the others combined.

Since I have been listening to vinyl since 1974, I would have to say my lifetime acheivement award goes to my original release copy of Boston's first album.

Runners up would include:
Blondie Parallel Lines
Fleetwood Mac Rumours
Kansas Leftoverture

Last edited:
In no order. ELP "Welcome Back My Friends...", The Who's "Quadrophenia", Frank Zappa's "Absolutely Free", Deep Purple's "Machine Head"

Electric Ladyland or Are You Exprienced? or Meet the Beatles or A Hard Day's Night or Beggars Banquet or Let It Bleed or The Who Sell Out or In the Court of the Crimson King or The Yes Album or Close to the Edge or something.......

I remember listening to Lou Reed's "Rock n Roll Animal" every night for months in high school. So that has to be it.
Over the long haul the one that always gets played every six months or so would be Love Tractor's "This Ain't No Outterspace Ship".

Lou Reed - Rock and Roll Animal, Ramones - Road to Ruin, X -Wild Gift, Sabbath - Masters of Reality & Mob Rules, King Crimson - Discipline, Black Flag - Damaged.

Blonde on Blonde, Let it Bleed, Dark Side of the Moon, Madman Across the Water, Between the Lines - not sure which is the most listened but all of them lots of times.

I really couldn't say... I know that Elliott Smith's self titled has got lots of spins. I also wore the crap out of QOTSA Songs for the Deaf back in the day. But since the advent of streaming, I have really made an effort to spend less time delving into my collection and listening to new stuff, both streaming, and also from expanding my collection now that many people are dumping their media and good stuff is showing up in thrift stores.

Boston~S/T by far. I could listen to that one every day and not get tired of it--it is just such a cohesive piece of work from beginning to end.
You read my mind .

16749_4.jpg

I used to listen to a lot of Kansas, a lot, but it seems I've moved on and hardly ever play them.

I remember listening to Lou Reed's "Rock n Roll Animal" every night for months in high school. So that has to be it.
Over the long haul the one that always gets played every six months or so would be Love Tractor's "This Ain't No Outterspace Ship".
Rock n Roll Animal is likely #2. I play these albums infrequently now. These days maybe Gillian Weich’s The Harrow end the Harvest.

I really couldn't be sure. A short list would include:

CSN&Y - So Far
Alice Cooper - Killer
Band Of Gypsies
Lou Reed - Live
Talking Heads - Remain In Light

Back
Top Bottom