Muddy numbers....

WildWest

Ok sooooooo part of these numbers I get, part I don't. With respect to my AVR. I was going to use it for component video switching. I have two component video in and one out. (Still leaves me short one IN) I decided to buy a video switcher.

As I look at the manual for my AVR I see in the video section that it has a video frequency response of "10hz-8Mhz(-3db)" So then I find a nice video switcher and I e mail them for the specs on it. They tell me it is 65 Mhz @ -3db. Now if I understand it right, the HD signal needs 35Mhz? Is my AVR that poor or what? The water is muddy here, anyone? :dunno: Why do they list a db in a video section?

So check your AVRs dudes as I just heard the required bandwidth for 1080i is 33.5Mhz and very few AVRs will pass this through at this number. Either run your 1080i direct or get a better component video switcher.

WW,

I've always heard 35 mhz bandwidth for component video. Very few receivers have this - mainly just high end ones - Denon 3000-4000 series, B&K, Carver etc.

Sounds like the switcher is the way to go for you. A little less convenient though.

I still use S-Video for everything, but it is nice not having to change the input each time I switch back and forth.

JD

Originally posted by WildWest
Why do they list a db in a video section?

The -3dB point (half power) has long been the standard for describing bandwidth. As a standard, a wide audience can readily understand and interpret the information provided. A bandwidth claim without limits expressed in dB holds little value as insufficient information is provided to draw a conclusion about the performance.

I have all my video directly into the HDTV from their various devices, didn't even try messing with video switching and the AVR, good thing eh ;)

Yes, yes...Likely a very good thing. Sadly, TVs that are a few years old typically have only one set of HI DEF (1080i) component inputs. I have 3 items I need to plug in so I have to get a switch that will pass the signal properly. Seems there are a few difffernt brands out there. Many are not cheap but a few are. Funny though, as some product sites don't list the Mhz. I have been having to e mail a few of them so far. Got one answer to date but that unit is a bit pricey. Its an auto signal sensing device though so that would be rather bishin...we'll see. Gotta get them DAMN subs in the house before I get wrapped up in some other gawd damn issue... uggghhhhhh

I have two HD inputs on my TV, DVD in one and just use a regular $15 Rat Shack A/V swith to switch between the XBOX and the HD Cable box, you just gotta make sure you match up the colors since they are colored red, white, yellow and not the blue, green, red or what ever they are for HD ;) Don't know about Mhz or nothing but I know it works ;) I imagine you could use a 3 or 4 way switch the same way.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_003_010_011_000&product_id=15-1952

Last edited:
Sadly, if I wasn't worried about the proper bandwidth I could use my AVR. But with reduced bandwidth comes reduced picture. I need to find a device that can pass 35Mhz or above or it's not for me. Most that I find are not budget. One I found has conflicting information on their site and they don't answer e mail contact so phuck them, no sale. Another is a bit more money 168.00 but it will pass the signal properly.

You just need the thing I am using all it does is pass a signal (any) it has two sets of inputs (3 RCA's each) and one output to the TV, just cuz they are colored RED, WHITE, YELLOW, doesn't mean you need to use them for RIGHT STEREO, LEFT STEREO, VIDEO, just like you don't have to have IC's that are colored a certain color for them to work you just have to make sure the corresponding colors going in match the colors out to the TV, works perfect I watch HDTV through mine with no problems. $15

Well my component video switch hit today. Nice little unit and there is no guess work as to weather it will pass the signal or not for they list the specs which many switches do not. This is a nice unit. It will be great to have it in the mix now.

LATER THAT WEEK...

Got the switch all installed and I just love that auto signal sensing abillity. Sure has made my life easier around the old audio/video rack.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom