MR71: Mixer Coil L3 needed.

c_dk...
The slug is glued to the inner portion of the cardboard/wax tube which has the thread on it.
The inner layer of the cardboard /wax tube,which has the thread on it, is loose from the outer portion of the cardboard/wax tube.
The inner layer of the cardboard/wax tube turns inside of the outer layer of the cardboard/wax tube.
The slug has a crack.
We don't know the extent of the crack because we have not pulled it out, so far.

This is repairable.
The slug, if not shattered, maybe be repaired with alpha C adhesive. If not, any frequency appropriate slug that can tune the coil from anything will be do.

Sounds like someone went in there with a metal allen wrench. I have not had to repair a slug but have had to reinforce a wax tube that would no longer grip the slug.

Thank you for the input.
Our preferred alternative would be to replace the L3 with a genuine L3, or the slug with a genuine L3 slug.

You don't indicate why you need the coil. How was it damaged or identified as a problem. Mark - McIntosh Service Center.

We want to replace the damaged L3 with a good one.
The current L3 is damaged.
The slug is glued to the inner portion of the cardboard/wax tube which has the thread on it.
The inner layer of the cardboard /wax tube,which has the thread on it, is loose from the outer portion of the cardboard/wax tube.
The inner layer of the cardboard/wax tube turns inside of the outer layer of the cardboard/wax tube.
The slug has a crack.
We don't know the extent of the crack because we have not pulled it out, so far.

Can you help?

I think this could be a generic off the shelf item for it's vintage, meaning it could have been used in multiple models, including other than McIntosh.

I have an old mr65b that is partially stripped, but these types of elements are still there. If you want to message me the mcintosh part number of what you are looking for i can check if it is on my mr65b.

I know the mr65b is great. It is missing the faceplates, meters, knobs, and the multiplex section. I bought it cheap because i need the fm discriminator for my mx110z (the mx is missing the discriminator) and the mr has 2 of them. I feel bad not restoring it, but it was hacked when i got it.

I posted the ref for the OPs info, specific McIntosh part donors may be scarce, but useful.
Thnx for offering yours.

The slug has a crack.

Can you help?

Yes , when it is possible
Can you take it off the unit and make a closer picture as possible ?
Do you have any dimension (lengh) of the "cracked" slug ?

The slug has a crack.

That sounds like the coil may have been damaged. Regarding the slug, you may be able to loosen the slug by using some medium heat on the coil. Keep the heat cool enough to not burn the balance of the transformer. Since the Factory Parts Department may not stock a replacement one would have to have a parts unit to salvage the coil from. It should be noted that the positioning of the other wires within the Front end is critical you would need to be extremely careful not to change the position of any of the other parts within the unit.

Can you help?

Its probable someone tried forcing the slug with a metal tool, then tried to bond it back together in the form sleeve with appha C adheisive and made a bad situation worse.
Acetone may or may not help with recovery of the bits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom