MR85 - Question for Ron C

JSCC

Greetings Ron,

Need your advise how to correct this perculiar problem I have with my MR85 tuner. Found out this perculiarity as I played with the channels before packing it for trade off for my upgrade. Dont want the buyer to think I am passing him a faulty piece. Did not find out this issue as I have NOT touch it since day one when its placed on the rack and the stations tuned/set by the dealer (and its all ODD number frequencies).

Seems like the tuner would not capture any EVEN numerals frequencies after the " . ". Please allow me to explain, for stations like 90.5 FM, 93.3 FM, etc, .... these stations can be tuned in. But when I tried tuning into stations like 92.4 FM, 95.0 FM, etc, .... unable to. Upon closer look, seems like every jump is to a odd number, like 95.1, then 95.3, 95.7, etc, ..... and the even numbers/channels seemed missing. Is there something wrong with the tuning and can this be corrected?

Everything else works as it should be, no problem.

Your early advise would be of help.

Thanks.

Hi jim777,

In Singapore, we do have FM stations in ODD as well as EVEN frequencies. The shtrange thing is I am unable to tune into EVEN frequencies, ... as described.

Hope Ron can shed a light as dont want new owner to think I had passed him a faulty tuner.

Thanks,

I would say you have a USA/Canada MR85 and this is normal. Look at page 12 of the owners manual and you will see that the USA market MR85s change in 200 kHz steps on FM and Europe market MR85s change in 50Mhz steps. It may be possible to modify your unit to change this, but I would not know. That is a question for Ron or McIntosh.

Victor

Jerry Seh said:
Hi jim777,

In Singapore, we do have FM stations in ODD as well as EVEN frequencies. The shtrange thing is I am unable to tune into EVEN frequencies, ... as described.

Hope Ron can shed a light as dont want new owner to think I had passed him a faulty tuner.

Thanks,
I thought that was why you were asking.. there should be an easy way to change that setting though I imagine.... Ron??? ;)

Jerry,

You need to set the MR85 to Europe not USA. To do this you will need to engage set up. To do this hold the seek up and down buttons in for about 3 seconds or until the display says 'Set Up'. Rotate the left Preset knob until the display reads Europe. Press the enter key once.
Rotate the preset knob until 'Exit' is on the display. Hit the enter key and the tuner will be out of the Set Up mode and ready to operate in the fine tune steps.

thanks,
Ron-C

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the prompt feedback/advise. Do I need to disconnect the tuner from the preamp?

I could not do the reset per your instructions (hold BOTH seek buttons down till I see "set up") but nothing seems to happen. In fact, the only thing I did see was that the frequencies search begins, ..... either way. Sorry, seems like a bad joke.

What I managed to do was to clear off all the preset stations. I tried reading the manual BUT nowhere did it say anything about the Europe/USA switch per advise.

Did I do it wrongly? If I did, what should be the correct procedure. Am sorry to trouble you.

Sure hope I dont get any problem for the upgrade to the MCD1000/MDA1000+MC501 combo when I try to set the MDA up for variable volume. As a matter of curiosity, is there any way the MDA can drive two sets of power amps, say in future, would like to add another set of MC501 when I move on rom the WP7?

Again, I look forward to your advise, on first the MR85, then the bi-amp issue.

Thanks and best regards,

Jerry

Jerry,

With the MR85 turned on hold BOTH the SEEK, UP and DOWN buttons until the words SET UP appear in the display. This means you hold both buttons down for as long as it takes to enter setup. Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Hi Ron,

I tried per your advise, holding BOTH the seek buttons down for like 15 minutes and nothing happened. No "set up" appeared.

Anything else I can do? Thanks for the time and help.

Best Regards,

Jerry

On MR85: Press and hold in the SPATIAL and MONO Push-buttons until the Front Panel Alphanumeric Display indicates “SETUP V_.__ _. The character on the far right side of the Firmware Version Number display indicates which country the Tuner is setup for proper operation.
SETUP _._U us
SETUP _._ J japan
SETUP _._E europe

Rotate the PRESET Control until the Front Panel Alphanumeric Display indicates COUNTRY CODE
Press the ENTER Push-button repeatedly until the correct Country Group appears.
Rotate the PRESET Control until the Front Panel Alphanumeric Display indicates EXIT.
Press the ENTER Push-button to save the changes.

It's done

Back
Top Bottom