Multi-disk CD Players?

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by Ross6860, May 1, 2017.

1. Ross6860

Ross6860 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Anyone want to recommend some multi-disk CD players I can research? Can be new or used. but prefer used for bang-for-the-buck.

Looking for at least decent quality and reliability. Three disks is enough.

Just want it for my bedroom system so I can load it up and go to sleep.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ross6860

Since I like Yamaha I'll have to look at the CD-C600

Found a couple on CL local. A Technics NIB and a Nakamichi.

How is Nakamichi's reputation for CD players?

KevinCorr likes this.
  3. HTHMAN

HTHMAN Super Member

You might look at a multi-disc DVD player too. I have an old Sony 5 disc DVD player that is built like a tank. I see them and others on CL all the time for next to nothing.

4. KevinCorr

KevinCorr AK Subscriber Subscriber

I gave my Mom an Onkyo 6 disk player that sounded good and lasted a long time. Pretty cheap too. Can't go wrong. It had a random feature that was fun.

5. Mamrak1

Mamrak1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have used CD carousels for more than twenty years. I like players that have a power button and the ability to kick out the tray on the remote. I dislike players that have the disc buttons located under the tray. It's difficult to access when the tray is open. A new player that I like is the Onkyo Integra CDC 3.4 . They are difficult to find however. Onkyo also makes a cheaper player that you can find on Amazon or Crutchfield.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  6. Drumolator

Drumolator Super Member

The Sony in my signature has been used daily for almost three years and still works great. Peace and goodwill.

7. Opus

Opus Active Member

I'm really happy with my Denon DVM-3700 DVD 5 Disc player.

Opus

8. marysdad

marysdad Member

I really like my Sony C85ES multi disk player.

9. Lavane

Lavane AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have an old RS CD5000 6 disc cartridge player that has been used a lot since it was bought new. Its a rebranded Philips/Marantz. Its used at my bench now. It had constant daily use for the first 20 years of its life and keeps chugging along.

10. beowolf9

beowolf9 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I like the Yammies too. My daily driver CDC-655 has been a workhorse and other than a new drawer belt, no problems with it.

11. mkane

mkane AK Subscriber Subscriber

Ours is an Nakamachi MB-10 5 disc bank changer. So far so good.

12. Sound Dragon

Sound Dragon AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm using a Sony NC555ES. It's a DVD changer and does SACD also. They are silver though which is great is you have silver faced gear! Sounds great and can be had for not much dough!

scoville likes this.
  13. simm

simm Member

I have been using a Yamaha DVD-CX1 5 disc changer since 2003 or 2004 and it is still going strong. It was a flagship piece at the time and is a very solid performer. Plays DVD's, DVD-A, and CD's.

14. scoville

scoville AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have the NC 555 ES in my office system. It's CD dedicated. Nice to have the SACD option there. My master Bedroom system has the C 701 ES. The original ES changer I believe. both sound spectacular.
    Yes Sony's.

Sound Dragon likes this.
  15. ilusndweller

ilusndweller Super Member

Ive had good luck with Yamaha. The belts to open and close the drawer go but are easily replaced with rubber bands that seem to hold up well so far(4 years and counting). Ive been using the cdc-625 and just picked up a cdc-815 a few weeks ago. Replaced both belts and good to go. The 815 sometimes takes 15 seconds to get to the next disk. The motor that rotates the disk into position goes really slow the last few millimeters/meanwhile you can "hear" it thinking about finding the right location (or Im imagining things). Other than that works and sounds nice. Had it open but couldnt pinpoint the dac chip(s).

16. cgutz

cgutz AK Member

Sony ES series if you can find one (I don't have an ES). I have several non ES 5 disc Sony's and they work well. Sound better than a TEAC 5 disc I had prior to these.

17. Mockduck

Mockduck New Member

I was able to acquire a Sony CDP-735 5-Disc changer for the low price of Free! :) Co-worker made a bad decision that I took advantage of...

It is a great-sounding player, well designed in my opinion, and sounds excellent. It also has a Digital Audio output, which is nice. You can get them on eBay and such for less than $100. Here's a pic, from a random eBay listing:

[​IMG]

If you are into it you can set various audio EQ profiles into memory, and add reverb/EQ with a dial to make it more/less. I ignore that stuff, though, and just use Digital out.

Drumolator likes this.
  18. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

I used to think they were all trash.
    Too many moving parts to be long term reliable.
    When I first got back into audio, a friend gave me a Kenwood rack system thing.
    The drawer belt was bad (or table belt, or ?)
    I fixed it and went on a 8 year hate of multidisc players.
    What a cheap junk pain in the butt!

Then I started getting the "good" multi disk players.
    Higher end stuff.
    The Sony ES stuff is sweet and the belt on one I opened was "Right There!" (and it was good!)
    I have/had Marantz too. Real nice.

Good used players are available.
    IF you can determine that the old one WAS higher end in the beginning, you got a chance at a decent deck.

As said, some of the higher end multidisc DVD are pretty nice too.

I still recommend avoiding the cheap light mostly plastic ones.
    I throw a lot of those away.

19. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

Can't recommend multi-disk systems except for convenience. Some higher end Sony Mega-storage models have variable output which is a very useful feature.

20. Ross6860

The old Technics I use in my bedroom has a variable output (actually a six step attenuation if I remember). This is extremely useful since I run it through a vintage receiver with no remote.