Murder in the Hollywood Hills...

nooshinjohn

An estate sale in the shadows of the Hollywood sign this weekend featured an exceptionally rare example of The Fisher President MkVII. The pictures of the unit revealed it to be remarkably clean and 100% complete.

I arrived to the sale shortly after noon, and found a beautifully preserved cabinet with barely a flaw anywhere, it’s bifold doors closed. Showing an accumulation of too much Pledge wax and dust from several years sitting untouched, it was still a thing of beauty.

Then I opened up the heavy bi-fold doors, expecting to find treasures within, but instead found a reasonable representation of Capone’s safe... The cabinet had been gutted just an hour or so before I got there. The speaker grills cut to pull the drivers, electronics ripped from their bays and drawers, with the old wires hanging from their holes.

Before I walked out in disgust, I asked to speak with the guy running the sale and informed him what he allowed to occur. For a lousy 300 bucks, he allowed an irreplaceable console, of which very few were ever made, to be destroyed. The owner of the piece, cared for with obvious passion by the deceased, had been violated in horrific fashion, and he allowed it. The family trusted his company to respectfully sell this item, and instead let it be destroyed where it sat, not to mention shorting the family by not pricing it accordingly.

I felt like I witnessed a crime having been committed.

Tommorow afternoon, the remains of The Fisher President MkVII will be delivered to my home, inside is what remains of its ELAC turntable, a few broken wires and nothing else. My intent is to hopefully find the pieces needed to bring her back to life(I know... good luck on that), but likely will restore the finish on the cabinet and turn it into a record storage case.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and leads on finding the correct components are welcomed.

If all of a sudden a 202-R tuner, 400CX-2 preamp, SA-300B basic amplifier, and MPX-100 adapter show up at auction, you'll know who to go after! Such an incredible shame -- makes you sick in your gut. The electronic pieces do show up at auction so it could be put back together again, although the drivers may be another story -- but what a shame, what a shame........

Dave

I'm not PISSED:(, But I AM HIGHLY INCENSED!! :rant:

As for re-populating it , you could repop it with about any FISHER Gear you'd want to if you find the prices of the original type inhabitants too pricey. A FM-1000 or R-200 Tuner , and a X-1000 or X-202-B Integrated Amp would be pretty equal to the total separates. The FM-1000 and X-1000 were the TOTL separates in that era. The R200 and X202B were next in line. Then you wouldn't need a separate MPX-100. But that would leave a hole in the front. The 202-R probably would be fairly inexpensive for a tuner and would need the MPX-100 for Stereo. The Elac would plug right in no problem. Then you have the problem of the drivers and grill cloth. The drivers were probably Jensen's. I think it was a 12"?woofer, 8" mid (maybe 4 of them), and 3" tweters (4 of them). This is conjecture as there are no manuals on FISHERCONSOLES for the 62 President. Let's hope you can repoulate it rather than making it a record cabinet. Get with AK'er VENDO81 and see if he's got any idea's. He just picked up a complete President II model 3000. And he's in Southern California.

You can get BARTERTOWN ACCESS for a $25. subscription. No E-bay fee's, and the gear is usually in better condition, most of it has been rebuilt (unless otherwise noted) and prices are pretty good. Plus the sellers are fellow AK'er and adverse notes after sales is bad for reputations.

If you could somehow find the guy that purchased the components, you might be able to buy them back from him. There's a pretty good chance he wants to flip them on Craigslist or Ebay. It wouldn't hurt to post a WTB ad of sorts at least on CL with a bunch of keywords. Was the auction notice on CL in the first place? Could be he saw it there, meaning he's actively on CL.

An estate sale in the shadows of the Hollywood sign this weekend featured an exceptionally rare example of The Fisher President MkVII. The pictures of the unit revealed it to be remarkably clean and 100% complete.

I arrived to the sale shortly after noon

The cabinet had been gutted just an hour or so before I got there. The speaker grills cut to pull the drivers, electronics ripped from their bays and drawers, with the old wires hanging from their holes.

Not to be a jerk but that's why you get to estate sales an hour or so before they they open not shortly after noon especially if they are advertising a rare example of The Fisher President MkVII

As for the gutting did this take place within the premises?

Removing audio equipment from a console isn't as simple as ripping it from their bays or cutting speaker grills to pull drivers. I'm assuming there were some screws, nuts & bolts that needed various tools to loosen them. I'm not questioning you but I just can't see someone dismantling a unit like that in the middle of a sale in with people coming and going.

I don't know what kind of half-assed auction company the family hired, but I have never been to an estate auction that would allow you to "gut" anything--you buy it all as the "lot" that it is. You don't go in and look at a complete set of china or silver and expect to buy just the gravy boat and two tablespoons from those sets. You don't go in and look at complete dining room or bedroom sets and tell the guy that all you want are two chairs and that one nightstand. Clearly an uneducated "moron".

If all of a sudden a 202-R tuner, 400CX-2 preamp, SA-300B basic amplifier, and MPX-100 adapter show up at auction, you'll know who to go after!
I would say thats highly likely that the parts will be posted on the bay or his local CL from a flipper. They already knew how they wouldn't be able to sell it whole if shipping and saved money leaving the cabinet so they didn't need to dump it.. A audio guy would have taken the whole thing home.

Yeah, it's hard to believe that it was easier to hire a crew to take all the parts out than to carry the entire unit somewhere and dismantle it there. I mean the cabinet is just as valuable as the parts inside it to those who know, right? This sounds like a well-thought out plan. It wouldn't surprise me if there are operations like this all over, teams that monitor estate sales like this. As much as it is a shame to those who appreciate the unit intact, it is also a lucrative project. (oh crap, did I really just say that???)

according to the people running the sale, the guy spend the night sleeping in his car in front of the house specifically for the console. Once inside he looked it over and told them that it really wasn’t a President and was really a lesser model loaded in a President chassis. I highly doubt this as the pictures online showed the cabinet filled with the correct gear, including the badging.

He talked them way down on price (original was 1500.00), paid, then spent 4 hours on-site taking it all apart. At least that is what I was told...

Not to be a jerk but that's why you get to estate sales an hour or so before they they open not shortly after noon especially if they are advertising a rare example of The Fisher President MkVII

Nice in theory. I am a stay at home dad with a one year old son. That was my original plan, but he had other ideas.

It had the R2R as well...:(

There’s is a 400cx-2 on Eprey right now for 4100.00:eek2:

That's from a 1964 Regent. First Regent 400CX-2 I've seen

Real shame about the President. I'm very surprised it lasted until 11AM! Usually the local stereo hunters would be waiting in line a few hours before the sale.

I have a slightly different take. It is a shame the family did not receive a fair price and the company handling the sale dropped the ball. Criminal in the negotiation, seeing a guy camping all night! WTF!!!
Almost like a money handshake was involved somewhere along the line.

Never never sell at a discount the first few minutes of a sale......................... Just saying!

Now onto gutting the console, I'm guilty of doing this more then a few times. Never one so nice but once it is the new owners it is their to do with as they like. Stings but happens all the time.

Have sold to a collector who told me the pristine speakers and gear was going to a shed out back. Never to be used or sold. A real hoarder with plenty of cash. The first few times selling to him it stung a bit, I got over it. For awhile last summer heard some was under a tarp out back!
No worse then the buyer who left a fully restored Sansui and Advents OLA out in the rain at a keg party.

Barney

That's from a 1964 Regent. First Regent 400CX-2 I've seen

Real shame about the President. I'm very surprised it lasted until 11AM! Usually the local stereo hunters would be waiting in line a few hours before the sale.

The sale started @ 7am, and it was sold by 7:10.

Presidents show up in the Los Angeles area more often than you would think. I bought the components from two Presidents over last 2 years that met with the same fate. The first had been gutted years before. The second, a 1964 model had been freshly destroyed. When I asked about the cabinet he told me he "busted it to pieces cuz it was so large and heavy". Sure enough it had been cut up with a circular saw and broken up to go to the dump. The size of the President makes for an easy target. This is all I got from the cabinet...

Prez label.jpg

Presidents show up in the Los Angeles area more often than you would think. I bought the components from two Presidents over last 2 years that met with the same fate. The first had been gutted years before. The second, a 1964 model had been freshly destroyed. When I asked about the cabinet he told me he "busted it to pieces cuz it was so large and heavy". Sure enough it had been cut up with a circular saw and broken up to go to the dump. The size of the President makes for an easy target. This is all I got from the cabinet...

View attachment 1130825

Interested in helping me get this one singing again?

Back
Top Bottom