MR 71 Meter-Multipath Indicator Problem (Repost)

David Lawrence

MR 71 Meter-Multipath Indicator Problem

My Mcintosh MR71 which was serviced a few years ago by Modafferi, has a peculiar problem. It sounds fine. However, the signal strength meter has started to quickly dart between a strong signal strength and zero--at the same time the multipath indicator quickly changes between narrow and wide. However, this does not seem to be a reception problem per se, as the stereo indicator stays lit and the sound remains the same.

A technician pointed out to me that the signal strength meter and multipath indicator are in the same circuit. He thought the meter might need to be disassembled. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. Does anyone have any other suggestion about the cause of the problem and whether it could be fixed easily?

Thanks,
David Lawrence

Last edited:
Don't touch the actual meter movement. These are incredibly delicate and can be damaged easily. I read somewhere that a watch or jewelry expert could tackle them, but don't quote me on it.

The meters McIntosh used were made in Japan. I am figuring an old Lafayette or Pioneer unit might serve as a donor if need arises. Fisher also used Japanese meters in their 500C, and possibly other models as well.

David Lawrence said:
My Mcintosh MR71 which was serviced a few years ago by Modafferi, has a peculiar problem. It sounds fine. However, the signal strength meter has started to quickly dart between a strong signal strength and zero--at the same time the multipath indicator quickly changes between narrow and wide. However, this does not seem to be a reception problem per se, as the stereo indicator stays lit and the sound remains the same.

A technician pointed out to me that the signal strength meter and multipath indicator are in the same circuit. He thought the meter might need to be disassembled. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. Does anyone have any other suggestion about the cause of the problem and whether it could be fixed easily?

Thanks,
David Lawrence

i'd be surprised if it were the meter at all - i'd wager a capacitor in the circuit, or something along those lines, is failing...

doug s.

Back
Top Bottom