Mr88.....done? Replacement?

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by JWJW, Jan 23, 2017.

1. JWJW

JWJW Bun E. Carlos

mr88 off the Mc site... what up?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

I saw that as well.

3. chuckworkb

chuckworkb AK Subscriber Subscriber

It's sad but I think tuners are slowly becoming a thing of the past.

4. Lesterbest

Lesterbest Super Member

They mkt their own T/Ts, cables, & now no tuners. This is a sacrilege.

5. chuckworkb

chuckworkb AK Subscriber Subscriber

Believe me, I love my tuner, but how many are still being made? FM radio isn't what it used to be. I listen mostly to a few public radio stations and the local university stations these days.

6. ron-c

ron-c AK Subscriber Subscriber

MR87 is the current Mc Tuner. MR88 is a great tuner but key parts supply was exhausted.MR88 was for the N. American MARKET only due to the HD radio feature. MR87 is a world wide model and will work will all territories FM systems.

Thanks,
    Ron-C

7. dshoaf

dshoaf That high voltage buzz

Ok, I can buy that explanation, Ron. The place where I work also deals with key, unique parts obsolescence all the time. It is costly to have to redesign boards and find alternatives. It takes up engineering time that could otherwise go to producing new products, too.

Cheers,

David

8. feinstei

feinstei AK Member Subscriber

I have owned two Marantz 10B's and a Sequerra Model One through the years. IMHO, the MR88 beats them all in terms of reception capability and sound quality (on a good analogue FM station such as WFMT from Chicago or WAUS-FM in Berrien Springs, MI). The MR-88 is a fabulous tuner and I have never regretted my purchase of it. The HD capability is a wonderful bonus, but the analogue is unbeatable!....

9. charne@sprin

charne@sprin Member

The HD chip set provider stopped producing for home gear, from what I heard. The MR88 and the TU2 module found in some of the earlier MAC6700 receivers are the choices if one wants HD radio. I would not buy a tuner now without HD. FM radio has for the most part been iHearted into extinction. Public stations are all that's left; and their HD channels are where the best programming choices can be found

10. exhippy

exhippy I use to have long hair. Now I'm lucky to have any Subscriber

Love my MR88. I found it at a estate sale for less than 2 grand a few years ago. Older gentlemen passed away with a rather large McIntosh collection. It was the last piece to go. I wanted it only for it's HD capabilities. Fingers crossed, nothing breaks-down pertaining to the HD section.

11. feinstei

I found mine on the US Audio Mart website for $1000.00 from someone in Detroit. He said that his dealer sold it to him at that price when the tuner was first issued. I don't know how that's possible, but it was certainly a bargain for me. As I said, it's the best high-end tuner that I've ever had.

charne@sprin likes this.

12. exhippy

Yeah, that was a great deal. Mine was $1700. When they were new I called a salesmen at my local Mac dealer that had sold me my MC302 amp earlier and quoted me $3500. I believe new MSRP was $4,000. I expected a better deal sense I was a past customer and complained, but it didn't help. I passed and waited for a used one.
    I'm very impressed with the MR88, with only a dipole (wire) antenna it does a great job of picking-up radio stations. Mostly HD stations run by Universities that don't have a lot of 'wattage'

13. ron-c

ron-c AK Subscriber Subscriber

Not to worry as service on the AM/FM/HD section does not happen.
    Ron-C

exhippy likes this.
  14. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

i envy anyone who has radio stations good enough to want a tuner. My CR-2020 has an amazing tuner. It brings in all the shit that's on the air with crystal-clarity. If only I enjoyed listening to dreck.

15. feinstei

I've never had a moment of problems with mine other than if you turn the tuning knob upward very quickly, you may see some narrow artifact bars on the tuning display. May I assume ron-c that the RF section is based on the famous and highly desirable Sony XDR-F1HD chipset?

16. feinstei

Yes.... radio is a dying breed. Luckily, I have 3 classical (WFMT Chicago, WMUK Kalamazoo, and WAUS Berrien Springs) and one rock (WXRT Chicago) in range. Some "non-profit Christian" station just bought the really great rock station WLUP in Chicago. I now have 8 of these "non-profit" stations, all with the same programming in my reception range. The FM dial is littered with this kind of trash. And you wonder why McIntosh doesn't produce preamplifiers that allow for the insertion of radio modules (like the TM-2) anymore.

17. feinstei

Just for your information.... An MR88 just appeared on Audio Classic's website.

18. exhippy

Audio Classic's is wanting $2900 for that B1 rated (some light scratches.) MR88. ...and I was wrong, $4,500 for original list price.
    Audio Classics is a great place to do business. If your looking to buy used Mac keep an eye on their web site. I bought my couple months old C52 from them for thousands less.

19. mdewire

mdewire AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have an MR88 and am lucky to live in San Antonio TX. They have a great Jazz station here, KRTU that recently increased their power to 32KW. The audio quality is excellent with very little compression applied in their transmission. They play Jazz from 5:00am until 10:00pm and switch over to Indy Rock since this is a college station. There some good HD2 stations here as well.

20. Snappahead

Snappahead AK Subscriber Subscriber

I listen to FM all the time.

ron-c likes this.