Moving 1200 miles

LuckyLyndy

I am planning on using a YOU Haul 26" (any rental carrier is fine) to move my personal belongings this fall.
I have no appliances, or furniture, so my two big items are bicycles and stereo gear. Could you guys point to me a thread on packing lower level turntables? I get removing my head cartridge, counterweight, securing the arm, and removing the cover, but don't need all that double boxing, etc. On another track, I have a diy Krell KSA=50 that is so odd shaped, and so heavy, I don't know how to box that sucker securely. Not worried about the heat sinks, and trannies, but those boards are just so exposed. I don't know how to post photos, not having done it in years, so I put some shots in my flickr account. Let me know if you can see the KSA clone, or all of my photos (ugh).
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8219117@N08/28365950883/in/dateposted-public/

Thanks, gladiator335, but if you saw how exposed and delicate those boards are on the top side of the Krell Klone...tough, when the unit is SO heavy from the torroid transformers. That is a good article on the turntables, thanks for the link. Just got a quote from a guy with a truck/trailer. $3000 to haul my stuff and an empty shell of a 1962 Airstream Bambi. Sounds like a thousand more than it would cost me to rent a truck and tow the trailer myself. I don't know how to compare prices.

This guy is charging $3000 just to haul. He would do none of the packing, save for putting the little Airstream Bambi in the end and securing it. You have also made me aware of all my speakers. My pride and joy are going to be hard. Two towers, two way with exposed Scan Speak drivers, no covers. Extended plexiglass base.
Heavy.

The audiophile hobby is not a very good traveler. My audio stuff was locked in a storage unit near Chi. for 7 months when we moved from the Chi. area to New Mexico. I couldn't stand it. All I had to listen to was a crappy TV with cable garbage. It took us time but eventually we got all our stuff loaded in a big yellow truck and I drove it here with my wife driving our SUV full of stuff. No nicer feel that hooking up your stuff the first time in your new house and listening to glorious sound. Happily everything survived the move without incident. I guess planning for the worst but getting the best surprised me. Only one end table top was scratched badly. Stereo gear, LP's, and connection cables were fine. I bought big plastic containers and taped the tops with duct tape for stereo stuff.

Alright, I made the move, and now all my stereo gear is in storage. My mother passed away last October, and I have been storing all my stereo and bike gear. Trying to clear out all the 97 years of 'stuff' of my mother. Do NOT want to live in this 120 year old Victorian house. Any suggestions on a more modern house with two large rooms to accommodate a home theater room and a audio only room? I would also like a two car garage for one car and a lot of bicycles. I have looked around my home town, but because of the high water table, most modern homes do not have a full basement. This would be a home for one person. I've worked with a realtor, but have only found another old home (1920's) that kind of fits, with a detached garage. But it needs a completely new HVAC set up. Ideas?

Back
Top Bottom