Most "Race-car-looking" race car ever?

Nobody's mentioned the Alfa Romeo 158/159 Grand Prix cars yet. 47 wins in 54 races entered. I think they're gorgeous!

images
images
images

427 cobra hasn't been mentioned. The original bas ass.

2f2ef6aea622401e9f753b7a9a99196b.jpg
I'm a hold out for that car. I remember seeing a brand new one roped off on display at Downey Ford in Downey, California in 1966 with a $6500 sticker on it. 427 of course. Look at that thing... spoiling with attitude like it can literarily eat the space between any two points. It almost looks alive. I wish I had that $6500 car in my garage as it was on that showroom floor just so I could visit it once in a while.

Foyt. Indy. 1961. Bricks. Offenhauser.

In the early-mid '60s my Dad and his crew were going to a lot of the USAC races (sprint tracks, Hoosier Hundred, etc) with kids in tow. That picture of Foyt is more than a pic to me. It is a memory. I remember going up to Foyt, when I was around 8 or so and after prodding from the Ole Man, and asking for an autograph after a USAC sprint race.

Last edited:
In the early-mid '60s my Dad and his crew were going to a lot of the USAC races (sprint tracks, Hoosier Hundred, etc) with kids in tow. That picture of Foyt is more than a pic to me. It is a memory. I remember going up to Foyt, when I was around 8 or so and after prodding from the Ole Man, and asking for an autograph after a USAC sprint race.

Did you get it? I hear A.J. could be kind of cranky.

Yeah I got it. My Dad stood back and sent me in for it, lol. And it is long gone now. I had a few other autographs from the USAC top dogs (sprint car mainly) of the day as well, can't remember which ones. Back then we went to Eldora OH, New Bremen OH, Salem IN, Winchester IN. The drivers were fairly accessible at those relatively smaller venues, after the racing was finished of course. I remember at one venue (possibly not one mentioned above) where there was a shower available to the drivers and one of the top guys, Red something, was headed into the showers looking filthy (must have been a dirt track).

I also remember the first time I heard of Mario Andretti. He showed up at one of the above mentioned tracks and blew away the competition. His car was painted a light blue color and he rode on the outside groove whereas the others were more inside. I have to wonder if he was really that much better than the others or if maybe there was something "special" about his car.

Back
Top Bottom