Mr74 stereo bulb blows...

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by macman007, Jun 9, 2005.

1. dewickt

dewickt Will fix about Anything

Watch out for the tuners that use the 37V bulb for the stereo lamp, not all of them do, if the demultiplex has a 270 ohm 1 watt resistor it will use a #1828 37V lamp, if there is a jumper in place of the resistor it will use a #1835 55V lamp, check first before replacing the lamp...MR73, MR74, MX113 etc...
    MR73 that has no AM probably has a bad FET (dual gate MOS) Q5, located in a socket next to the tining capacitor, I use a 3SK45 as a replacement.

2. dj_AmTraX

dj_AmTraX Super Member

It has a #1828 bulb, but it doesn't work. I don't know if that is the oringinal bulb. I have a multimeter, but don't know where to probe. Can someone please post some pictures of where the demultiples or the resister is located?

3. EastPoint

EastPoint AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hi folks. I put the wrong bulb in the stereo indicator on my MR-77 and now it won't light, just like the OP. I'm assuming I blew the transistor as well. Is the board at the back left the MPX board? The two transistors with orange dots on them are marked BC 238--are those the ones I should replace? Here's a pic.

IMG_7569.JPG

4. dewickt

dewickt Will fix about Anything

The transistor with the small aluminum heat sink is the lamp driver, try the correct bulb as the driver is fairly robust and may not be blown.

5. EastPoint

EastPoint AK Subscriber Subscriber

I tried the correct bulb and it definitely won't light. The bulb is good--I tested it with a battery and it lit dimly.

What I actually tested in the circuit was a drop-in LED replacement for a 47 bulb, which flickered briefly but wouldn't stay lit.