MP3 now officially dead

I personally found MP3 lifeless years ago when I listened to my daughters iPod. But then young people form sentimental attachments and so it will always be around. MP3 has replaced cassette as the bottom of the barrel.

I personally found MP3 lifeless years ago when I listened to my daughters iPod. But then young people form sentimental attachments and so it will always be around. MP3 has replaced cassette as the bottom of the barrel.

Nice troll.

Just an automatic obsessive observation.....just like everything else. To troll you have to have it planned that way...

No sweat. I shouldn't have called you a troll.

But on second thought, what you said could be applicable to vinyl - forming sentimental attachments. Just an observation, and definitely not a troll.

Last edited:
No sweat. I shouldn't have called you a troll.

But on second thought, what you said could be applicable to vinyl - forming sentimental attachments. Just an observation, and definitely not a troll.

No sentimental attachment..... I'm a sound junkie, dont really care about the medium ! I would do digital if I had the patience, but I couldn't handle just an average sound. I know people into digital and FM from my receiver sounds better, of course I've got a great tuner and live in an area with FM stations galore. Anything sounds great done right even cassettes, it's just getting there in the first place.

Enjoy....

mp3 is NOT dead. That article has it wrong.

https://marco.org/2017/05/15/mp3-isnt-dead

The patents have expired and the company that owns the patents is not going through licensing any more and they can't, since there is no patent. That means MORE not less mp3's can be produced/used. It is public now.

Exactly. This is why I'm ripping my CD library to 320 kb/s mp3. It's practically universal and it sounds practically indistinguishable from the source, to my 60-yr-old ears, at least. And fwiw, my CD's aren't going anywhere. They are still my carrier of choice.

quote from the article

"It may be for the best. Last year, research conducted by the Audio Engineering Library found that MP3s and other low-quality compression formats essentially drain your music of emotion. The results showed that MP3 compression strengthened neutral and negative emotional characteristics (things like Shy, Scary, Sad) and weakened positive emotional ones (like Happy, Romantic, Calm)."

What a crock of shit. I've been happily listening to music in MP3 format since around 2000.

FLAC is smaller than 320 and is basically equal to the CD soundwise.

I'm pretty sure FLAC is definitely larger in file size than 320kbps mp3. Might wanna double check on that.

I would recommend using FLAC though. It takes any question out of whether or not it is top quality. Disk space is cheap these days.

Back
Top Bottom