MOTOROLA HS 696C HELP NEEDED PLEASE

turnitdown

Well-worn member
Subscriber
I have been posting about cleaning out the garage and finishing project.

Next up Motorola HS-696C, a PP EL84 stereo...and possibly, my keeper.

I just need a schematic. I Googled and search other site...no go.

Anyone have one? i do THANK you in advance.

Schmatics, we don't need no stinkin' schmatics! :D

I don't have one but there are some people around here who might, and some might be found here if you do a search.

Without a schematic, they are easy to recap. You can spot bad or out-of-spec resistors with a simple ohm meter. What do you want to do?

Pics?

Thank you Tom and everyone else. Rainy day in Florida, so another one is off the bench and playing now.MOTOROLA HS-494C FINISHED.jpg

Thank you for the schematic Tom Bavis, I just got one of these. Quick question, the 12AX7 plate only sees around 190v, why are the coupling caps (they look like paper & foil type) rated at 600v? Could I safely use, say, a 300v paper & oil? Thanks again!

voltage at startup will be considerably higher than what it ends up at once the tube is conducting. Generally speaking if the mfg put a 600v cap in there, they had a reason for it.

Here's the complete Sams if anyone needs it. It's in pdf, which can be enlarged to show detail.

I picked up one of these a while back but I've been too busy with DIY to mess with it. The OTs are quite large compared to most console amps and at least one owner has said that it blows away the venerable Magnavox 93xx.

Attachments

• Motorola HS-696.pdf
    741.9 KB · Views: 30
its kind of similar but slightly better than the 9300 really. Floating paraphase inverter instead of a standard, and bigger iron is rarely a bad thing. The balance control is a very conventional setup rather than the goofy setup Magnavox used. Are these 8 ohm?

its kind of similar but slightly better than the 9300 really. Floating paraphase inverter instead of a standard, and bigger iron is rarely a bad thing. The balance control is a very conventional setup rather than the goofy setup Magnavox used. Are these 8 ohm?
Yeah, the Motorola OTs have 6-8 ohm secondaries while the Maggies are 3-4 ohm, according to Sams. Different primaries too, 8k for the Maggie and 5.5k for the Motorola. Although, when I've measured OTs I've found that the Sams specs aren't usually very accurate.

Back
Top Bottom