Most unreliable modern engine?

Lets look at the evidence. The 350 Chevy saw fit to install in the 1996 Z71 put out 200hp, had to down shift to make an over pass on I95, and had to be replaced at 150k. The 4 cylinder in my 1988 Toyota 4X4 had 475k when I sold it. The straight 6 in my Jeep has 275k and still going strong. The 4 banger in my Volvo had 360k when I sold it. I could go on but that should be enough.

Martin

Well, actually it isn't -- kind of a small sample size there, Perfesser.

Besides, the 350 LT-1 I had in my '70 Z/28 would run high 13s all day long and bark the tires on every shift along the way. Let's see your Toyota or your Jeep or your Volvo do that.

Still a piece of shit in my book and that's what the OP wanted to hear. The 4 bolt main I replaced it with was a different story. The Chevy 350 is plentiful at the junkyard so a favorite of the mudders, drown one just throw in another cheap piece of shit while the Toyotas just keep going. If you want to check out how a real truck stands up to abuse watch Top Gear's episode on the truck that wouldn't die. It wasn't just the motor that was a piece of shit but the whole drivetrain. Replaced the diff twice, the tranny, and the engine, all before 180k. The only off road use was on construction sites, in my book that's a piece of shit for a 4X4, Z71 off road my ass.

It's enough evidence for me, the only bigger piece of shit I've ever owned was a Chrysler, it was also a real lemon. The Chrysler didn't even make 60k before I had had enough, what a ****in money pit they both turned out to be.

Last edited:
Lets look at the evidence. The 350 Chevy saw fit to install in the 1996 Z71 put out 200hp, had to down shift to make an over pass on I95, and had to be replaced at 150k. The 4 cylinder in my 1988 Toyota 4X4 had 475k when I sold it. The straight 6 in my Jeep has 275k and still going strong. The 4 banger in my Volvo had 360k when I sold it. I could go on but that should be enough.

Martin

I just had to look up that HP stat, and sure enough, only 200!

I have a Honda roadster with a 2liter 4cyl that produces 240hp!

I had a '98 Chevy Silverado with the 305 engine. Not sure of it's hp ratings, but it was fairly peppy. Unfortunately, the Dex-Cool rotted the thing out. New radiator, hoses, water pump, intake gaskets, heater core, etc. (probably more I'm forgetting) by 60k miles. At about 70k, it was loosing coolant again, so I dumped it.......

Still a piece of shit in my book and that's what the OP wanted to hear. The 4 bolt main I replaced it with was a different story. The Chevy 350 is plentiful at the junkyard so a favorite of the mudders, drown one just throw in another cheap piece of shit while the Toyotas just keep going. If you want to check out how a real truck stands up to abuse watch Top Gear's episode on the truck that wouldn't die. It wasn't just the motor that was a piece of shit but the whole drivetrain. Replaced the diff twice, the tranny, and the engine, all before 180k. The only off road use was on construction sites, in my book that's a piece of shit for a 4X4, Z71 off road my ass.

It's enough evidence for me, the only bigger piece of shit I've ever owned was a Chrysler, it was also a real lemon. The Chrysler didn't even make 60k before I had had enough, what a ****in money pit they both turned out to be.

Hmmm....

My 1994 K1500 Ext Cab has 220k miles and still runs great. Original diff, original tranny, did have to replace the alternator and starter and just recently the radiator (none of those directly engine related).

It spent the first 1/2 of its life pulling a cargo trailer on I-94 and I-35.

Still doesn't use any oil to speak of, nor make any strange noises, and runs smooth. Got back from vacation about a week ago wherein I pulled my boat a bit over 500 miles round trip and averaged 13.5 mpg doing so.

King I think it is safe to say you had a lemon, NOT typical for a Chevy pickup my last one (97 Silverado) was sold by me in great running condition at 197000 miles. 96 was the last year for TBI I think? small block Chevy in any form is a workhorse and will stand up to lots of abuse. dont take my word for it just look at how many are out there!

As for the performance of my Toyotas, the 4X4 with the 22RE motor with the Headman header installed would smoke the Z71. The Celica GT I purchased new in 1976 with the Hooker header and Weber carb I installed would chirp the tires in the first 3 gears and run high 11's in the quarter, not to shabby for a 4 banger. The 22R is one of the best motors EVER made and is legendary for it's reliability and over achieving. Funny, back in the day you could order all kinds of go fast parts for Toyota from the Sear's catalogue, even a blower, lol.

Problem with the Z71 is they tried to make it lighter, this meant a rearend more suited for a Chevette than an off road truck. Installed a 13bolt diff with 456gears and a Detroit locker, the 1980 4bolt main crate motor with an 850CFM Edlebrock card, high rise mani, headers, a quick shift tranny and it was a completely different truck. Went from 200hp to over 400hp, returned the same 12mpg but would now smoke the 33" tires on the truck, even when loaded with over a ton of electrical supplies and tools. Truck was VERY loud, straight pipes all the way to the back, used to rev the motor in parking lots and set off all the car alarms.

Seriously, the way this truck left the factory was an embarrassment, couldn't even get out of it's own way.

Martin

Last edited:
As for the performance of my Toyotas, the 4X4 with the 22RE motor with the Headman header installed would smoke the Z71. The Celica GT I purchased new in 1976 with the Hooker header and Weber carb I installed would chirp the tires in the first 3 gears and run high 11's in the quarter, not to shabby for a 4 banger. The 22R is one of the best motors EVER made and is legendary for it's reliability and over achieving. Funny, back in the day you could order all kinds of go fast parts for Toyota from the Sear's catalogue, even a blower, lol.

Had no idea those old Toyotas were that quick thru the QM.. My old 65 Vette with a 350 LT1, headers, 12 to 1 compression duel 4 barrel carbs and 456 gears might have had some trouble beating that! :scratch2:

The Celica GT I purchased new in 1976 with the Hooker header and Weber carb I installed would chirp the tires in the first 3 gears and run high 11's in the quarter, not to shabby for a 4 banger.

original

Problem with the Z71 is they tried to make it lighter, this meant a rearend more suited for a Chevette than an off road truck. Installed a 13bolt diff with 456gears and a Detroit locker, the 1980 4bolt main crate motor with an 850CFM Edlebrock card, high rise mani, headers, a quick shift tranny and it was a completely different truck. Went from 200hp to over 400hp, returned the same 12mpg but would now smoke the 33" tires on the truck, even when loaded with over a ton of electrical supplies and tools. Truck was VERY loud, straight pipes all the way to the back, used to rev the motor in parking lots and set off all the car alarms.

Seriously, the way this truck left the factory was an embarrassment, couldn't even get out of it's own way.

Martin

The only way that Celica could run in the 11's is with a big ass turbo and lots of suspension modifications. I've been drag racing for more than forty years and your statement is pure BS.

As for the performance of my Toyotas, the 4X4 with the 22RE motor with the Headman header installed would smoke the Z71. The Celica GT I purchased new in 1976 with the Hooker header and Weber carb I installed would chirp the tires in the first 3 gears and run high 11's in the quarter, not to shabby for a 4 banger.

Enough. I hate it when people just start making shit up.

Nice looking truck, though.

Had no idea those old Toyotas were that quick thru the QM.. My old 65 Vette with a 350 LT1, headers, 12 to 1 compression duel 4 barrel carbs and 456 gears might have had some trouble beating that! :scratch2:

I hope not, had a 69 Mustang with a 429 that would see mid 10's all day, both cars carried close to 1200lbs more weight. Amazing what dragging an anchor behind will do.

So you can see it's possible. No it's not my old car, mine was nicer and that was many moons ago in my youth.

1976 Toyota Celica LT Pictures & Mods
1/4 mile data
12.627 seconds
109.710 MPH trap speed

6908-1976-Toyota-Celica.jpg

Last edited:
The Celica had "ahem" just a few more modifications, not to mention a Vette has more than a 1000 pounds extra weight to lug around.

My old 65 Corvette if memory serves tipped the scale at a shade over 3000 lbs. With the 456 rear end and that 350 which I'd say was putting out maybe 425hp @ 7000 it would really tach out in the quarter mile. I'm sure the Toyota must have been fast too, but it takes some seriously big muscle as well as a car built for it to get in the elevens. :yes: I don't think I got my car quite that fast, almost tho..

Problem with the Z71 is they tried to make it lighter, this meant a rearend more suited for a Chevette than an off road truck.

The Z71 option was only:

Bilstein gas shocks
Metal skid plates
Larger tires (265 vs. 245)
Z71 decals

I get it you think the truck sucked, but just for the record there was no different weight trimming or lightening of axles, etc. I drove one for about a year before the company changed color scheme then we traded it in for a different color.

I just had to look up that HP stat, and sure enough, only 200!

I have a Honda roadster with a 2liter 4cyl that produces 240hp!

Yeah, 240hp @ 7,800 rpm and roughly 160lb-ft @ 6,800. Neato, but hardly good material for a truck.

Back to the truck, in 1996 they went to the Vortec version of the engine. That should be 255hp@4600, 330lb-ft @ 2800.

Last edited:
All of the stock Z71's Ive seen had the 10 bolt diff, this is the standard for the 1/2 ton and comes with the 5 lug wheels. Seems the 4X4, not including the Z71 was usually the 14 bolt as evidenced by the 6 lug wheels, can't actually say I've ever seen a standard 4X4 with 5 lug wheels.

Martin

As for the HP of my Z71, it's been close to 10yrs and many miles on the memory, truck might have been a 94, I purchased it used in 2000. Two yrs and 60,000 miles later it became a money pit until I changed out the whole power train. I owned 5 vehicles at the time, this was my work truck for my business.

Last edited:
Lemme check quick...

The z71 I drove had the exact same wheels as on the truck we traded for that was non-Z71.

EDIT: Yup, what I thought. 6-lug wheels, 10-bolt rear end. Standard fare for that era of 1/2t Chevy, Z71 or not.

2WD may have had 5-lug wheels....but I didn't think they made 2wd Z71.

Last edited:
If you look close you can see the wheels on the truck are 5 lug, had to look hard to find the 14bolt with the 5 lug so I could keep my Centerline wheels. According to the specs I can find on the 10 and 14 bolt diff the 10 bolt was standard with the 5 lug and 6 lug with the 14.

The real Chevy truck guys here could most likely take one look at my old truck and tell if it was a 94 or 96. Can post more pics if needed.

Martin

vbpgimage.php

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom