MT-200 transistors, one last save, maybe.

tarior

Dirty pool, old man?
Subscriber
Hi guys. As many of you know, SanKen is going to discontinue all MT-200 package power transistors. They will be taking orders for them until the end of June of this year. The minimum order is 500 pieces.
Digi-Key, at present, has no plans to re-stock any of them. What there is in stock right now is it. When they are gone, they are gone.
We can't stop SanKen from obsoleting these parts, but maybe we can talk one of their distributors into keeping them on hand for us just a little while longer.

Here's what you can do: Call Digi-Key, ask to speak with the product manager, and explain your desire for them to restock these parts one last time. If enough of us call, TPTB at Digi-Key might have a change of heart and restock one last time.

It's worth a try.
While we're at it, it wouldn't hurt to call B&D as well.

Surely B&D will end up stocking these after the mainstream stockists stop - I can see them doing pretty well out of this situation.....

B&D is still selling single MT-200's, I'm glad I ordered extra when I rebuilt my integrated, I have enough to rebuild one channel again, I better put them somewhere safe.

Chip1stop has good prices on some types... it seems that their prices vary based on stock they have...

What are digikey prices like?

Thinking of carrying 100 of each - which will be done over a few months

I’ll tell ya, all this hubbub; between here and the other thread will make it's way back. Most publically accessed info here usually does find its way to manufacturers ears. I wonder that (ultimately) a change of heart occurs. Especially if any current amps (~7 years to now) use MT200’s.
Sometimes things look good on paper but don’t pan out that way in real life.

Chip1stop has good prices on some types... it seems that their prices vary based on stock they have...

What are digikey prices like?

Thinking of carrying 100 of each - which will be done over a few months

Digi-Key charges $5-$7 each, depending upon quantity.

Shipping from US to Australia vs. shipping from Japan to Australia, I think, may be a factor for you.

I’ll tell ya, all this hubbub; between here and the other thread will make it's way back. Most publically accessed info here usually does find its way to manufacturers ears. I wonder that (ultimately) a change of heart occurs. Especially if any current amps (~7 years to now) use MT200’s.
Sometimes things look good on paper but don’t pan out that way in real life.

That was why I was suggesting for everyone to call Digi-Key. To make sure information reaches the right ears.

The MT200 case transistors simply aren't being used much anymore. That's no doubt a reason they ditched them. It's has to do with overall demand. As far as leftover stock is concerned, get ready for the price to go up. Other case types such as the TO247 and some TO3P can be used as a replacement. It would be a case of drilling a pilot hole between the two existing holes, then using a self tapping screw.

I'm kinda lazy. I don' wanna drill a hole if I don't have to. MT-200s sure are a nice fit on the Pioneer NSA amps and such.

Buy a bunch of each type that you might need.
Could always sell them when the price goes up.

Yes, there gobs of TO3P and TO247 transistors that will work in place of MT-200s. I just really like being able to order a part and not have to break out a drill or perform some other modification.

Yes, there gobs of TO3P and TO247 transistors that will work in place of MT-200s. I just really like being able to order a part and not have to break out a drill or perform some other modification.

I like to do that as well. However lack of availability and significant price increases tend to motivate me to seek other options.

Last edited:
TO-247 looks like it's going to be next on the chopping block, judging from what is available at Digi-Key and Mouser.

BTW, if anyone needs 2SC3264, Arrow has 450+. Free shipping (USA) on orders over $20. That's the only MT-200 part # they have.

Buy a bunch of each type that you might need.
Could always sell them when the price goes up.

It's what I did a month ago, spending over $300 at Digikey on taking stock for two complementary pairs of these Sanken trannies
Should be enough for years to come, and who knows making a few $ on them in 25 years time :)

TO-247 looks like it's going to be next on the chopping block, judging from what is available at Digi-Key and Mouser.

The 247 case itself is not likely to go anywhere anytime soon. There are simply too many types of devices using it, especially power mosfets. In fact Infineon (Formerly International Rectifier ) introduced some new power devices fairly recently using it. There's also the TO264 case being used by devices such as 2SC5200 or FJL4315. I guess the bottom line here is, those who miss out on the remaining MT-200s, aren't in any danger once they dry up. Nor will distributors necessarily have people over a barrel in terms of price who work with an amp using them in the future.

You're quite right, Glen. Even if they all do dry up, a very wide range of TO-3P will probably be around for the foreseeable future. I just have a love for using parts that don't require heatsink mods. I am also very fond of the JIS numbering system.

Back
Top Bottom