Mr- 78 tuner bezel

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by greymatter, Nov 13, 2017.

1. greymatter

greymatter AK Subscriber Subscriber

The plastic bezel on the face of my 78 has come off . Just curious of what I should use to reattach it to the glass . Adhesive or a expoxy or glue ? What do the pros use ?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

Is Aileen's tacky glue appropriate for this? Otherwise some sort of contact cement?

greymatter likes this.
  3. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Double sided tape is what McIntosh used.

greymatter and Pio1980 like this.
  4. greymatter

Thx for the reply gang , tried the 2 sided tape with not much success

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  5. MACKIE1975

MACKIE1975 Well-Known Member

There are many type of double sided tape. 3M is the best especially the industrial grade.

greymatter likes this.
  6. MACKIE1975

MACKIE1975 Well-Known Member

You can also look for the 3M automotive type

greymatter likes this.

7. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Why not run it sans bezel? Much cleaner ...

You'll have to clean the glass perfectly with alcohol in order to get the tape to stick.

greymatter likes this.
  8. greymatter

Thx just finished cleaning all my gear with 99% isopropyiene. What a difference on the components .

9. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

Careful on silkscreened surfaces with that! I do it too, but be aware that can lift lettering on dial glasses etc. Now if it's screened on the backside like most are cleaning the front with isopropanol is perfectly fine.

greymatter likes this.
  10. jlovda

jlovda Things I loved from the 60's and 70's Subscriber

Spray or dampen the rag, NOT the glass. It was earlier mentioned that excess cleaner flowing down under the lower metal strip is what causes the paint lifting along the bottom.

greymatter likes this.
  11. AbSoundLabsMN

AbSoundLabsMN Absolute Sound Labs Subscriber

McIntosh uses a thin, double sided tape, similar to the tape made by 3M for the automotive industry. In order for the tape to adhere properly, you must carefully remove the old tape from the back of the bezel. This can be accomplished using the plastic razor blades sold at most home improvement stores. Some folks have stated they use an Xacto knife. I don't recommend this as it can cut into the plastic bezel. Of course one should refrain from using any label adhesive remover since many of them contain acetone which melts the plastic. Mark - McIntosh Service Center.

Pio1980, 62caddy and greymatter like this.

12. jlovda

jlovda Things I loved from the 60's and 70's Subscriber

I have used Goo-Gone for projects like this and it works great. You will need multiple applications since the first few will just slowly soften the old tape and glue. You will get to the point where you can use a tiny screwdriver to just scrape the glue off. You will risk gouging with a knife blade. I was able to reuse the blue plastic filters from a broken front glass on my MC300. They were originally held on with double sided 3M tape. I just soaked an old Tee-shirt with Goo-Gone and slowly rubbed the old glue completely off without any scratches. It has a very slight oily feel but it evaporates dry. Goo-Gone is a citrus liquid with a very light mineral oil.

I replaced my MR78 bezel using the thinnest 3m tape I could find; less than 1 mm. The back side of the bezel has two edges with a trough in the middle. I wanted the tape to sit in the trough and be just thick enough to come out above the top so the bezel doesn't look separated from the glass. Also, you do not need to put the tape completely around the bezel.

greymatter likes this.
  13. AbSoundLabsMN

AbSoundLabsMN Absolute Sound Labs Subscriber

I did forget to mention Goo-Gone. It will also work, but takes longer to work then some other methods. Mark - McIntosh Service Center.

greymatter likes this.