MS-300 vs High-End Formats

Negotiableterms

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Subscriber
This will probably be deemed a stupid question, but I'll just have to accept the embarrassment: Can the MS-300 handle any of the high-end music formats, such as Stereo-SACD, HDCD, XRCD(?), etc. If not now, could it happen with a firmware upgrade?

Frankly, I don't understand the differences between these and PCM code, or how they relate to the DACs used, and I have no idea how FLAC works, or how it would relate to the type of datastream involved. I understand it can't do multi-channel, but beyond that, I admit, I'm thoroughly confused.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Stereo CDs will work fine, which XRCD is one of. DVD-A or DSD will not work but the CD layer can be stored on the MS300. Your DVD will output the CD layer on these 'Hi-Rez' disks through its' digital output.
I was running the MS300 during a dealer event last week and 'music appreciation 101' was a lot of fun. Everyone kept writing down CD titles they wanted to buy. The MS300 was fed into the MDA1000 driving MC501s and XRT28 speakers. Great sounding system if I do say so.
Ron-C

The MDA1000 is always a big improvement over all other D-to-A conversions. If you play the MS300 through the MDA1000 it is the same as using my other normal transports. FLAC keeps all the bits.

Ron-C

Thanks Ron-c. What about SACD and HDCD? Will the MDA-1000 work with SACD? If not, is McIntosh likely to support SACD in the future? I've come to really appreciate the improvement of SACD over CD, but it seems like the world is moving away from bit-intensive formats and towards smaller file sizes. Thanks again!

The MDA1000 was designed to yield the maximum sound quality out of the main format, CDs. DVD-A and SACD are a side show at this point and yes we support both with our MVP861 which is the most popular McIntosh model.
The MVP861 has a very advanced DSD section which is 10 to 12 Db lower in distortion than other SACD players at 10 KHz. It is interesting to hear SACD without the modulated high frequency background hiss so common on most machines. THD + Noise levels of 1 to 3 percent (!) at 10KHz are very typical on most players. This is a function of the DSD decoding not DSD as a format but the very large ultrasonic DSD noise characteristic tends to lead to modulation noise in the audio passband.

Ron-C

Back
Top Bottom