Multi-room Home Stereo Wiring - What Are My Options?

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by rave0035, Jan 16, 2017.

1. tom1066

tom1066 Chum is Fum. Subscriber

I did get the one with three nodes. I will eventually add more nodes as the kids start to use more wifi in their rooms and such. Google made them just so easy to use - its kind of like cell service towers in that the Google network figures out depending where you are in relationship to the nodes which one will work best and at what frequency. I have yet to have a problem with it and I use several sonos connects, google chromecast for TVs, amazon firesticks, two amazon echos, etc. Before the router change, things would work but not all the time like they were supposed to and now they do.

EDIT - I sound like a paid shill for Google but I have no affiliation, etc with them. It has just been nice to have wifi that works.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    uofmtiger likes this.
  2. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

Thanks for the update. I am more of an Apple fanboy, but I was very impressed with the OnHub. Even when I just had the OnHub, it improved my signal all over the house and even out in the yard. I am sure these are even better, given the technology, but I am going to wait a few months to see if they drop in price a bit before I jump in.

Edit: I don't think you came off as a shill at all.

3. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

I wanted to update that I decided to go with an Orbi mesh system. The main reason is that I was a little worried about getting another Google router after my OnHub stopped working. It may have just been the power surge, but it worried me since nothing else in my house was affected by it.

To install the Orbis, I simply turned off the wifi on my TP Link router (they actually have a switch right on the router) and use the Orbis for wifi. I already had the TP Link setup to forward certain ports and it was easier just to add on the Orbis rather than removing the old router. The signal appears to be 100 percent all over the house. However, I needed enough signal to extend into the yard since we spend so much time out there and it seems to pick up a strong signal out there, too. Also, Wirecutter recommended the Orbis, so I was fairly confident that they would work for me. They are expensive, but they were on sale when I bought them and they had an extra $30 coupon on Amazon, so they were the same price as the Google mesh system.

tom1066 likes this.
  4. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Active Member

My wife got some ridiculous quote to wire her salon for background music. I ended up just using a couple of 2.1 systems meant for PCs (hivi swan m10), and feeding each with a chromecast audio. It works well, but I had to upgrade the wfi router, the cable company provided one was too spotty.