Moving up

Larry

I have a number of great ss receivers, but now I'm ready to experience the Mcintosh sound. But, I need help in picking out components. My parameters are as follows:

Small room = 13x13

Will drive either JBL 100's, Vandersteen 1c's, or DCM Time Windows 1.

Would like to keep the cost to under $1,000.

Appreciate in advance the advice.
Larry

Buying a MX tuner/pre and an amp is a great cost effective way to go. This will certainly come in under a grand. You can use it
for either section if and when you upgrade also. You could buy grumpy's real nice MA6100 integrated and a tuner and come out less than a grand also.

Carl

PS, Takes up less space than separates as well. :)

Last edited:
Larry you don't want those icky Vandys clogging up your listening space. Please contact me and I'll gladly rid you of them.

;) :eek: :p:

Mike

McIntosh Hey

Larry - Grumpys Mac is the MA 6200. He has priced it at 100-200 dollars below e-bay. I really believe this unit is a deal. My advise look into it lots of room left for a matching tuner.

You could always look at the 1900 receivers. I think they are an awesome value and they have superb tuners to boot.

PS

My Mc is sold.

Grumpy

Just for yuks, I went to the "Vandy" page to look the speakers up
to check the power needed to drive them. I haven't seen before
a dual impendence spec as this. Can anyone explain it to the idiot? :withstpd:
IMPEDANCE:
6.8 ohms 2 ohms
Why 2 (plural) ohm specs?
http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/1clit.html
A 1900 would be another inexpensive way too. It too can have each section run independent for upgrading although the tuner does sound great and is a DXing son of a gun and really would not be cheap to upgrade. They do make for a great "MX".

Carl

Carl perhaps the 6.8 ohms is the nominal rating while the 2.0 ohms is the highest ohm rating. I'm just guessing but IMHO more speaker makers should list the specs like this. The nominal number don't mean squat most of the time.

You could call Vandy, they have great customer service.

Mike

Is the 1900 far superior to the 1700? If i were to go separates, what makes sense in my price range?
Larry

IMO the 1900 is better sounding then the 1700.

Larry:

Things I know:

I have a 1900 and the tuner section is very good. Also the preamp section of the 1900 can be separated from the amp.

I don't think that can be done with the 1700.

A friend of mine has used a 1900 for years and his newer BPC stuff still can't touch it.

Use the 1900 for a while, then maybe get a 2100 or a 2105 or a 2120 or a 2125. As Carl said use the 1900 as an MX unit.

or

Get a 1900 and then get a MA 6200, and use the 1900 for the tuner section. I used that for a while and I quite liked it.

My brother uses a MX 113 and a 2125, and is very pleased.

atuque

I just dug out and powered up my 1900. It sure is a nice looking one and every last thing works right. It's amazing how little they go for. bigmacc sure did get a deal! I'm getting all the local stations with a strand of wire, not even a dipole. Think I'll
bring it inside and use it for a while in the bedroom setup. :)

Carl

Back
Top Bottom