multiple cd's on dvd?

CJ_S

Last night i picked up a dvdp so i could listen to music cd's upstairs in my living room. What i was wondering was if it is possible to take a 4 cd compilation and burn it to a single dvd. I've got a ton of mp3's and would love to be able to transfer them to dvd. I could do it in mp3 format but would prefer to change them over to wav's instead. Anyone know any programs to do this or if a standard dvd would even read a disc like this?

mp3s

If the files are mp3s you have lost information that was thrown out when the file was compressed. Making an mp3 into a wav will not bring back that info. I would stay wav for the whole transfer if possible. If they are in wav format the dvd player should be able to read them.

Why not just burn your CD's over to DVD, and keep them in PCM format?

CD's can hold up to 700MB of info, single-layer DVD's 4.7GB. So you could theoretically burn 6+ CD's over to a DVD with no loss of musical info. I think that answers your initial question.

Now, as far as formatting: DVD's are formatted as a data file, with subfolders and certain files within those folders. It's not at all like a Red Book (audio) CD. So what you'll need to do is to find out where to put all your audio files within the DVD data structure to make them play properly, when you're formatting your files to burn to DVD.

How to do this: Do a Google search, or, better yet, RT*M that came with your DVD burner software.

Last edited:
I don't think DVD's will read multiple CD's burned onto it's disc as "CD's". I don't think you could even burn individual CD tracks onto DVD and play them back. I think because the DVD player does not have the programming to read Redbook info. You'd have to record them onto DVD as FLAC files for the best sound, then play them back as FLAC - providing your DVD player plays back FLAC files, otherwise you're stuck with MP3's. I could be wrong, but I've asked many people that same question. It would be great to fit many CD's in full PCM onto a DVD for playback - but no go. I've even tried it myself with my DVD burner, but my DVD player won't read them.

Edit to last post: It seems that most home DVD players will not play back DVD's with MP3's encoded on them, only CD-R's, due to the GUI interface lacking MP3 control playback in DVD playback mode. Maybe someone has heard of a DVD player that will playback MP3's recorded onto a DVD-R?

Maybe someone has heard of a DVD player that will playback MP3's recorded onto a DVD-R?
The IO Data Linkplayer will play music off of a DVD-R or DVD+RW. It will also play music from a network, USB drive, CDR, etc...

JimmyNeutron said:
Maybe someone has heard of a DVD player that will playback MP3's recorded onto a DVD-R?
Yessir, later Sonys will do this. My friend with the HT setup has a Sony DVD player that will play back anything except WMA files. I had him try a DVD I had made of a load of backed-up MP3's and boom! Music.

Tom

EDIT:
Sweet merciful crap! I'm wrong! :cry: It was a load of MP3 files on CD-R/CD-RW that played on the DVD player, NOT DVD-R/+R/-RW/+RW! I apologize for accidentally misleading all of you here. I thought it was on DVD and it was not. I'm truly sorry for the mistake!

Tom

Last edited:
I think some of you may have missunderstood me. I'm not looking to transfer my cd's to dvd but rather some mp3's i have to dvd. From what i understand my dvdp isn't able to read a dvd full of mp3's. What i want to do basically for example i have the allman brothers 4 disc comp "dreams" in mp3 format. Rather than burn to 4 seperate cd's i'd rather burn to a single dvd. I've got lots of mp3's so dvd is far better as i'll use up less discs. Seems like http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/ will allow me to do this. Not too mention most dvd players output mp3's at a bitrate of 256 while most of mine are 320. Rather minimise the compression as it is. :)

Last edited:
They will have to be burned in .cda format (it's only uncompressed .wav when it's on the computer ;)). This requires uncompressing, but the software will take care of that for you. No, you won't gain the lost information from the original .mp3 compression, but you'll be able to play it in a DVD player.

OvenMaster said:
Oh, yeah. 4.7GB of MP3's on one disc is great. Now with double-layer burners and discs (finally!) becoming more widespread, doubling this to over 9GB boggles the mind!
The Sony my friend got was a Wal-Mart $75 model, a DVP-NS501P. Progressive scan, dts, and will play CD, CD-R/RW, DVD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW; MP3 files, CD Red Book audio, DVD's of course, and even JPEG images in a slideshow. Plus it sounds fantastic. Check it out:thmbsp:

Tom

You see, now this raises a good point. Now that dual-layer burners are available and cheap, and you have the capacity to store 9 gigs of music on 1 disc, and surely DVD changers will soon offer MP3 playback via DVD disc's, imagine a SONY 400 disc mega-changer (like what they have now) with this capability!!! Why then would you spend $4000.00 on a McIntosh MS300 server with a limited 300 gig hard-drive when a 3600 gig (9 gig X 400 dual-layer DVD) could be had for under $500.00!?! Once you store the music on, and load up your discs into the changer, you would presumably use the GUI interface, just like a McIntosh or Escient Fireball, etc, to access all that music. It would be just as easy. Or am I missing something here? Other than the cool factor of owning a hard-drive based music server I see these mega-DVD servers becoming a competitive and attractive option!! :thmbsp:

JimmyNeutron said:
Why then would you spend $4000.00 on a McIntosh MS300 server with a limited 300 gig hard-drive when a 3600 gig (9 gig X 400 dual-layer DVD) could be had for under $500.00!?!
Because potentially the Mac will sound better and last longer than a megachanger, IMHO. 'Tis a tradeoff: lots of storage of so-so(?) music reproduction on a theoretically "mass market" brand versus a smaller amount of storage on a revered brand with a rep for excellence and a battleship build quality. Making that choice is easy for some, hard for others. :D
Tom

Last edited:
. Or am I missing something here? Other than the cool factor of owning a hard-drive based music server I see these mega-DVD servers becoming a competitive and attractive option!
Is there a DVD changer with a good GUI available that can access any song on any disc quickly? I went with an IO Data Linkplayer and network attached storage. The main reason is because I can access the NAS from anywhere in the house and I already had most of my music burned to my computer.

I have also burned many of my DVDs to my computer (then moved them to the NAS in order to access them without the need for the disc/computer). I may end up getting a 400 disc changer just for DVDs so I can save more HD programming to the NAS. Is it easy to navigate to any given movie quickly?

For HD programming, I would still need a hard drive based system because HD movies are over the 9GB limit.

When I play a disk that has MP3s on my DVD player I am not able to use the fast forward or reverse buttons. I either have to listen to the entire track or else skip to the next one. I think that you could fit the entire Allman collection you mentioned on 1 CD-R, given the MP3 format.

Sweet merciful crap! I'm wrong! It was a load of MP3 files on CD-R/CD-RW that played on the DVD player, NOT DVD-R/+R/-RW/+RW! I apologize for accidentally misleading all of you. I thought it was on DVD and it was not. I'm truly sorry for the mistake!
Tom

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom