Mr. Carlson's Super Probe

ChrisMarantz

I'm sure some of you follow Mr. Carlson's Lab on YouTube. He posted a Video recently that showed a modern version of an old school Audio - Visual Signal Tracer.

This seemed like a good project to help teach my nephew with not only basic troubleshooting but it's a good chance to have him do a SMD project.

Not wanting to hassle with making a homemade circuit board (what is it 1982?) we found someone who had already laid out the 2 boards and had all of the files ready to be uploaded to a prototype PCB manufacturer .

We uploaded the files last Sunday and yesterday the package was delivered by DHL - That's 5 days delivered from China!! - Fantastic!

The smallest quantity for each board (there are 2 boards in the project) were 7. The total cost including shipping was $7.00

carlson pcb.jpg
We already 2 old Heathkit probe bodies for the project (we will each be building our own units) Tomorrow we will be working on the BOM and ordering components from Mouser

Stay Tuned for more - Chris

its amazing how cheap you can have nice quality boards made for these days. I have some things I'd like to have new boards for, and one of these days I may give in and learn to do the layout myself.

Chris Marantz. The PCB's was it from Fastprint from china? Have to look up that video on you tube.

Was wondering source of PCB's. The company I work for orders from Fastprint all the time.

Hey Chris, where should I look for those board layouts? I've tried google but I may be using the wrong syntax.

Thanks

Project update:

My nephew is in charge of creating the BOM for the 2 boards - We have receive his first order from Mouser and about one-half of what he choose is wrong (mainly wrong size components and items left off the order). This is not entirely his fault - some of the information on the Instructables web site is incorrect . . .

He is learning that choosing components is not as simple as he thought it would be. I think he's learning a lot and trying to keep all of the information organized

As for those who a have asked about buying our extra boards - I don't think it's right to charge for someone else's design. When my nephew has the BOM completed and we know it's right, I will send out the boards at -No Charge- along with the BOM

Chris

I just ordered the PCBs from JLCPCB as well. I think I'm getting 10 of each, so I'll have some extras for folks as well. I'm hoping to build it in a week or so.
Hi, thank you for telling everyone.

I am retired and have no electronics experience. I was a guitar player back in the late 60's and early 70's. I want to build some vintage guitar tube amps for my kids and their kids. I have extra probe cables with probes on them and would donate one to anyone who would build one of the Super Probes and sell it to me. So I would send them two probes one for my build and one for theirs free.

If anyone can build me a Carlson Super Probe please contact me - finom1@gmail.com.

Thank you.

Chris or Barrsurf.. I am looking for couple of boards too. Let me know if you have any to spare.

Back
Top Bottom