MT2 – Anybody has problems with hum?

kingstoneage

Hi,
i just recognized a hum coming from my new MT2 turntable! Anybody recognized this also? Have you any solutions to eliminate the hum?
I detected the hum decreases when i press with my fingers on the downside of the turntable. The hum is audible when the volume is high.
The hum comes from the speakers when the Phono–input is selected.
Thanks in advance for any replies!:beerchug:

Last edited:
Hi, my MT2 still suffers from hum......
My dealer connected the german distributor, who said there is an Upgradekit with a new headshell included. With the new headshell installed, the hum will disappear........
But the upgradekit isn‘t for free, i have to pay for it………………:eek:

Have anybody installed this upgradekit? Is there really a upgradekit which eliminates the hum problem?

I have no handson experience with the MT2 but do have 40 years experience setting up turntables.

There has always been certain cartridges and turntable susceptible to picking up noise and/ or have hum issues.

Have you tried redressing the cabling from the table making sure it is as far away from power cords as possible.....does moving them about change the hum?

I can find no close up picture of the headshell of the MT2.... But of what I can see it is not like any of the traditional headshells that have been standards for decades.

Back in the day we did find that under certain circumstances non metal headshells could not be used with certain cartridges, conductive plastics would work but non conductive ones caused issues especially when the owner would approach the live cartridge with their hand.

The MT2 is supplied with it's own HO MC cartridge so that's unlikely to be the culprit.

It's difficult to believe a dealer isn't making a bee-line to home of the buyer of a new MA9000 and MT2. Piss poor service. :thumbsdown:

I solved hum problems with my MT-5 by attaching a heavy (16 gauge stranded wire) wire from the MT-5's tonearm base (where the tonearm is anchored to to turntable) to the phono ground wire (which was grounded to the phono preamp). It reduced hum by about 80%. The fellow who is having hum problems may wish to try this....

I solved hum problems with my MT-5 by attaching a heavy (16 gauge stranded wire) wire from the MT-5's tonearm base (where the tonearm is anchored to to turntable) to the phono ground wire (which was grounded to the phono preamp). It reduced hum by about 80%. The fellow who is having hum problems may wish to try this....

Oh that‘s interesting! I will try this! Do you have a picture of this construction?

100_0060.JPG 100_0059.JPG
Oh that‘s interesting! I will try this! Do you have a picture of this construction?

I use a large gauge banana plug connector plugged into the grounding screw plug on the back of the turntable. I then cut off the other banana plug connector leaving stranded wire and attach it under one of the Allen-wrench head (or maybe it's a TORX head?) screws that hold the tonearm to the "plinth"....

It's an embarrassing setup (Audiophiles exclaim "Oh... you're changing the geometry of the tonearm!!!"), but it works and my turntable sounds fabulous.

Last edited:
View attachment 1464394 View attachment 1464395

It's an embarrassing setup (Audiophiles exclaim "Oh... you're changing the geometry of the tonearm!!!"), but it works and my turntable sounds fabulous.

I don't wish to pile on but that wire cannot be helpful to the precision anti skating adjustments needed for optimal tracking as well as minimizing stylus and record wear. I'd suggest looking for a suitable grounding point within the chassis.

I'm sorry but in the spirit of friendly helpfulness (or so I hope it will be taken) that wire has to got to go! :)

I don't wish to pile on but that wire cannot be helpful to the precision anti skating adjustments needed for optimal tracking as well as minimizing stylus and record wear. I'd suggest looking for a suitable grounding point within the chassis.

I'm sorry but in the spirit of friendly helpfulness (or so I hope it will be taken) that wire has to got to go! :)

Think and give advice on whatever you want.... My HiFi news test record has no buzzes on track 8 (the anti-skate worst torture test) and none of my records has any inner-groove distortion. Grounding to other parts of the chassis etc doesn't do as effective a job as where I'm grounding it.

View attachment 1464394 View attachment 1464395

I use a large gauge banana plug connector plugged into the grounding screw plug on the back of the turntable. I then cut off the other banana plug connector leaving stranded wire and attach it under one of the Allen-wrench head (or maybe it's a TORX head?) screws that hold the tonearm to the "plinth"....

Thank you very much for your photos!

In this case I'd think you wouldn't need a heavy gauge wire- since you've found that it works, I'd sub in some fine (and flexible) litz wire; all you're doing is adding (or enhancing) the ground.

The points expressed earlier reflect a dismay that the factory hasn't obviated these modifications on what is an expensive device.

In this case I'd think you wouldn't need a heavy gauge wire- since you've found that it works, I'd sub in some fine (and flexible) litz wire; all you're doing is adding (or enhancing) the ground.

The points expressed earlier reflect a dismay that the factory hasn't obviated these modifications on what is an expensive device.
My thoughts exactly ... tt > grounding ... seems like design 101 stuff to me ...

Back
Top Bottom