Most listened to album in your lifetime?

Jackson Browne - Late For The Sky

In my case this one is a definite contender among several others for the title of "played most often":

Humble Pie - Rockin' The Fillmore
Stones - Exile On Main Street
Stones - Sticky Fingers
Stones - Let It Bleed
Grateful Dead - Europe '72
Zappa & The Mothers - Fillmore East June 1971
Albert King - Live Wire
Elmore James - The Sky Is Crying
Mott The Hoople - "Live", All The Young Dudes, Brain Capers, The Hoople...
Cheap Trick - In Color
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
The Doors - The Doors and/or Waiting For The Sun (LPs #1 and #2)
Big Star - Radio City
John Prine - John Prine
The Who - Who's Next & Live At Leeds

I played my vinyl copies and, later, digital versions, of each of the above hundreds of times @ '60s-2000s. Don't think I can say which of these I've heard the most, but if pressed, I'll go w/ John Prine's debut LP.

Last edited:
^^^ P.S. And then there are Dylans LPs to consider, starting w/ Blood On The Tracks...listened to hundreds of times @ vinyl and digital formats. And Black Sabbath, especially the albums Master Of Reality, Volume IV, and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, quite a good "run" of albums. Oh, and also Johnny Cash -- Unchained. Pink Floyd - WYWH is way up there, too... heck, I'm listening to WYWH at this very moment.

Last edited:
^^^ P.P.S.

Other honourable mentions: The Cramps - Gravest Hits; Misfits - Beware; and Metallica - Through The Never...each of these a few hundred times? Heck, I still listen to various "live" Metallica (all digitzed FLAC) 3-4 times/week, when @ the gym lifting and/or hitting/kicking the heavy & speed bags. Often TTN, but also their '89 Seattle, '93 Mexico City, and any one of the 4-show stand @ The Fillmore (San Francisco) in 2011.

Last edited:
I've had a few reliable Go-tos over the years that got frequent play, but random CD purchases from the local animal shelter thrift has been expanding the choices and reducing constant repeats of favorites.

I was obsessed with the YESSONGS triple live album for a long time.
I know every note of the Beatles White Album.
Pink Floyd's The Wall spent countless hours on the platter. I would play it backwards with my finger.
Anything by Queen. I wore those records out!

I've never heard many of the records mentioned here even once ... Wow!

DSOTM for me - easy. DePeche Mode Ultra would likely be #2.

After thinking about this for a couple of days, I think I listen to the Eagles' "Desperado" more often than any other. I know that it is not their biggest record. But, I like it a lot. In fact, I need to find a new copy. It belonged to my wife's mother back in the '70s. She played it a lot too and played it on one of those all-in-one combo stereos. You know the ones with the tt on top and a built in 8-track player. A Craig, I think. Had a ceramic needle instead of a lighter tracking cartridge. I seem to remember her taping a coin on top of the headshell, also.

It's a toss up between:
The Who "Who's Next"
The Who "Live At Leeds"
Cream "Disraeli Gears"
Yes "The Yes Album"

I think I should probably add .38 Special's "Tour de Force" and Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours". My mom absolutely loved those two albums, so I heard them all the way through several times in my life. With my dad it was either Jethro Tull's "Aqualung" or "Will The Circle Be Unbroken?" by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.

And I can't believe I forgot one of my childhood favorites- Joe Cocker Live. According to my parents, that was one of my most requested when I was little.

After having my memory jogged by some other posts I would have to list my Top 5 as

Hot Rocks
Space Ritual Live
Toys In The Attic
Machine Head
Paranoid

Back
Top Bottom