Murder in the Hollywood Hills...

Service manual??? None for the 64, but the 65 should do just fine as FISHER used the same gear in both years Presidents.

It was just dropped off... it is a 9000. Too dark to take pictures as it is outside until I get some work done on it, but it is solid, and better than I remember it looking. I wiped down a small section of the top and it shines underneath all the abuse.

We shall see what becomes of it.

Service manual??? None for the 64, but the 65 should do just fine as FISHER used the same gear in both years Presidents.

No service manual Larry. Just the owners manual and other paper work that came with the console. The guy told me he was going to throw them out :eek:

Even tore the grill cloth... unbelievable.

I like how the center doors slide into the cabinet. The rca mark I is like that.

Yes that looks like the one. Jose is the person who bought it I'm sure. I've mentioned him before and I was going to check his auctions tonight to see if it showed up. He is at EVERY estate sale that has audio items from LA to San Diego. A good friend told me he was at an auction at 4 AM recently, and Jose was already first in line. I stay away from the estate sales just because of that. I've bought a couple items off of Jose in the past, and he's very nice in person but obviously doesn't care about Fisher history :(

I spoke to him at great length yesterday about getting all the parts back. All he could do is laugh at me like it was some kind of game. I told him that to me, it’s like he found a numbers-matching, fuel injected 1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe, and only took the engine, leaving the rest for scrap. It’s not like they were already removed from the cabinet and on a shelf, or the cabinet was so far gone that it could not be restored. Again more laughter...

I then told him these consoles, restored and complete, are worth more than just taking them apart, and of a recent sale of a MkIX for over 8 grand. No more laughter.

When I first got into this hobby again, I was propelled by the find of a Sansui AU-20000/TU-9900 combo that I got from Goodwill for 40 bucks. I flipped the pair a week later for almost $3000.00. Over the years, and thanks to some friendships within the hobby, I have grown to have a deep respect for the true artistry of those that use wires, resistors, tubes and capacitors to create sound from electricity.

If I had gotten this console intact, I would have fixed it up and given it to my father in law. I might have sold it later on down the road as well, but would have never knowingly allowed it to come into the hands of someone that did not appreciate the significance of it. Some things in life are things we do not truly own, but merely possess as curators, protecting and caring for them until the next generation is ready to accept responsibility to care for them as we have.

Sadly there are those in this hobby not for the aural rewards or the history but rather to purely make a buck without regard to how they do it. It is because of people like this that we all loose.

Well, Nooshin, I don't know that we "loose". We still have all these great artifacts on which we work and feel great joy when listening to them.

You put perfectly what is so great about this hobby and what got me so excited about taking a stab at making it one of my new, and hopefully long-lasting hobbies: "the true artistry of those that use wires, resistors, tubes and capacitors to create sound from electricity." You hit it on the head. I have created music all my life (well, since my mom gave me a guitar when I was 9, 56 years ago) so I appreciate what it means to create something from nothing. I do it with musical instruments. These guys who I call the "gurus" on this forum, they do it with the components you cite. It's a beautiful, inspiring thing.

In this case, what was lost was a very rare console stereo from the epoch of its era. This was among the first of the Fisher line to use solid state for amplification and tubes everywhere else. One could argue that this particular model console pointed the direction forward for everything to become smaller, cheaper and disposable. Within a decade, the console was all but dead, and Fisher’s reputation as the leader in sound was all but gone as well.

I see the magnets for the center doors. I guess they're removable and do not slide into the cabinet?

So is there any hope of dealing with this serial console rapist or are you on a quest to make it whole from other sources?

Can't understand how people think, or don't. This isn't greed, this is just pathetic... HAHA, I ruined it and I'm proud of myself!

I would love to have a copy of that...
I'd be happy to make you a copy. I may have some other items from the console as well, and if I do I'll make you copies.

The cabinet looks good even though he tore through it not caring what got damaged. Sloppy job of pulling the grill cloth aside. Maybe one of the bolts was turning with the rear nut and he needed to hold it from the front. Usually the speakers are left intact. Hope the grill cloth is not torn :(

Wow...he even took the head shell and cartridge from the Elac and left it incomplete.

Looks like the turntable might be salvageable, but I would never use it anyway, as I have a TriangleArt for that purpose. The R2R is also easy to get, and maybe even the correct amplifier for it. The preamp and tuner are so far out of my range it will never happen.

I would like to get the cabinet in the hands of someone that can make it whole again, but barring that, I will turn it into what I am calling a “memory chest”. It will be filled with my record collection and other memories of my childhood/life... when my son begins a family of his own, I will pass it along to him.

John, like I said in my 1st post, you should be able to put one of the Tuner's Fisher had at the time. (you may need a small spacer as the MFT-300 was a couple inches wider than most everything except maybe the 1000 or R200 models. Toss in a X101-C or D or even an X202-B and you've got it licked. The 400cx or CX2 model preamps are gonna cost you one of Jose's Arm's and legs (and hopefully his family jewels), so that's a non starter unless you've got more money than Jerry Brown, and then only if it came from other than Calif.

Larry

The MFT300 must be a solid state tuner. The MF-300 that was in his cabinet is the same size as the 200R, FM200B, etc...

I agree Larry, a X101-C, X202B or even a KX200, along with any of the fine Fisher tuners would make for an exceptional console.

Back
Top Bottom