Movies with odd endings.

I can't believe no one has mentioned a couple Kubrick classics: 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Shining.

Have to side with you on "2001". For me first time around, it made little sense. A bit more understanding came after reading the book, but still little in the way of explanation. Having read Kubrick's own words on his intended take of the way he left the audience the way he did, thinking it best to leave it to the individual's interpretation...my own take went from "odd" to "different" to "OK".

Maybe it's our expectation that the conclusion/denouement has an ending that makes sense, with some problem solved or resolution that we want to happen. However, when presented with an unexpected twist or a final solution that needs our input/interpretation we find it strange... or odd.

Still working on "Arrival" and its ending:idea:.

Q

Last edited:
Final Countdown with Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen. It's a stunner when you find out who is in the limo. OH, can't forget Katherine Ross.

"A New Leaf". Spoiler alert. You have to figure that Walter Matthau's character had evolved and would not allow what was expected to happen. Still an interesting camera shot as titles roll. As I understand it, studio backers ultimately had to pull the project from Elaine May to complete and distribute so that may explain the abrupt ending.

The film is a dark comedy favorite that I find simple, brilliant and funny.

Last edited:
Thought to revive this thread of "odd endings" and maybe include endings that just plain "sucked"...as in a weak or unfinished ending of a movie.

It seems that one of the most important parts of a big screen production is often one that is neglected offering a weak ending.

There seems to be more and more opened ended finishes, wherein if it is successful in ticket sales, a sequel is ready to go.

Having watched Cage in "Cell" I felt the ending just wasn't a fit. But not reading the book it was based on, the text might have gotten away with the way it just petered out.

Was also thinking "Easy Rider", but that one has already been mentioned.

Q

NOT a big fan of the open-ended, we presume a sequel endings.

AT ALL.

NOT a big fan of the open-ended, we presume a sequel endings.

AT ALL.
Just watched "John Wick 3 - Parabellum", and the writers definitely left the door open for a 4th installment of this franchise....the final scene with John and the Bowery King pretty well cemented that possibility....

Vanilla Sky. Not only don't I understand the ending, the whole movie kinda baffles me. I think that's why I like it.

Magnolia is another odd but cool film.

This 60's caper movie called Grand Slam. The movie revolves around an intricate bank robbery and the ending comes out of nowhere.
I won't spoil it but its a wonderful movie.

Whoever adapted "The Expanse" for a tv series did a GREAT job of resolving the storylines at the end of each season.

Each season could be the last without any "left hanging" situations, yet the door is wide open for continuation.

Currently waiting on the next season while the writers scramble to write out a main character that got canned for off-screen drama.

Back
Top Bottom