Multi Disc DVD player???

realjimjim

I'd like to find a good/reliable unit . . . even a good condition used one would do . . . I'm getting older and the getting up to change discs on my trusty old Sony single disc player is getting stale.

Can anyone give me some recommendations on some of the better more reliable brands/models please?

I noticed there are no used ones for sale on Barter Town. Where else can I look besides eBay and Craigslist?

Thanks for the help and advice!

I have a Sony 5 disc model I picked up at Goodwill, works great but only has Component and Composite output, perfectly fine for standard DVD's though if your set has those inputs.

They are really handy for watching season sets of TV shows, usually the whole season will fit.

Our local Goodwill does not carry electronics, the guy told me they send it all to the Goodwill online auction place. Just my luck, huh? LOL!

There aren't too many out there.

I've got a Toshiba 2805 which I picked up about 12 - 15 years ago that still works* but I wouldn't wait until you find one. There aren't really a lot of them, or any changers, out there. A lot are way old, and due to their mechanical complexity, have probably been sent to the recycle bin when they required service.

Amazon has a bunch but they are either used, exorbitantly priced, or both.

* I throw in five CD's and set it to random play for gatherings.

Last edited:
From personal experience (since I still use one) I'd suggest the
Sony CDP-CX355.

Having logged 100's of hours on the unit, it's not missed a beat(literally). They're build like a tank, and hold 300 discs, so they ain't no little piece of equipment that you can hide in the corner on the stand.

There's scads of things that you can arrange with it, including grouping according to the way you like.

Loading them can be a bit of a pain, but once the discs are in, you're good to go, eh?

Anyways, that's my take on your inquiry.

Q

I think the CDP-CX355 plays cds only. OP is looking for a DVD changer.

There is a nice looking unit on the Syracuse CL that holds 400 disks and has HDMI out. Provided a Link for your reference. No affiliation.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/ele/5943326492.html

Edit: model is Sony DVP-CX995V 400 Disc DVD/CD Changer

DUH!:confused: Back to school.

Well, if anyone's lookin' for a CD changer, I've now covered that.

Thanks Holyman.

Q

I just did a quick Best Buy and Crutchfield search, and it seems there are no new DVD or Blu-Ray changer models being built. So, as you've stated, you'll have to go used. For used players, I'd look for Sony, Denon, Pioneer, and Yamaha. All built decent sounding players, that were also reliable.

I have 2 or 3 of them that I've picked up in thrift stores. If your local goodwill doesn't cary them, maybe you can seek out another thrift shop. I have several thrift shops in my area from other affiliations and I'd be surprised if you didn't. I very frequently see DVD changers in there. If you get an outboard DAC (for music anyways) then just about any changer will do as a transport.

Thanks for your help guys! I found a Sony 5 disc player with remote on eBay, they fully tested it and it has a 30 day return, $65 with shipping so I went with that.

I live way out in the country, mostly John Deeres, corn, beans and such talk. No vintage audio fans out here.

We have three nearby junk stores and only one will sell electronics and she always will take a return if it doesn't work.
This past Tuesday I asked her about a DVD multi disc player and she said she hasn't seen one in over five years. While
we were talking my eye got a glimpse of a few new items . . . . She said they were $20.00 each for me (we know her really well)
so I brought all four items home. Here is my new score . .

JVC XL-F154bk 5 Disc CD Player (got for my buddy) $20.00
Pioneer CT-W503R Dual Cassette Tape Deck (got for my buddy) $20.00
Sony TC-WE305 Dual Cassette Tape Deck $20.00
Sony CDP-CX235 200 CD player with Remote $20.00

But I digress . . . . so I'm all set for my layz man's DVD multi disc player for now anyway.

Again, thanks for all the help, ideas, etc.!

I have a Sony that works when it decides to. It's a funny story behind how I got it!

I work for a regional rent to own company, and I've been there for a while. A buddy was renting a huge system-receiver, 5 disc Sony changer, and all 5 speakers, with the front ones being almost as tall as I am. He paid a ton of money into it, then he returned it. He never got back up on his feet to be able to get it back. We won some kind of a contest at the time, and I got an in store credit of $500 as a bonus. I took home that system, paying only $10 in tax! I replaced the small satellite speakers meant for the rear channels with my Marantz speakers I got in high school, and I purchased a Yamaha powered subwoofer to go with it.

Back
Top Bottom