Moving up to 1980 .... and excited

Mozitgoes

Good afternoon All,
My current music is played thru some CV's XLS-215 from my Kennwood KR-V8010 receiver and thou it sounds pretty decent, I decided to invest in a SX-1980.

It should be here Monday and can't wait for it to arrive.

Thought I would share my excitement :banana:

Congratulations on your purchase, you're going to love it, I've had my SX 1980 for several years, what a work horse. If you have friendly Neighbors that will end shortly. When you get it all hooked up give us all a review on your new gear

Congratulations!
Welcome to the SX-1980 club!
Just make sure all is 'tickety boo' inside your unit before cranking it up!
Have it checked over by a competent audio engineer as when one thing goes wrong it follows around this unit in a concertina effect.
Once all is well..... Install some triple glazing..... You'll need it!!!
ENJOY!

I wasn't impressed, AT FIRST but it really grew on me. I've sold my pride and joy because I would always have someone else's to use.
Not for the last few months and I'm going cold 1980 turkey. BAD!
As soon as the receiver arrived I would tackle it so I could have it to listen too while my parts order is coming. Trade secret.:D

I do have friendly neighbors but I live in a quiet neighborhood so I will be respectful ... But when I see the neighbors are away I will let the CV's and 1980 do their thing with a little authority :biggrin:

All, I'm super stoked for sure. I've researched a bit on the web as well as read many of the informative info on this awesome site about getting and keeping your "good stuff" healthy....it sure does get my head spinning. I'm a machinist by trade and now in sales consulting of cutting tools but I'm in no way a audio tech. Or even willing to open up and dig into my new to me SX-1980. I want to leave it to the experts (which I'm hoping I can find) to do the unit justice.

I know that the unit being almost 40-years old, should be gone thru (and will be) if I can find the right people/person.
Even thou the unit is in "good" condition, there are a couple of issues disclosed when I purchased the receiver. Anticipating it's arrival I have done some leg work looking into whom I would trust/confide in taking it to for the issues and doing a once over (and I would even consider a restoration) of the unit.

From my investigating...I reached out to Pacific Stereo as they seem to be righteous with these vintage units but there is a huge waiting time for them to do what they do...which I understand they only restore and with integrity. They must be a desirable source to have what you need done..the wait time is WOW.

I would prefer to find someone that I could drive the 1980 to and hand off as opposed to having it shipped. The thought of shipping out just scares me but I don't know if I have a choice. I live in north central Wisconsin and would definitely drive it to anywhere in WI, northern IL, or eastern MN.
After driving to a couple of places and personally talking to numerous places within a hundred miles or some from home (and calling numerous possible sources) I came up with (2) that I feel I would be comfortable with handing off this new pride and joy of mine:
Team Electronics - Manitowoc WI
Alex Audio - New Hope MN

Does anyone know if the two I mentioned are good options/sources?

I feel like this anticipating the arrival of the 1980 :jump:
I feel like this trying to figure out what source will do it justice :eek:

Last edited:
Even thou it has a few issues (wont know until I receive the unit and confirm) I will not be parting with it ever... and i'm willing to invest correctly to make it enjoyable for the rest of my days .

Meter light, easy. You can do that.
Phono board rebuild a must if you like vinyl. Not a bad job. An hour labor. Moderate skill level.
Repasting the outputs? labor intensive. If not sure of, or been through the process, an easy way to cause more problems.
The power supply should be looked at and mod'ed up to AK standards for reliability. A job for an experienced tech. When it fails, it takes out the whole board but modifying the board requires rebuilding the whole board. :dunno:

Back too, who can you trust to service a 1980. sounds like zeb knows what to do.
I say to stock up on some lamps and deoxit/fader lube to start with. Once you have your parts/supplies then you can decide who will do the work. It really is not a job for a first time stereo repair unless you read many of these threads, understand something about electronics, are somewhat skilled. Treat it like your new car, shine it up.

Good evening all.
The receiver arrived today and I have it getting to room temp for a couple hours before i plug it in and connect the speaker wires, as it very cold here around 0 deg in north central WI (been outside from I would predict for 6hrs).

I'm so excited and thought I would share that it looks like it was built in Nov 1977'.
Serial # starts with XK.

This is going to be hard, but leave it overnight, 24 hours is better - packed or enclosed in plastic in a low humidity area - CONDENSATION!!!!

Might even throw in a few" dehumidifier bags" or moisture absorbent. Once it's at room temperature it won't matter.

Otherwise, considering the temperature differentials, it'll "make a lot of water".

Thank You for your Feed Back Mark!
My house is rather dry upstairs as my home is a bi-level.

Since its already un-packed, I'll leave it upstairs over night and plug it in tomorrow night when I get home from work.

Again...thank you.

Good afternoon All,
My current music is played thru some CV's XLS-215 from my Kennwood KR-V8010 receiver and thou it sounds pretty decent, I decided to invest in a SX-1980.

It should be here Monday and can't wait for it to arrive.

Thought I would share my excitement :banana:
Congratulations on the 1980.
Where did you find it ?
There haven't been any on ebay recently.
Back stories are always interesting.

Well, I finally was able to hook the 1980 up to my CV's and WOW what a very noticeable difference in sound, bass, and power....performance definitely above my expectations.
Both beast have spoken tonight (for a lil time anyways) as they wanted to eat more but I will be respectful of my neighbors ..... tonight anyways :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom