Most representative TTs of all time

When I used to sell audio equipment in SF during the 70s, the AR turntable made the biggest "splash" due to it's suspended system, very basic operation, simplicity and ease of use, low price, and I guess as I remember then, fairly accurate tracking ability.....

4-2-7 .... What is your thoughts on that?

I don't know what you asking, that's your opinion?
Then it's fine.
I know that things that can be sold at a cheaper price and work will always do well and get a lot of support

Michell came out with the Focus One because the vast majority could not afford the Transcriptor in post #37. We see lots of them today still on UK eBay and that table made a big splash with the Brits.

Yes Malden, I have learn a couple of things. May be the most relevant is that there are lots of people who know more than me.

In my process, I would like to receive recommendations like
* I learn that the Technics SP-10 was the first direct drive TT
* I still don't know which one was the first TT with stroboscope, I've found that there is a Philips patent, but no model related to that
* I still don't know which one was the first TT with cue lever
* I've found that the first TT with a scale for tracking force is the Philips AF777 from 1981, but I need to confirm that info.
* I still don't know which one was the first TT with belt and electronics speed control, they use to be synchronous
* I still don't know which one was the first TT with quartz lock speed control (it was really Victor JL-B1000P?)
* Which one was the first linear tracking TT?
* Of course that turntables that are famous for appearing in movies could have a place in the museum

And last but not least, please don't make an issue between relevant and representative. Just share your opinion indicating the TTs you would love to see in a museum in 60 years more while your grand grand children is pushing your wheelchair and you can brag describing all of them. We come here for fun, do you remember?

Regards

Pete

Fun for me is learning new things. What exactly do you mean by "representative"?

Is this going to be a "brick and mortar" museum or "virtual"? If "virtual", my grand-kids won't have to push my wheel chair very far, maybe just down the stairs if I brag too much...:D

Last edited:
To cover off a good chunk of the 70's Japanese S-arm 'invasion' ... I'd include an example of one of the CEC-manufactured turntables done for a major Japanese manufacturer ... with as complete a list of manufacturers that OEM'd them from chuo denki as possible. While not perhaps ground breaking, they did so many makes / models they really were a major player.

Micro Seiki comes to mind as well.

Re: Dual. I'd call the 1009 their revolution. That was the first changer which could track below two grams, and the first which could handle high compliance cartridges and the closest to manual performance. This in 1964, extremely ahead of it's time. This established Dual as the king of the high end changer manufacturers.

Are these representitive or iconic? Hard to say,as things of this nature are often driven by regionality,availability and obviously,economics. (Internet pics.)

The Thorens TD-125 with an SME 3009 arm was once (and still often is) a top of the line,yet very common and widely available combination. Introduced ca 1969:
thorens-td-125-mkii-sme-3009-hifi-vintage.jpg

A later,also top of the line offering,although less readily available in the used market,is the Michell Gyro SE with a modern SME arm. This is one of the most recognizable tt's ever made. Introduced ca 1980 (as the Gyrodec,which had a full-sized plinth) :

GyroSE-4.jpg

The Dual 1019 was noted a few times previously and would be a great fit and represent about the best of the idler wheel drive changers. Many consider this Dual's best, if not most iconic, turntable. Dual was also a huge player in the market and a museum with turntables and no Duals represented would not be complete IMHO. The irony is that I have only come to appreciate them in the last few years, and "back in the day" wasn't interested. Other notable Duals are the 1229 and 701 but the 1019 is the grand-daddy.

DSC_3057.JPG

Last edited:
When was / what was the 1st stereo cartridge produced? .... that was commercially 'accepted'? That would have been late 1950's I think. So the 1st few turntables produced to support those cartridges (probably as magnetic carts) would be of interest.

* I still don't know which one was the first TT with stroboscope, I've found that there is a Philips patent, but no model related to that
I doubt it was the first ever, but Califone's 1950s record players have a strobe and continuously variable speed/pitch control:

Re: Dual. I'd call the 1009 their revolution. That was the first changer which could track below two grams, and the first which could handle high compliance cartridges and the closest to manual performance. This in 1964, extremely ahead of it's time. This established Dual as the king of the high end changer manufacturers.
I'd have to agree with that. I had a 1009 long before I got my 1019. Many of the guys I hung with in that era had 1009s, and they really sold a lot of them at the better audio stores. I see them as revolutionary and were a great value.

Thanks for bringing up Oracle. I was going to do so if no one else did. They deserve recognition as a continuously cutting edge company making products in the same place in Canada since the late 1970s until today.
Right along with SOTA, putting the LP-12 to shame, well and the VPI was a also ran but kept changing things as they just couldn't get a perfect platform.

Fun for me is learning new things. What exactly do you mean by "representative"?

Is this going to be a "brick and mortar" museum or "virtual"? If "virtual", my grand-kids won't have to push my wheel chair very far, maybe just down the stairs if I brag too much...:D
Brick and mortar and I hope your grand children willing to pay the ticket to Santiago.

Are these representitive or iconic? Hard to say,as things of this nature are often driven by regionality,availability and obviously,economics. (Internet pics.)

The Thorens TD-125 with an SME 3009 arm was once (and still often is) a top of the line,yet very common and widely available combination. Introduced ca 1969:

A later,also top of the line offering,although less readily available in the used market,is the Michell Gyro SE with a modern SME arm. This is one of the most recognizable tt's ever made. Introduced ca 1980 (as the Gyrodec,which had a full-sized plinth) :
Thorens TD-125 with the SME tonearm have the special quality of gaining respect year by year. Only few TTs can show that quality

Back
Top Bottom