1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

MSB Gold Link - anyone change pins to upsample 132?

Discussion in 'DACs' started by rruffin, Feb 10, 2018.

1. rruffin

rruffin New Member

Greetings. Finally found a pdf User’s Manual for the Gold Link. Is says there is a pin that, if changed, will allow an increase from 96 to 132 MHz as the highest upsampling rate. They admit that this rate is over spec, but suggest trying it anyway.

Has anyone tried this? Thanks in advance.

Rick

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Mamrak1

Mamrak1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

That is an old DAC from the early 2000s. I owned that and the power base that went with it. I did remember changing the pin configuration back then. I couldn’t hear any sound improvements.

3. rruffin

rruffin New Member

Thanks. Was wondering if it was worth the trouble...

4. Mamrak1

It shouldn’t be much trouble to unscrew the top and change the jumper. That way you verify that it is an improvement or not. Just remember that unit is ancient compare to today’s DACs.

5. rruffin

rruffin New Member

Yes, little trouble... And thanks for reminding me about the improvements in dacs. We are very lucky that technology keeps giving us better sound reproduction equipment so rapidly. However, I must say that this ancient dac, used with an upgraded power supply (Monolithic HC-2b) and a modern usb to s/dif adapter, sounds pretty good. My buddies use Schiit Yggrasil dacs and they both have been positively impressed with the sound of the Gold Llink - especially after one of them "cleaned" the inside, including all the contacts. Frankly, I have not wanted to take them up on their offer to borrow one for a listen - didn't really want to compare until I was ready to upgrade (even to a Gungnir). Your statement is motivating me to give a modern dac a try.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  6. Mamrak1

Depending on your wallet and what you need to use it for, there are plenty of modern dacs that would work for you. I am using the Oppo Sonica Dac at present. It sounds great but there are cheaper units to be sure.

Please register to disable this ad.