Multiple tape switch for Turntables.

For what its worth, the only thing I'd be considering is the amount of capacitance for the phono preamp loading. Introducing such a box into the mix would certainly add more capacitance. This means that you'd more than likely have to lower the amount of capacitance at the input to the phono pre.

I'm assuming that the innards of that box doesn't have any circuitry of its own in it. It was designed for devices with much lower output impedances that found in a TT cart.

Cheers,

David

I tried it with a 3 foot cable and the sound suffered. Never tried it with a very short cable between the box and the amp, like 1 foot or less. You might want to experiment.

To solve the same problem, I'm using a Gemini scratch mixer with 3 separate phono stages into a tape input of my receiver and it sounds good to my ears. I'm sure purists will poo-poo it, but beyond buying three separate preamps I can't think of any other way to do it without constantly swapping cables.

The main thing you might notice with the switch-box would be a tiny increase in the hum level, insofar as the quality of shielding was designed for line level rather than phono level.

Fred Longworth

It will be with short cables. I just need a decent way to use my different tables. I get tired of having them just sit on a shelf or switching them out each time I get the idea I need to use one. It won't be my best decks, just a Marantz 6300, Marantz 6370Q and maybe an AR-XA. Just for fun. Serious audiofileness not required. If it doesn't work, I'll just switch cables.

Back
Top Bottom