MR75 Added to the Collection!

Sitting here enjoying some KBAQ on my MR75. IMHO, the MR75 is an overlooked gem of the Mc tuner line. [Which makes me wonder just how good the MR7082 and MR7083 are . . . ]

A brief update:

The Sansui TU-217 which was in the shop was displaced by the Kenwood KT-8300. Originally, we were having difficulty receiving a few of the stations with it that we listen to daily. I had thought it was just getting long in the tooth and it's never been serviced as far as I know (I found it at the dump several years ago). Really, it was just the antenna. So, this is what we're using now for an antenna in the shop and it's pretty unbelievable - https://www.amazon.com/Stellar-Labs...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HCR24TVK6P4K27KQ3GPH

The MR75 is back in the office system. My struggles with reception in the office system dictated a veritable musical chairs of tuners over the years. Really, it came down to the ST2 just not delivering the goods in this setting. On a lark, I had this antenna chilling in the parts room - https://www.rcaantennas.net/indoor-hd-antenna/?sku=ANT1560E - and I swapped it for the ST2. Wallah. Absolutely night and day reception. Crazy. The ST2 is just not the antenna for me. I'm sure someone else will enjoy it because it's going up for sale soon.

The Sansui TU-9900 is in the family room. It really cares not what you've got plugged into it for an antenna. It receives every single station we have on the dial here with nothing more than a simple dipole tacked to the rear of the cabinet. The TU-9900 is without question the most sensitive, best performing FM tuner I've ever owned. I bet it would best all the other tuners I have in regard with a coat hanger. The MR75 seems a tad smoother though. The KT-8300 is more of an all business tuner which is somwhere between the Sansui and MR75 for ease of listening.

After living with these four tuners for several years now, the MR75 is indeed the smoothest sounding of the bunch. It's feature set leaves a lot to desire, especially when compared to the TU-9900. Obviously, this is why the MR78 is so incredibly popular. PunkerX has been after me to send him my TU-9900 so that he can perform his magic - we'll see what the future holds for that.

All of this antenna stuff makes me wonder just how much better it gets with a Yagi, a rotator, or both. The die-hards with an MR78, an MPI4, and a rotator - I now totally get it.

For those of you who do not own an FM tuner because you believe the only thing it can bring to your system is compressed pop music, you should re-think that entirely. Most large metro areas have at least a classical, jazz, and college station. Each will really broaden your musical horizons and they're typically minimally compressed because sound quality is important to them and most have few if any commercials. FM via a serviced and aligned tuner with the correct antenna setup can be as high fidelity as any other source.

Thanks for the post! I have an MR-67 that is wonderful sounding, that I have attached to a BIC Beam Box. I have always wondered how much better the reception would be or the number of stations I could pick up with it if I had an outdoor antenna, but I have not been in a position to put up something large externally. May be one day, or if there was something that was easy to put up.

This thread was pretty involved by the time I saw it. So, the MR75 is a good tuner. Does it operate in conjunction as well in the MX-117 form? I think it is the same tuner? Asking since I do have an MX-117. Maybe I won't HAVE to have an MR75. :)))))

This thread was pretty involved by the time I saw it. So, the MR75 is a good tuner. Does it operate in conjunction as well in the MX-117 form? I think it is the same tuner? Asking since I do have an MX-117. Maybe I won't HAVE to have an MR75. :)))))
The tuner in the MX117 is based on the MR75. Although I've never a/b'd them, all of the MX117s I had were equally nice sounding.

Thanks for this thread, just sent the email for one slightly less than 1/2 a Cleveland with a wood case. I can only find 2 video on youtube, seems this is an overlooked tuner, as are my c15 and mc122 but fingers crossed will go well. Might finally find a tuner to unseat my HH Scott.

Not to disparage but I was a little disappointed with the L/R auto blend feature for reducing noise on weak stations. SNR circuitry ("Schotz Noise Reduction) on my old Proton D940 receiver does a far better job.

Back
Top Bottom