Most Wanted Muscle Car?

MOPAR all the way! My '69 R/T 440+6, '70 Roadrunner 440+6 4 Speed Dana 60 4.10.

I almost killed myself in one of those 440 6-pack, 4 speed Road Runners (or was it a GTX?). I was 17 and had a p/t job as a lot boy at a Chevy dealer. Snuck one those off the used lot and headed over to the 91 fwy. I turned right on to the on-ramp and lined her up and stomped the go pedal in 2nd. That car went 6 kinds of sideways before I reeled it back in. Good thing I was wearing the seatbelt or it might have pitched me out the window. A truer muscle car there never was - all motor, no brakes, no handling, no traction. I had a new deep respect for big blocks from that day on. :D

Wouldn't mind owning any of one these :drool:

My brother owned a '72 AMX 401 CID with the Go Package in all black. I drove it quite a bit and it had a very comfortable cabin and very fast!

1972-AMX-Javelin-1280x800-02.jpg

1969 AMX

1969-AMC-AMX-06.jpg

1968 Superbee

1968-dodge-super-bee-1024x768-01.jpg

1969 Camaro Copo

1969-camaro-copo-1024x768-09.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my there, CB!
Great listing of cars, indeed! I am starting become more fond of the AMC lineup!

The Superbee is truly a dream car.

Clean Carmaro too...

Will have to look in my stash of pics for something else.

Rome

Always thought that the AMX needed a little more design time. Sort of got there but then stopped with too many holdovers from their more plebian car body design.

From back in the day when the automobile design studios were not burdened with stupid laws forcing them to buy cookie cutters. I can not remember a really iconic car design from the 3 US based auto companies that really stand out in the past decade. Well, maybe the Viper and last of the big Lincoln Executive Town cars. Could squeeze in the Chrysler 300, sort of but not really. Camera, Mustang, etc. are atempts to go back and recreate and none really get it as good as the originals. Corvettes are still nice but, do not have the thrill of a '63.

First car I was in that could wheelie was a faded purple built Super Bee.
Then a rod went through the block.
We walked back from Marlboro to Framingham without talking.
Dunno what he did with it after that.
I get MOPAR muscle but like Chevys.

I like the wings on the 1960 but for muscle I'd like a

1963 dual-quad 425-horsepower 409 Impala SS - Black, Red or White -NO AQUA!

This 9 second one's slightly built with 650 HP

sucp_0906_09_z+1963_impala_corvette+wheelie.jpg

I can't tell you how many teens and twenty-somethings have approached my in parking lots....and even at red lights.....wanting to buy my beat-up old (but VERY fast) 1991 Misubishi Turbo Eclipse.
It's a VERY RARE now, 1st generation Mitsubishi Turbo Eclipse with the pop-up headlights.
It was a birthday gift from my son MANY moons ago, who bored-out the engine and installed a manual turbo boost.
You can hear it ah-comin' a mile off......................................
Steve

I had a 12 second black 90 Talon TSI AWD that I drove to Denver, RMNP, Grand Canyon, Key West, DSM Shootout in Norwalk Ohio, etc...
I had to sell it when I had no license out of self defense.
My winter beater is now a black 91 Talon TSI AWD. Same styling cues with no first year issues.

I don't think a 2 liter turbo technically counts as a musclecar but they get 300+ HP with very little $$ and 400+ these days for relatively little more.
Ya gotta love launching at 5K RPMs with barely a chirp.
Low buck rocket ships :thmbsp:

My Dad's first. My mom hated it because when he was on a highway he'd always try and hit 100. He did several times, much to Mom's dismay!

attachment.php

This was my 73 Comet with a 351 Cleveland that I bought used in 1987 for $500.

attachment.php

One night coming through the Lincoln Tunnel at 4am, I went around the last bend only to see a stalled car. I slammed on the brakes, and by the grace of G-d, stopped about three inches from his rear bumper. Before I could get my foot off the brake and thank Him, another bozo came around that same bend at about 40 MPH.

attachment.php

I'm told that if I hadn't just topped off my tank of Premium, I would have been in a fireball.

Attachments

• 64 Galaxie.jpg
    64 Galaxie.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 68
  • comet bvefore.jpg
    comet bvefore.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Comet.jpg
    Comet.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 68
Lots of great cars in this thread -- a good read and a trip down memory lane for any of us who grew up around those cars, but have lived outside the US (where such vehicles are much rarer) since -- thanks! :thmbsp:

That is talking SERIOUS muscle car! :thmbsp: Really almost more of a street-legal racing machine, than most "muscle" cars. I'd vote the same, overall.

In absolute agreement. My Mom's Oldsmobile Super 88 had a high-compression engine in it that would whup the pants off of most of the later "muscle cars," even as it aged, in stock form, pushing a relatively heavy tank of a body around. It had a compression ratio around 14:1,

I just looked it up: the standard 1961 Super 88 was powered by a four-barrel "Ultra High Compression" 394 Skyrocket V8 rated at 325 hp (242 kW).

That "ultra high compression" equals 10:1, 10,25:1 or 10,5:1 in the 3 aviable versions of the 394 Skyrocket engine, high for a 60`s engine but far from 14:1 and not uncommon today or even back in the 70`s or 80`s.
Even my mid 80`s Jap 4 cyl beater sports a 10:1 compression ratio :yes:

The cars I had and dont now.
69 Firebird 400 Ram Air 4 Speed
72 GTO 400 Ram Air 4 Speed
73 El Camino 454 4 Speed
72 Chevelle 454 4 Speed...no it wasnt a SS car
67 GTO 400 4 Speed
70 Challenger R/T 426 Hemi 4 Speed
72 Olds 442 400 4 Speed
76 Olds 442 455 4 Speed
78 Trans Am 400 4 Speed
72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 10 402 4 Speed
55 Chevy 210 post, 427 4 speed took me 3 years to build.
75 Corvette 350 4 Speed, had all the options
81 Corvette Crossfire fuel injection 5 speed
72 Trans Am 455 SD 4 Speed
64 Impala SS was a 409 4 Speed. Motor was locked when I got it. It got a 396 then
72 Vega GT. Someone had dropped a V6 231 Buick in it. 2 hours after I got it, 327 4 Speed
77 El Camino SS. Original 305 car. Went through a few motors. Final was a 454 400 Turbo 12 bolt 3:73 Posi
71 Dodge Demon 340 Six Pack 4 speed

The one I havent had
69 Dodge Charger. General Lee. One day it will happen. I want it to be a 426 Hemi 4 speed.

Back
Top Bottom