Multi-Speaker outputs a thing of the past?

I was also pondering the *new* 252 and it occurred to me one could use a pass-through powered subwoofer to power an additional pair of speakers. However that would give both of your extra pair mono sound, not sure if that's an issue. Also, wondering if the 252's subwoofer output is full range.

The other solution I was pondering, if I get serious about a 252 (AFTER serious testing/reviewing/proving have been done), would be to use my 4300 V as a source/switcher (into one of the pair of RCA inputs on the 252) and then could use the 4300V amp to power more speakers. But again, I do not know if that's practical (suspect it's not, because if one wanted more volume on the 4300's speakers, could present issues feeding into the 252). (Would also eliminate the advantage of the balanced inputs on the 252 as a source for all of my speaker pairs.)

I’m bowing out on the 252, and any amp upgrade for that matter. My system is working well and fulfilling all of my needs. Plus, I’m not sure I can accommodate it’s depth in my stereo cabinet. Looking forward to reading impression on the amp from others. If I ever move and have a room dedicated to listening, I may upgrade then. Plus, I’m sure the exposed tubes would be too enticing to young children...

Have used a 4300 as the main preamp/ tuner, added a dedicated large amp for the main speakers then ran 3 IR sensors in extra rooms where added speakers were.

Would not do that today because there are so many more versatile options but 20 years ago our options were limited.

I currently have a Sansui 8080 receiver with 3 sets of speaker outputs. When doing up my house I painstakingly put conduits under new parquet flooring (can't be taken up without destroying it) and in concrete underneath ceramic tiles into a dining room and kitchen respectively from my main listening (living) room. The 8080 has done a fantastic job but I've always aspired to enter the world of Mac and was thinking of upgrading to the MA252 if, when I get to demo, it sounds as I imagine it would.
Could I link up 2 power amps to the 252 and use them to run the speakers in the other 2 rooms?
I have some of the Musical Fidelity M1 range which I think is great VFM and was hoping to buy 2 M1 PWR amps for this purpose. Sadly, they've been discontinued but someone mentioned Marantz have a decent and fairly low priced Power Amp. My budget would not stretch to 2 Mac Power Amps for, what essentially are, 2 secondary listening rooms which I use either for background music at dinner parties or for radio in the kitchen.
I am sure there are more modern wireless options to bring audio to my other 2 rooms but I am not interested - I understand what is going on with a central bank of hi-fi separates and speaker cable going under the floor/behind walls.
If not I will keep looking out for an affordable second-hand C2500 and a basic power amp like the 152 as I tend to listen at relatively low volumes and I believe the C2500 has the functionality to add 2 cheaper power amps for my secondary listening rooms.
Is my thinking flawed in any way/ridiculously stupid?
Thanks

Just buy the damn switcher. You will never know it is in there. Never. The amplifier will not behave any differently whether two pair of 8 ohm speakers are connected or a single pair of 4 ohm speakers.

The MAC4100, 4200 and 4300 receivers are designed to run up to three pair of 8 ohm speakers which is only 2.67 ohms. There's a serious problem somewhere If the MA252 is capable of anything less.

Ultimately I have to agree with this sentiment. Right now, because I had to send the 4300 out for some overdue service, I'm running a Mc754 through a Niles SVC-4 switcher, and honest-too-goodness I cannot hear anything less than great McIntosh sound, even when all three speaker sets are dialed in. The SVC-4 is not your ordinary cheap switch box (damn thing weighs as much as my old NAD preamp) so that may account for the more-than-satisfactory SQ. But I think a similar high-quality switcher would do fine with a new McIntosh amp. Niles SVC4.jpeg

PS - 62caddy: I see you have a Pioneer PL-518 table. Me too. Love that beast. Gave it to my daughter to take to college and its doing yeoman service. Had it since 1976.

Back
Top Bottom